Formula D» Forums » General

Subject: 2 Cars per Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Cox
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi,

Few of us want to do a bit of a championship with the tracks. Has anyone played where you get 2 cars per player (similar colours) to make a team. Does it work well playing two cars at once?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the only way we play now.

The more cars the more interesting the game is IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep works very well. As well as boosting the field, it also gives players more involvement as they are more likely to have at least one of their cars in the running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SmattC wrote:
Hi,

Few of us want to do a bit of a championship with the tracks. Has anyone played where you get 2 cars per player (similar colours) to make a team. Does it work well playing two cars at once?

If you have 4 or fewer players, maybe 5, I'd go with two each. But more than that and the races will seriously drag on, at least if you do multiple laps (which you definitely should).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jupklass Jupklass2
Spain
Pamplona
Navarra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. We play like that
We made this file for that pourpose
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/101154/2014-season-car...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty much how we play it all the time, unless we have a large crowd.

~Will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

Pretty much how we play it all the time, unless we have a large crowd.

Yep, same here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we played that way with a 5 player season. To help get a player in both halves of the field we rolled for pole through 5th position, and then lined up 6th through 10th in reverse order. So if you got pole you got 10th position as well. We had each player randomize the driver that they were rolling for in the top half.

Our 2012/13 season is posted here. https://sites.google.com/site/formuladegainesvillefl/2012-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Yes, we played that way with a 5 player season. To help get a player in both halves of the field we rolled for pole through 5th position, and then lined up 6th through 10th in reverse order. So if you got pole you got 10th position as well. We had each player randomize the driver that they were rolling for in the top half.

Our 2012/13 season is posted here. https://sites.google.com/site/formuladegainesvillefl/2012-se...

That's not a bad idea at all.
We always randomized it all, but this seems far more fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropya wrote:
ryan3740 wrote:

Even better is just start in reverse order of current tournament standing. (at least I think so)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gawain wrote:
ropya wrote:
ryan3740 wrote:

Even better is just start in reverse order of current tournament standing. (at least I think so)

That we do when we do tourneys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Spas
United States
Rescue
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally, we will do this, but routinely, we play with one car apiece, no matter how many players we have.

While the above commentators are correct, the more cars = more fun, we have found that if you are running more than one car, the 'stakes' are not as high. We found that if you win with your first car, you can get lackadaisical with the other car.

When you have two cars on the track, the feeling of 'importance' of your cars diminish. The 'stress' of trying to win goes down.

At least that is what we have notice in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that the 'importance' of your cars diminish as well. It also takes our group longer to play with multiple cars because of more distractions. You can be thinking about your strategy for your top car and then someone has to remind you that it is your turn again for your secondary car you forget. Now you have to remember what that strategy was.

However, it does have added bonuses. First, you can try different car setups and pit strategies. One player always used his pit points to add more tires to his car so he could race both laps without pitting. Second, you have less of a chance to get knocked out of the race early. If one car crashes, then you still are playing. Only in two races have I seen both teammates eliminated. In one case the teammates collided and resulted in both getting eliminated. Third, you have extra cars in case someone joins your group mid season. We added a few players during our season. Sometimes people would bring a friend to a race and give them the second car so they can try out the game.

One more house rule we added was to allow pit points be used by teammates. So if each car held one pit point then the team would have 2 repair points to use during the race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Ry
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dvader2981 wrote:
Occasionally, we will do this, but routinely, we play with one car apiece, no matter how many players we have.

While the above commentators are correct, the more cars = more fun, we have found that if you are running more than one car, the 'stakes' are not as high. We found that if you win with your first car, you can get lackadaisical with the other car.

When you have two cars on the track, the feeling of 'importance' of your cars diminish. The 'stress' of trying to win goes down.

At least that is what we have notice in our group.

It depends if you are doing a tourney or not.

We've found final placement important still.
If you're first and fourth, and an opponent places second and third, I'm pretty sure he'll be tied or ahead of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerrin 2
United States
Canandaigua
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Only in two races have I seen both teammates eliminated. In one case the teammates collided and resulted in both getting eliminated.

Heh. Yeah, I managed to take out both of my cars in the same race at the same time.

A third of the way through the last lap I had a chance to catch the leader later that lap if I pushed my luck, so I did.

Due to other cars on the track and my rolls I had to land my cars in positions where they each had to roll for collision against each other. Both failed and both lost their last body point. CRASH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.