Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would you buy a hard to find, out of print game with no box at all (or any game, even if it's still in print)? The game pieces and instructions are there, but the original box is gone.

For the game collectors, has the game completely lost it's value? It's still playable.

Curious what others think about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kim
United States
Mukilteo
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a hard to find, out of print game, yes. For anything in print, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly how I got my copy of Warhammer Quest.

Pete (thinks that answers the question)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Kwill2 wrote:
Would you buy a hard to find, out of print game with no box at all (or any game, even if it's still in print)? The game pieces and instructions are there, but the original box is gone.

For the game collectors, has the game completely lost it's value? It's still playable.

If it was wargame, and complete, absolutely. Even in print if the price is right.

You can't play the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm a collector I think the box would be important. If it was just a game I wanted to play then the box wouldn't bother me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtngrown wrote:
Kwill2 wrote:

If it was wargame, and complete, absolutely. Even in print if the price is right.

You can't play the box.
Unless the game is Niagara or a handful of others Where the box is necessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a base game, I would expect a significant reduction on the price. If it was an expansion, I would not care at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm half way down the road of tossing all my game boxes as I rebox them into plastic sealing tubs of uniform size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For collectors, the value will be significantly reduced by not having the box. Of course, punching the bits and even opening the shrink wrap will reduce the value to a collector, as will any spine damage on rules manuals or any damage to the board from opening and closing it.

Would I buy a game without a box? Sure - if someone has Origins: How We Became Human for $50 but no box (all in zip lock bags) I'd jump at that chance. However, this game usually sells $150 to $250 with box, so $50 would be a steal. As a collector, the lack of a box would reduce the value - but I just want to own and play that game someday.

Then again, some games are so rare and valuable that parts sell for significant amounts (examples: Fireball Island and Dark Tower).

For in print games, the same rules apply - first, it would have to be at a discount to justify not buying it from my good FLGS. Without a box, there should be even a bit more of a price reduction. I even want the expansion boxes when I buy used, but I did buy Runewars and its expansion all in the base box only. A slight disappointment, but the price was right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
OOP games, of course I'd buy without a box.

Something in print? If it was priced REALLY cheap, yes. Otherwise probably not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Multi-Man Publishing have occasionally uncovered parts in their warehouse to put together complete games without the box. And I have one zip-locked Advanced Squad Leader module with a few reference sheets they copied in color on standard paper. I will likely set a low starting bid that would be the same with a box. I'll describe the condition and authenticity and let the market (eBay) decide how much they're worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Snider
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a chance you could later find the box here from someone with an incomplete game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably buy a new game out of the box before an OOP game.

Usually, because the OOP games I look for are for collecting reasons, as a forever game. I like them as complete as possible.

New games, I just want to play, and most new games have a short shelf life anyway, so a box isn't as important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

Usually, because the OOP games I look for are for collecting reasons, as a forever game. I like them as complete as possible.

New games, I just want to play, and most new games have a short shelf life anyway, so a box isn't as important.

That's an interesting perspective! They cut out the lid of the box and taped it to the Plano box ... I think the sleeve everything/pristine boxes crowd would have to turn away about now.

Thanks all for the comments, I enjoyed reading them.

I did purchase the game (for a very reduced price), it's Homesteaders 2nd edition, so if anyone has a box, let me know. =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

If there is an OOP game I'm interested in, it's because I'd like to be able to play it again.

I don't look at buying things (anything) on what it's 'resale' value is. If it was for a 'collection' type thing, then yes I would agree with Mike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.