dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
more of my stuff at www.dennisthebadger.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So i'm working on some illustrations for a little card game.
The setting is a campy vintage-sci-fi one with loads of female characters.
I want it to be lighthearted and fun, evoking a little bit of a "Flash Gordon" or "Barbarella" feel.

I'm trying to tap in to some overused sci-fi tropes, like the "green space babe", the "brain in the jar" and that kind of stuff.

Update for the current state of the characters:

Star Girl and Gret Duo (the heroines of our story).

I think of Star Girl (real name Lucy Starrunner)as a cute and quirky young woman. She's got her heart in the right place but she tends to be a bit immature and impulsive. she's not quite found her place in the world and is finding growing up a bit hard.
She used to be mocked as a kid for being a bit of a tom-boy and currently she's overcompensating for it by investing lots of time and energy (but less love than you'd think) in her hair, make-up and outfit.
She was raised by her mom after her father, a famous adventurer and explorer, disappeared when she was still a young child (Her mom was actually the more talented adventurer but ended up quitting her job as a space adventurer to raise her daughter).

Gret Duo is Star Girls best (and incredibly reliable) friend. She's always there to get Star Girl out of trouble, which happens almost on a daily basis. Actually, it usually turns out to be what she spends most of her time on...

Mr. Spaceballs, "Cat Mastermind" is Star Girls not-so-reliable pet cat.
He collects brains in jars, some people believe he performs crazy experiments on them in his spare time (of which he has lots).
He's a cute ball of fluff, but he also likes to see the world burn (you know, just like all cats do).

Nova Wells, original name T'Mny K'Nsnts, is a telepathic space elf and one of Star Girls best friends. They attended school together and she occasionally helped out Star Girl with the odd bit of home work (never using her telepathic abilities during exams, because that would be cheating!)

The hunky "dude in distress/space ranger". In an act of total exploitation/fan-service i'll probably release him in different versions catering to all kind sof tastes... younger/older, blond/darker, more muscular/skinnier.

He should probably have a name like "Richard Comet" (if that wasn't so obviously lame).

He's the trophy guy the writers always find a reason for to take his shirt off. He doesn't get to say much but nobody really cares...

The exotic dancer/gender-shifter/generic green space babe, friends just call her "Babe" or "the Babe".
She used to dance in a bar that burnt down after Star Girl and Gret Duo got in a fight there. Now she's part of Star girl's entourage...

Major Spoilers: In an amazingly climactic/exciting/awesome moment of never before seen dramatic revelation, The Evil Space Queen will reveal to Star Girl (Lucy Starrunner): "No, i am your Father!!!"
Writing stories and characters? ---> looking for fluff for my campy retro-sci-fi game!

and

Just started a thread in the WIP-Design-subforum for general discussion if anybody wants to contribute:

Star Girl and the Evil Space Queen! - Feedback welcome! FREE PnP available!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the Dude in Distress get eaten? Or part of the Emperors New Clothes wardrobe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cloak of Invisibility
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Did the Dude in Distress get eaten? Or part of the Emperors New Clothes wardrobe?

His illustration isn't done yet... and he's left me with a design issue of integrating flavoiur and mechanisms... the card position he is on was supposed to be a "protective" effect, which doesn't really make sense though as the "dude in distress". It feels more like a "bodyguard" effect, though i guess it could be a "dude in distress dodging a bullet" kind of thing... but now i've done an illustration of a tied up guy... so i don't know.. i might have to rethink the concept...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Brother
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
I don't know if I told you this before, but I think that your style is awesome.

dennisthebadger wrote:
They're probably in search of an alien artifact (what could it be?)

Is it the low calorie scimitar of justice? Or MacGuffin's sixth element? Omega 13 and a bit? Really long time jewels? Come on tell us...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Hoye
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I love playing pretty much anything except war games! I'll try 'em all.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I thought it was empty because there's never any dudes in distress
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Evil Brother wrote:
I don't know if I told you this before, but I think that your style is awesome.

dennisthebadger wrote:
They're probably in search of an alien artifact (what could it be?)

Is it the low calorie scimitar of justice? Or MacGuffin's sixth element? Omega 13 and a bit? Really long time jewels? Come on tell us...

