Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had these two cards in the beginning of the game. If you use CT this turn, and use TC next turn, you can take TWO goods from each other player.
It's kind of breaking the game, if everyone tries to repeat those two steps . If you don't, you are simply rip off by others who did. It made the starting economics very poor and we decided to shuffled those two cards back to the deck.

Did we play something wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert AMG
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
considering that you can occupy the card only with a single player token - then it cannot be looped that many times...
however I also dislike this combo... I was discarding this card (tax) just after 2-3 turns and change it with something else.

this game is not super deep and cards are not well balanced. consider this as kind of party game with a small element of optimization. Small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smoox wrote:
We had these two cards in the beginning of the game. If you use CT this turn, and use TC next turn, you can take TWO goods from each other player.
It's kind of breaking the game, if everyone tries to repeat those two steps. If you don't, you are simply rip off by others who did. It made the starting economics very poor and we decided to shuffled those two cards back to the deck.

Did we play something wrong?

No, you're playing correctly. A number of people have complained about this combo already; the advice generally has been that with 4 players, remove the Tax Collector card from the game before setup (it seems to have less of an effect with 2 or 3 players). Or, if you happen to get both these cards in the initial setup, shuffle one or the other (or both) back into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Oliver
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clocktower + Tax Collector combo mentioned here also:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1334315/first-and-second-pla...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chien-Tsun Chen
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies! Harbour feels like a lite version of Le Havre to me (of course there are still lots of difference between them). Moving workers to buildings, gaining goods, buying buildings, converting x goods A to Y goods B, finding unexpected combos, etc. The shipping mechanic is new and interesting. With 36 building cards, I look forward to exploring more strategies in this small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A3n Max
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this weekend and that combo came out. I got to use it once, then the others caught on & made sure that anytime somebody went to the clock tower one of the others went to the tax collector. No issue from then on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Amas73 wrote:
I played this weekend and that combo came out. I got to use it once, then the others caught on & made sure that anytime somebody went to the clock tower one of the others went to the tax collector. No issue from then on.

Exactly. For this combo to really grind things to a halt, everyone has to get on the "train", in the correct order, and never break the pattern. When in reality, even if the train gets started, somebody should realize (for instance) that they should spend their turn buying instead. Once any one player doesn't get onboard EITHER card during their turn in the cycle, the train is easily blockable for the rest of the game (which means it to your benefit to be the pattern-breaker).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree regarding the Tax Collector. We played a game where we thought it was a bit over powered (we're just two games in so far, though).

For most cards the net sum of gaining goods is around 1-2 goods per turn. If you can get 2 goods on most turns you are doing very well. In a 4 player game the Tax collector gives you 3 goods per turn and is one of only a handful of cards that do that - admittedly you don't get to choose which ones you get but that's still really powerful AND as a bonus you get to knock each other player down by one.

I visited the tax office as often as I could and unsurprisingly I won the game.

Has this card been amended at all post production? I guess my instinct would be to make it so that it's a choice; EITHER force each other player to pay one good to the tax collector OR visit the tax collector and collect all of one type of good on the tax collector.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had this situation come up in a game but I think the Tax collector does have some major drawbacks but it's not as straight forward as you make out.

The general payout for a card is 1 to 2 resources and tax collector is probably the only card that gives you 3 resources at the start of the game (with the exception of Abbey). But the choice of your opponents is crucial. With players spamming you a low cost good it takes two turns for you to be full up and receive less than three goods of something. The other thing that happens with tax collector is that there is no net gain of resources in the game so the resources just get moved around which I think could be significant.

A good player could definitely abuse tax collector especially with clocktower where the return is then 2.5 resources, but I think that's just the nature of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.