Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

DC Comics Dice Masters: Justice League» Forums » General

Subject: I don't get Vixen Common and Vixen Rare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Excited to see spoilers over at TheReservePool.com. But the Vixen cards really confused me.

The the common Vixen is a 4 mask character with no text ability.

The rare Vixen is a 3 mask character with a text ability (You may spend [MASK] to prevent all damage to Vixen from one source.)

Why is the common Vixen with no buffs or benefits more expensive than the rare Vixen with a benefit?

I could see them making the cost the same, like they did with Ice-Man. But making it cost one more really makes no sense to me. Anyone have an idea why they've priced the cards this way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That does seems in-congruent. Perhaps it has to do with the Collectibility model, "yes you have one, but you could get a better one."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means that it's going to launch you into something great.
badge
This. This is what I am. This is who I am. Come hell or high water. If I deny it, I deny everything I've ever done... Everything I've ever fought for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's for rainbow drafts? There have to be vanilla commons to fill the gaps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Green
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trmptdrummer wrote:
Maybe it's for rainbow drafts? There have to be vanilla commons to fill the gaps.
The question isn't why does it exist, it's why is it more expensive? It's a pretty lame development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a starter card, right? Cuz that was the reasoning behind Iceman's similar shenanigan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Its not. The card number is in the 70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
kmancheese wrote:
trmptdrummer wrote:
The question isn't why does it exist, it's why is it more expensive? It's a pretty lame development.

It still could have been done for rainbow drafts - a 3 cost mask character being readily available might have proven to be too good in the format.

Vixen also might have had an ability that ended up having to be removed for one reason another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Moore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pocolius wrote:
It still could have been done for rainbow drafts - a 3 cost mask character being readily available might have proven to be too good in the format.

You're giving Wizkids too much credit here (by claiming that they thoroughly tested the rainbow draft format).

I'm still not buying the draft balance argument. There are plenty of great commons that are available in a draft. PXG is available in a common, and that card makes a huge difference in draft games. In fact, Professor X's uncommon doesn't even have the global. How is that draft balance?

I'm certain that the 4-cost must have had an ability that was removed, and nobody thought to adjust the purchase cost. Same with Iceman, and same with Gelatinous Cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wood
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
lwdgames wrote:
Pocolius wrote:

You're giving Wizkids too much credit here (by claiming that they thoroughly tested the rainbow draft format).

I'm still not buying the draft balance argument. There are plenty of great commons that are available in a draft. PXG is available in a common, and that card makes a huge difference in draft games. In fact, Professor X's uncommon doesn't even have the global. How is that draft balance?

I'm certain that the 4-cost must have had an ability that was removed, and nobody thought to adjust the purchase cost. Same with Iceman, and same with Gelatinous Cube.

OP didn't understand why there was a difference and I was suggesting hypotheticals about why it happened. I'm not WizKids and I don't know what their development cycle is like. I would hope they would balance cards for rainbow drafting, but considering the format wasn't even announced until further after the release of AVX, I feel like it was a later suggestion. From some various hinting of the designers, it feels like even D&D and DC were finished before the idea of Rainbow Drafting was suggested. Who knows though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.