Adam Mitchell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with both sets combined, should I remove half the mine passages as some have suggested? Or is it better to leave them all in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you remove half the passages, they will become too rare and the difficulty of the game will go down (which is not to be desired).

If you leave them all in, you will lose some games unjustly due to darkness advance. This is because while the probability of drawing a passage remains the same, the variance is higher, making outlier outcomes more common.

It has been suggested that one can take half the passages and half the rooms and mix them into a half deck, then make a second half deck with the rest, then place one one top of the other. This is effective, but annoying and time consuming.

Currently, we're going with number two, all in. We know and accept the risk of long, long corridors coming up, but so far, we've only had one rrrreally bad string of draws, and we still squeaked out a win that game. The tension was actually fairly welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take them the hell out!
You don't want to draw 3 or 4 corridors in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlord Tamburlaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last game we played was just as many corridors, and that was with a single game.

Take them out or watch that darkness just waltz on out of the mines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I leave them in. I don't think I'd take out one full set, but I might take out half a set if someone insisted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lobato
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I left all them. If I drew a 3rd passage in a row I just discard and draw again until I get a room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would leave them in for keeping the probalities (otherwise the game would get easier).

Currently we handle it this way: When we draw the second copy of a corridor we redraw it if we already had a rather high percentage of corridors up until that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan Gray
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Basically I use only one set of passages, but use only a random half of the mine rooms (so same number as one core set) in any adventure, this way you get the variety but the same probability of getting rooms vs passages
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John VanDenBerg
United States
Farmington
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tricolor wrote:
I left all them. If I drew a 3rd passage in a row I just discard and draw again until I get a room.

We leave them all in, but draw again if we get a 2nd no exploration token tile in a row. Works for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing with them all in, but after a few games where we get four corridors in a row, we are all in agreement to try with half removed.

Drawing four then two corridors etc can ruin the pacing of some of the missions, making it too easy for the darkness to escape. I'm of the impression that the initial balance of missions was designed around the limited number of corridors contained within only one set.

I agree the odds of getting a corridor are the same, but the amount you can draw before finding the mission objective room technically doubles. That's the issue, taking too long to complete a mission because of excess corridors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
I would leave them in for keeping the probalities (otherwise the game would get easier).

Currently we handle it this way: When we draw the second copy of a corridor we redraw it if we already had a rather high percentage of corridors up until that point.

Seconded. This removes the need to fiddle around with storing the extra cards somewhere separate. Re-drawing feels simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Parker
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tricolor wrote:

This is exactly how I've been playing it and has seemed to work out very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rowangray wrote:
Basically I use only one set of passages, but use only a random half of the mine rooms (so same number as one core set) in any adventure, this way you get the variety but the same probability of getting rooms vs passages

This seems to be the best (and only) way to use both sets without changing the ratio of rooms to corridors or the standard deviation of difficulties.

Half corridors + all rooms makes the game easier overall, by halving the odds of getting those corridors. And I hate making co-ops easier. I think I go with "all the cards" because I'm lazy, and don't mind dealing with a higher standard deviation on the corridor draws; just forces us to spend some grit moving faster!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We leave everything in but if we're tired of corridors, we redraw. So sometimes we'll allow bunches of corridors in a row, but most of the time we'll redraw if a third one comes up. It's no fun/anticlimactic to lose because the darkness escapes due to lack of explore tokens. I'd rather lose because we got trashed by mobs or because we legitimately failed the darkness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Llewellyn
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this all going to change when Caverns of Cynder comes - is this issue only going to get worse with the more other worlds you add ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played yet but I'm going to keep the two tile sets separate.

This way, if we play the ancients mine, the otherworld will be jarongo as all of the tile will be available. If we play the swamps mine, the otherworld will be targa.

I figure hunting around for tiles will be hard enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.