Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Carey
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An old friend and I just bought a few copies of this game for pbm or pbem. We trust each other so honor systems should be fine. We will probably start with 2nd edition. My concern is how to do the multiple phases and turns of combat quickly by mail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that the best way to play remotely is to use the VASSAL or Cyberboard engines for PBeM. They render the board and units on a computer screen, which saves having to address all the coordinates for each unit moving.

Card play and die rolling can be done using ACTS (which is a bit tricky to set up if you have never used it before). It does take a while to resolve each combat, since each player can only play a card for one battle round at a time.

The play of seasonal phases also takes a while to work through, since each player has a specific sequence to follow. Sometimes if the sequence doesn't matter, one player can set up his new supply units at the same time he is adjusting his forces in each area.

While this is an old game, it really does play a bit like chess for me, since you need to always think ahead as to how your forces will be deployed at the end of the season for optimal BR/CA and TM/RM placement.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always used Cyberboard in combination with ACTS and either exchanged move files or just tracked the game in a scenario file and described each move in the ACTS journal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.