Popular Tags: [View All]
Shingo Ishikawa
Australia
Isaacs
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been enjoying this game for last few times that I played. But I cannot seem to see much strategy ( long term) in the game. It seems to me, mostly about tactical decisions specially with action card comes up so randomly. I suppose you can anticipate certain action card to come later, but with other people playing, there is no gurantee that you'll be able to take it, besides, board position would change so much between turns, I really cannot see much use for planning for future action cards.

I can see there maybe some strategy in the usage of Power card but again, with 3 or 4 other people playing, it's very hard to form longterm plan. Perhaps with expansion, you may be able to form your action and strategy better...

So do you use any strategy in this game? Or this game is mostly about taking the best option each turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I think there is a good blend, which is why I rate it highly. One example of a strategy/plan is concentrating in a certain number (4 regions, 5 regions, or 6/7 regions) and hanging onto your 13 so you can grab the corresponding scoring card when it comes up. Also, you need to keep your caballeros balanced as a lot of 2nd and 3rd place finishes pay off great, plus it protects you against certain intrigue cards. A final example is trying to predict where the king is going to end up during scoring and grabbing territory away from it to ensure scoring that region. et cetra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
if you feel this way about the base game, you might want to give the k&i expansion a shot. each player constructs a hand before the game from a set of cards, and chooses one action to play each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Lopez
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly tactical for the base game as action cards are different every turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.