Subject: Comparing the French and English Sets rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been mostly quiet on this game so far, as I didn't have an English copy to comment on. My copy arrived last week, and I've had a chance to use it, now.

I'd like to emphasize that I got an "off-the-shelf" copy, too - they didn't hand-pick this one for me to make sure I had all my parts or a good printing or anything like that.

Other than the two mis-printed cards (both of which, by the way, look just fine in the pre-print .PDF file I was sent for review prior to printing), my set is just fine.

The rockets and other counters are the same quality as the French ones, as are the character and event cards.

The English main board lies flatter than the French one, and the US board adds the LIS Memorial and a specific slot for the Discovery Cards which was lacking in the French version and gives an edge to the English board, IMHO.

The French launch pad lies flatter than my English one, but that's an issue of use, not of quality.

All of my bits are present and accounted for, and the colors are bright and clear.

The game doesn't use the same box insert as the French set - the French one wouldn't have worked, because it was designed for a round board. To be honest, I'm surprised that they didn't do a slight redesign on the French insert. *shrug* I use Ziploc bags for most of my games, anyhow. I'll try borrow a camera so that I can get some side-by-side photos so that you can see how the French insert compares to the English one.

I should also note - if you've got questions on this game, I can (and will) answer them. The fastest way to get ahold of me is to PM me - but if you post in the rules forum, I'll see it within a day or two. I read all of the Asmodee forums on the 'Geek daily looking for questions that need answers.

I'll also claim responsiblity (and apologize) for any lack of clarity or errors in the English rules - while Mr. Faidutti did an excellent job of going through and picking specific items scattered throughout the rulebook and cards prior to printing, the final English rules were my responsibility.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric,

Thanks for this comparison. I just order the English M:RP today and am really looking forward to playing it. I'm also signed up to demo it at Wintercon on Dec. 9 in the Detroit, Michigan area.

Since I'm the rules reader / games teacher in our group, I'll let you know if something in the rules seems unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bernard
United States
Fairview
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to start a new thread but this seems as good a place as any to put this post.

We played M:RP for the first time last night and had a blast!

I was a little troubled by some of the posts, but the game intrigued me enough to take a chance.

Let me first say that the English rules are one of the clearest I have ever seen in any game. Very concise and easy to learn in just a few minutes. No questions whatsoever; no ambiguities.

I was also concerned about the quality of the components given some of the criticisms, but they are quite acceptable. To put it in perspective, on a scale of 1-10, with Cheapass being a 1 and a Franklin Mint Monopoly being a 10, the component quality is about a 6. Great art work too.

The game is great fun, and was significantly different the 2 games we played. (After the 1st, everyone was ready to do it again, and we will play it again next week.)

There has also been some criticism of the "2-ice" bonus cards not being worth much. Not true; often that can be enough to give a player the boost needed to score the +9 bonus for the most ice.

The game plays so quickly that if you get "screwed" by a Discovery card (that by your own devices you neglected to look at by using your Scientist) it's no big deal; just play again! And therein lies my only criticism of the game - it's too short! You really can't afford to play the Recruiter more than once, so you will play most characters just once in the game. I would like to see someone come up with a variant that would lengthen the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bbernard wrote:
Let me first say that the English rules are one of the clearest I have ever seen in any game. Very concise and easy to learn in just a few minutes. No questions whatsoever; no ambiguities.

Thank you very much! There are a few bits I wince at (the Scoring Token after the 3rd Round thing, for example - I totally overlooked that).

Quote:
There has also been some criticism of the "2-ice" bonus cards not being worth much. Not true; often that can be enough to give a player the boost needed to score the +9 bonus for the most ice.

We found the Ice bonuses almost overwhelming for that very reason.

Quote:
The game plays so quickly that if you get "screwed" by a Discovery card (that by your own devices you neglected to look at by using your Scientist) it's no big deal; just play again! And therein lies my only criticism of the game - it's too short! You really can't afford to play the Recruiter more than once, so you will play most characters just once in the game. I would like to see someone come up with a variant that would lengthen the game.

If you increase the length of the game, you need more astronauts, more scoring tokens, and more rockets. Our group tried doubling the length - 1 scoring token each for the 1st and 2nd scoring phases, 2 scoring tokens for the the 3rd and 4th, and 3 for the 5th and 6th scoring phases.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stanley
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eric

You don't say how your lengthened game worked out. I am very interested in the possibility of a longer game, and what adjustments to the rules might be beneficial - especially in devising a 2 player version.

Please let me know your thoughts on your lengthened game experience.

Thanks

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talitha2 wrote:
Eric

You don't say how your lengthened game worked out. I am very interested in the possibility of a longer game, and what adjustments to the rules might be beneficial - especially in devising a 2 player version.

Please let me know your thoughts on your lengthened game experience.

Thanks

Michael

It was fun. It's been a while, so forgive me if this isn't as detailed as what you're looking for.

The good:
Most characters got used more often.
Discovery cards had less of an impact because nearly everyone had a chance to play Scientists to snoop out the cards that interested them.
Early "screw your neighbor" moves were more recoverable, resulting in a closer match score-wise when all players were of equal skill level.

The bad:
The game seems to drag when it goes on for that long. I mean _really_ drag. It's great at ten turns. Playable at 12. 13+ turns is really too long.
It basically requires two copies of the game in order to have enough astronauts/ships/scoring tokens. Since I have both English and French copies, I have this.
Counting up to see who controls an area can get time-consuming by the 20th turn, especially if it's a hotly-contested area.
The value of the higher-value areas is inflated, turning the game into a battle for the high-end resources. The ice was almost ignored.
Experienced players totally annihilated less experienced or skilled players. This happens in a normal game, but it's magnified when the game runs longer and there are more scoring rounds.

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.