Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had some trouble finding the right games for our group of five gamers. Some of the Queen games I recently purchased only allow 4 players, even if I can see them working with 5: Fresco, Tortuga and now Parfum.

We have had the same issue with many other games as well, and I guess the limitation to four players has its reasons, due to game design, play time and flow.

So for Parfum, now that you have read the rules, do you think it would work for 5 players as well? If not, what would it need, more dice, more ingredients, more customers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Sometimes life is scary and dark. That is why we must find the light. -BMO
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea, but with all due respect, I always wonder why people try to change the player count of games.

There are literally hundreds of excellent games that support 5 players. Why not investigate them? Sure, they aren't Parfum, but you're statistically certain that you'll find other games that are better for your group than Parfum anyway. So many games!

I know this wasn't any help in answering your question, but I hope this bit of advice is useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't plan to modify the games, I was just curious if it is hypothetically possible to play Parfum with five players. And what it's would need to work. I have tons of games for 5 players. The only problem is that I almost never get to play any of my 4P games due to the fact, that our gaming group has five people in t.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
I don't plan to modify the games, I was just curious if it is hypothetically possible to play Parfum with five players. And what it's would need to work. I have tons of games for 5 players. The only problem is that I almost never get to play any of my 4P games due to the fact, that our gaming group has five people in t.

Yeah, that can be a tough situation. Are your friends open to splitting into 2 games with 2, and 3 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
snake2shake wrote:

Yeah, that can be a tough situation. Are your friends open to splitting into 2 games with 2, and 3 players?

We have done this before, when we were an open group of up to 12 people. But with just 5 friends spending the evening together, we want to play the same game, alltogether. These evenings are 70% gaming, 20% additional social interaction, 10% food & drinks ;-) If we were focused hardcore gamers, the non-gaming related 30% probably wouldn't count as much as they do in our constellation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
snake2shake wrote:

We have done this before, when we were an open group of up to 12 people. But with just 5 friends spending the evening together, we want to play the same game, alltogether. These evenings are 70% gaming, 20% additional social interaction, 10% food & drinks ;-) If we were focused hardcore gamers, the non-gaming related 30% probably wouldn't count as much as they do in our constellation.

Definitely a tough situation if there's a 4-player game you're dying to try. I very much understand the predicament. I game primarily with "non-gamers" or people who will play games but aren't heavily into them. When I gather to game, it's also largely about the socialization, so it's very different than going to a dedicated "gaming group".

I suppose my initial advice stands... try to find those 5 player games that are awesome!

Hopefully, once the game is available, someone will be able to suggest a 5-player variant for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterboy wrote:
snake2shake wrote:
Misterboy wrote:
snake2shake wrote:

Definitely a tough situation if there's a 4-player game you're dying to try. I very much understand the predicament. I game primarily with "non-gamers" or people who will play games but aren't heavily into them. When I gather to game, it's also largely about the socialization, so it's very different than going to a dedicated "gaming group".

I suppose my initial advice stands... try to find those 5 player games that are awesome!

Hopefully, once the game is available, someone will be able to suggest a 5-player variant for you!

On a side note it is not only hard to get a 4p game on the table. Even playing my favorite 5p games isn't easy since we have another collector in the group who is as eager as I am to try his new purchases ;-) Haha, dilemma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.