Subject: Unit Trays... please help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed the KOW 2nd edition and I am trying to order trays but they come in so many different sizes.. I bought a dwarf mega army... any suggestions...

Thakns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint about Kings of War is the byzantine basing system. There are more than 20 different base sizes. I don't get the impression that people follow them all that closely, and looking at the drawings of movement trays, I'm guessing they won't follow the rules as written either.

Anyway, I think that the picture of the Dwarf mega army in the pledge manager depicts this:

2 Hordes: both 200mmx80mm
3 Regiments: two 100mmx80mm, one 125mmx100mm

There are plenty of other ways you could set up the army by splitting the hordes into regiments, or the regiments into troops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJOR THANKS! for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mbmb
Pro tip: games workshop is giving a major overhaul to their war hammer fantasy battle. One big change appears to be their dropping the movement trays and replacing square bases with round.

Keep your eyes open for steep discounts on one of GW's last reasonably prices items, their WFB movement trays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wygant
United States
Coraopolis
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Base width is the most important thing in Kings of War!! Number of figures can vary based on how you arrange them and what scenic elements you want to put on the base. Mantic does suggest 2/3 of what is stated model count as a suggestion.

Base size dictates frontage, which dictates how many units can engage you at once and fire arcs for missiles and War machines.

There are only 4 unit widths
100mm (5x20mm)
125mm (5x25mm)
120mm (3x40mm) Large Infantry
150mm (3x50mm) Large Cav

The free rules are here:

http://www.manticgames.com/free-rules.html?Action=Cookie

On the 3rd or 4th page there is a base size chart for you.

In 2nd edition there are 4 Unit sizes (Troops, Regiments, Hordes, Legions

All Dwarven infantry are on 20mm x 20mm bases.

Troops will be on 100mm x 40mm bases (5 across x 2 deep)
Regiments are on 100mm x 80mm (2 troops -5 Across x 4 deep)
Hordes are 2 Regiments side by side 200mm x 80mm (10 across x 4 deep)

Most players base their units on the smallest unit they are likely to field (Troops) then combine them back to back to form a Regiment when needed, and 2 Regiments side by side to make a Horde.

Cavalry will be on 25mm bases but the same logic applies. Cav Troops are based on 125mm x 50mm Deeps(5 models across x 1 deep), Regiments 125mm x 100mm deep (5x4), and Hordes 250mm x 100mm.

There are many manufacturers out there offering Kings of War basesin laser cut mdf/basswood and some doing steel trays so you can stick them down to drawers lined with magnet sheet (easy transport)

Respectfully,
That Lee Guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.