Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: multiple-intelligences [+] [View All]
Less snark is my goal.
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cover Up is a connection game where players attempt to connect 4 disks in any direction. The game actually combines connection and memory mechanics in a way that is reminiscent of Gobblet. Cover Up is superior because it has a different mix of pieces and the larger board makes for much more varied strategy than either Gobblet or Connect 4.

Components
5 small, 4 medium and 3 large discs in each of two colors, 5x5 board with storage for the chips.
The pieces are top notch with an excellent feel. The board is not quite as good as the discs, but is still very nice. The piece quality of the disks is comparable to that of the GIPF series. The lid for storing the pieces in the game board is a little looser than I’d like and the pieces tend to fall out.

Game Play
The game is fairly straightforward. The board is a 5 x 5 pattern of holes; each hole has three “levels” which are designed to hold the chips. The lowest level will hold only the smallest chip, while the middle level holds the middle chip and the top level holds the largest chips. The object of the game is to get 4 of your pieces in a row, either orthogonally or diagonally.
On a turn, a player may either play a piece or move one of their larger disks which is already in play. Moving the disks is risky if you don’t remember what lies beneath them. Play alternates until someone gets four in a row.

Intelligences
This review is part of a series of reviews I’m doing as I evaluate games my wife may use in her classroom or that I’m using with my Boy Scouts. Apart from the normal review, I try to identify the kinds of intelligence that the game will use. For an explanation of multiple intelligences, see: my blog post at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/786097

Logical-Mathematical
The game is about connecting 4 in a row and logical thinkers may have an edge in developing the kinds of traps and forks which allow a player to develop two paths to victory which can’t both be blocked.

Spatial
Being able to visualize the future state of the board is a key skill and spatial thinkers may find this game easier than even standard tic-tac-toe compared to their peers.

Naturalist
Any game involving the creation of sets is likely to appel to a naturalist thinker.

Age Appropriateness
There is nothing inappropriate in the game. It can easily be handicapped for players of different ages/skills in a number of different ways. The more experience player could play with fewer pieces or be required to score 5 in a row to win. Alternately, the less skilled player could be left with three in a row to win, but that version is too easy and provides little competition.

Overall
This is a very good and engaging connection game. It is easy to explain and plays quickly with very few rules questions. Most players I’ve shown it to immediately want to play again, which is always a good sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.