Subject: Serious victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Peter

Worcester
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
I just completed a Deep Raid against a Convoy. I finished on Turn 10 of a 19-turn mission, and only one enemy ever got a single shot on my team (with a Suppress result).

My magic bullet (so to speak)? I had 2 Soldiers, 1 NPS, and 3 Squaddies, and on the 1st or 2nd turn, I got Squad Fire out. Even having to pay the 5 XP per turn cost, we were killing so fast with 4 free attacks per turn that it was no problem at all. The Hostiles at the Objective (including Elite Guards) strangely do not Screen the cars, so I just shot them up and won the day.

Good fun.

(And yes, for the record, I have also fought the much harder Middle East Insurgents...but I have yet to try to fight the Military!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the tactics I've had success with (when the points allow) is to do what you did (2 player soldiers and then a combination of NPS/Squaddies) but pay for the Skill cards that add one free attack and one free move per turn for NPS/Squaddies. Those cards are force multipliers that increase in value as you add more NPS/Squaddies. Sometimes cheaper is better. Weaker troops are way more effective when they can get two free actions a turn.

I used this tactic against a Middle East mission and walked through the insurgents without much challenge. I think I only suffered a few attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a similar easy romp in an Escape Mission against the Middle East Insurgents. I took 1 Player Soldier, 2 NPS, and 1 Squaddie. Apart from some worries when placing the first card and having 6 baddies and the No Explosives/Auto fire event come out, things went smoothly.

With this setup, my player soldier was mostly drawing and discarding as we blew through other cards. I pictured him as the leader directing the other 3 and only occasionally having to fire his rifle or toss a grenade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Granger44 wrote:
With this setup, my player soldier was mostly drawing and discarding as we blew through other cards. I pictured him as the leader directing the other 3 and only occasionally having to fire his rifle or toss a grenade.

Exactly what I think. So far I prefer to have Leaders versus Rambo super soldiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that approach is also more realistic, respecting what the 3 types of soldiers are meant to represent. More soldiers will usually win out over fewer soldiers with awesome quantities of equipment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.