GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Coup» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of basic rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hello good geekers,

I've played a PnP version of Coup recently, and have come up with several rules questions. I'm sure they are all answered by the rulebook, but I haven't found the original English rules online, so I rely on the second best source - which is you. (Who am I kidding, you're the first best (: .) I'm probably using the incorrect English names for roles, but hope you get the idea.

Here goes:
1) When you use the Assassin, do you choose the killed card, or does the victim player choose?

2) When you reveal your role after somebody wrongly doubts your claim, do you get the new role randomly, or do you choose? (We've played that you choose, and it led to bad moments where with 2 players remaining, you deduce what cards he has.)

3) Can you block the steal or kill attempts against other players? I.e., John tries to steal from Kate claiming a Policeman, and I (not being Kate) block his attempt, claiming a Policeman too. [edit: it's Captain]

4) How does Investigator work (the alternate role which has "look/force to replace" reminder)? Do you have a choice to either look at one card or force to replace it? Or do you do first look, then have a choice to force to replace or not? Or do you look and force to replace, no choice?

(Edit: Found the answer right on the game's page. It's the middle: look, choose to replace or not. And the correct name is Ambassador.)

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) The victim.

2) You shuffle the role you revealed into the deck of remaining cards. Then you get the first one of the shuffled deck.

3) I do not know the Policeman action (different version of Coup I guess), but in general you cannot block actions targeted against another player. You can, however, doubt their claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arry -
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Thank you for the prompt response! The Policeman is Captain. In the Russian version the roles are renamed (and restyled to another context).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can not use captain (or police man ) to protect someone else.

Man, this game has so many versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
arry1 wrote:
(Edit: Found the answer right on the game's page. It's the middle: look, choose to replace or not. And the correct name is Ambassador.)

You may still be mixing up Ambassador and Inquisitor. Ambassador draws 2 cards, returns 2. Inquisitor either draws a card and returns one, or asks to see someone's card, and can then force them to exchange it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Leite
Brazil
Campinas / Atibaia
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, i would love to have the russian edition! laugh

Awesome artwork!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.