Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kick back at the clubhouse. This thread is for general chatter about the GFL's first season. For more info about the GFL, see http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/131371.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an idea: What about including our team abbreviation next to our name in our BGG profile?

If you'd like to do this, visit this page: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/profile.php?action=editcontact

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should make a clar list of who is already registered at the www.warfareproject.com in order to allow all teams to begin playing.

Of course, I'm already registered. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And the league's first game is underway!

SAD @ RBG: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1156979

Remember, home team always gets first possession, home team sets up the thread and notifies the visitor.

Also, keep in mind that some of our participants are away for the weekend, so things will take a few days to get rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More three games have started!

GFL Game 110 -- KCC @ SAD - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1157101
GFL Game 113 -- OMB @ SAD - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1157108
GFL Game 124 -- DEN @ SAD - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1157114

Warning: Please check the game 103... There's a NYG listed but no info regarding this team was provided so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fermmoylle wrote:
Warning: Please check the game 103... There's a NYG listed but no info regarding this team was provided so far.

Fixed. NYG is now GEG, the Gotham Elite Giants, coached by richtoosoon.

Oh, and when you're creating threads for games, please put them in the PBEM forum, as fermmoylle did. (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewforum...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Registered at WP so far:

rootbeer
fermmoylle
nnf1
gteemer
checkallday
windopaene

Games between these users can begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my final home game has started!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/133697

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
The only thing I see wrong with the approach you have chosen, is that there is no ability to scout the opposition. Were the games sequential, we would be able to examine the "films" and see gameplay trends. But nothing will help you all defeat the juggernaut that is my Kansas City chiefs, so it won't matter much anyway...

Initially, no, you can't scout. But once we're a while into the season, you can check out other games in progress to try to figure out that guy's tendencies. If this continues into further seasons, there'll be an ever-growing record of each participant's play-calling.

So the scouting is weak now, but that would be the case with any newly-created league -- PBEM, face-to-face, or real-life sports-based. Eventually I think the ability to scout in the GFL will be much greater than it would in a face-to-face league, since you can check out every game, and you have a record of every play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omaha Bombers here! I am now engaged in three of my six games. I will start my last home game versus RBG (GFL 112) tomorrow. I await the start of two away games, at KCC (GFL 108) and at GEG (GFL 127). Once KCC and GEG kick-off, I will be in all six of my games. I set up individual email file folders for each of my six games in the hopes of keeping them all straight.

One thought - the home team receives first, but also starts the game thread with the kickoff die roll. What if the away team wants to start the game with an on-side kick? Unlikely, to be sure, but shouldn't the away team select their kickoff style and do the initial kick-off die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intersting point I hadn't considered!

I'm assuming you are registered now?

Also, I'm on a plane again on Tuesday, at a customer site on Wed and Thursday, and flying late Thursday night. So if I get behind a bit, this is why. Also, in general, if you haven't heard from me and are waiting on me to do something, like start a new secret keeper or post in the thread, you might want to send a GeekMail, as I'm probably waiting on you as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
One thought - the home team receives first, but also starts the game thread with the kickoff die roll. What if the away team wants to start the game with an on-side kick? Unlikely, to be sure, but shouldn't the away team select their kickoff style and do the initial kick-off die roll?

You're right. That rule should be changed in the future.

Even without the possibility of an onside kick, it did seem weird to be rolling for the other team, kicking to yourself.

---

I started out with separate email folders for each game, but I'm playing from work and at home, so that didn't work. I have each of my games on BGG's QuickBar, and I check 'em from there. Any thread where my post isn't the latest needs action. Worked well yesterday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I don't know if I'd want more than 7 teams in this league - running 6 games at once ain't easy! I actually started an MS Excel spreadsheet I'm calling my "Game Tracker" to keep up with each of my six games! I think I'm caught up!

Also, sorry for the confusion regarding the secret keeper for the start of several of my games, and for the punting rule. I've posted the official rule for punts in the "Help" thread, so I hope that's that!

BTW - this ROCKS!

Regards,
Coach Zappa, Omaha Bombers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you're enjoying this Leo. I'm having fun too (though I was a little overwhelmed at first).

I use BGG's Quickbar to keep organized: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/quickbar.php?action=edit I put a link to each game that I'm playing in there. In another tab, I have links to the other GFL threads.

---

I think 6 games is about the reasonable max, too. If we were to ever expand, we'd break the season up into segments of 6 or less games.

Oh, and don't work so hard to keep up that it isn't fun. I just check my games once a day, at lunch. (I probably won't be playing any turns during the weekend.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick note here: It's a long weekend in Canada, and I probably won't be playing any turns today. I'll be back in action tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very busy day at work today, so I probably won't be taking my GFL turns. I'll be back tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking a short break myself. Work and holiday preparations and such. I may get some plays in tonight, but certainly should have all plays in by end of tomorrow. Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone, everywhere, including Australia!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd forgotten how insanely busy the last month before Christmas is at work! (I'm in chocolate distribution.) I might be a bit irregular for the next bit, but I'll try to turn in as many plays as I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for my recent lack of activity!

This has been a bad week for me, one which included the death of a family friend, a trip to the hospital emergency room for my daughter (she's fine now), a case of the flu for me, and loss of internet service to my neighborhood due to storms (I'm sending this from my office). I hope to respond to all games as soon as my internet service is back (supposed to be tomorrow at the latest). Again, sorry for the delays!!!

Regards,
Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Leo-sorry to hear about your crap week, hope it all comes good soon. Take it easy. Anyone serving beer at this clubhouse?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just spoke with Greg Teemer (JHK). He hasn't left us, he's just having a busy month too.

I think we should just expect things to be a little irregular for the next little while, as it's a busy time for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm back! My computer woes appear to be solved (for the most part). After a week that included three visits from my ISP, a complete wash of my hard drive followed by reloading my operating system and all software, and performing numerous diagnostics, my internet service appears to be working most of the time now. I have a FTF gaming session today, but this evening, I will return all open plays to the league and that should catch me up. Thanks for your patience!!!

Regards,
Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I'm back! My computer woes appear to be solved (for the most part). After a week that included three visits from my ISP, a complete wash of my hard drive followed by reloading my operating system and all software, and performing numerous diagnostics, my internet service appears to be working most of the time now. I have a FTF gaming session today, but this evening, I will return all open plays to the league and that should catch me up. Thanks for your patience!!!

Regards,
Leo

Well, the computer problems are back. Comcast is bring out trucks to find the problem! I'm typing quick, before I get knocked off again. I will respond to outstanding plays ASAP. Sorry again for this maddening situation!

Leo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just sent in another batch of plays, and I think that'll be my last until after my vacation. I'm away until the last week of January now.

Leo will be filling in as the League Commissioner while I'm away.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Paschoalin
Brazil
Santo André
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to know if there's any problem with the team JHK. I know RBG will be out until the last week of January, but JHK didn't send any message after my last post on the gaming thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.