Thanks!
I was thinking of perhaps something like the "Crystal of Equality" or the "Wayj-Gap Equalizer" but perhaps that's not subtle enough...

edit: i wonder what it would look like? really obscure and alien?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iheartmuseums wrote:
Haha, I thought it was empty because there's never any dudes in distress

That could actually work really well, not a bad idea!

No, i just wasn't sure how to illustrate him... how do people like their "dude in distress"?

Does he need a shirt? Would the Evil Space Queen allow him to keep a shirt?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, I don't get it.

This is supposed to be the opposite of "standard" role models, so the girls rescue the boys here?

But then again the girls all have the typical stereotypes like wasp waists and next to no clothes and the dude is all muscles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
Tis the season of BGG.CON
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a "NOT so E-val Villian" Or "Helpful Antagonist" would be fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just "got" Gret Duo. Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the evil alien could be called Mansplainatron? It tries to weaken the lady heroes by talking down to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of the "dude in distress". Basically a role reversal of the traditional fairy tale.

When I first saw the cards, I was thinking it would have a similar theme to Charlie's Angels. Not sure anything about the rules of the game, but those were my initial thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
Hm, I don't get it.

This is supposed to be the opposite of "standard" role models, so the girls rescue the boys here?

But then again the girls all have the typical stereotypes like wasp waists and next to no clothes and the dude is all muscles.

I never said it was supposed to be "the opposite". I'm trying tp play with clichées, exploit them, make fun of them, embrace them, reverse them. It's a mixed approach with mixed results and i'm sure it's not for everyone.

Btw: the female (not necessarily born in a female body, i'll leave it open to your imagination) characters don't actually all have wasp like waists... and i don't see anything wrong with a bit of muscle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

1 Family Meeple wrote:
I think a "NOT so E-val Villian" Or "Helpful Antagonist" would be fun.

the closest thing to that right now would probably be the Mastermind... somehow in my mind i think of him/her as being a bit fickle and possible playing off the different sides against each other... you know, just being a cat...

CallieMo wrote:
Maybe the evil alien could be called Mansplainatron? It tries to weaken the lady heroes by talking down to them.

Mansplainator or Mansplainatron? Maybe add a "3000" to that? awesome... i'll see if i can fit one in...

Also might add a "bodyguard" type character.. perhaps a "white knight"? arrghhhhh!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, don't have the brain power to think of back stories right now, but I do kind of want to be the rogue for Halloween.

Good luck, and if I think of something I'll post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
current state of the cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe "elf" rather than "elve"?

Sorry I don't have anything story-wise!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
refugeesfromreality wrote:

Ah, yes, apparently "elve" isn't even a thing...
I was thinking of giving her a terrible name, but maybe that is pushing it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
refugeesfromreality wrote:

Ah, yes, apparently "elve" isn't even a thing...
I was thinking of giving her a terrible name, but maybe that is pushing it...

Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Novawells
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dennisthebadger wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
Hm, I don't get it.

I never said it was supposed to be "the opposite". I'm trying tp play with clichées, exploit them, make fun of them, embrace them, reverse them. It's a mixed approach with mixed results and i'm sure it's not for everyone.

Btw: the female (not necessarily born in a female body, i'll leave it open to your imagination) characters don't actually all have wasp like waists... and i don't see anything wrong with a bit of muscle...

I see. I just thought there was something deeper behind it and some specific reason why you posted this in the Women and Gaming forum.

And I guess we have to differ on the definition of wasp waist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexendoktor wrote:
dennisthebadger wrote:
Hexendoktor wrote:
Hm, I don't get it.

I see. I just thought there was something deeper behind it and some specific reason why you posted this in the Women and Gaming forum.

And I guess we have to differ on the definition of wasp waist.

I posted it here because there tends to be quite a creative crowd here who sometimes enjoy showing off their writing skills (but they don't necessarily visit the design forum much).
How much "depth" were you expecting? Sorry i migth have disappointed you...
You can't make everybody happy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dennis bennett
Germany
back in Frankfurt!
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
How about Novawells

I wish i knew what you're talking about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.