GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,255 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Busy month for boardgames and me. Due to a recent diagnosis of some nasty condition that's going to be a permanent issue for me I've had to finally quit smoking AND I have to be teetotal (among other things), for like, ever. For the last two months I've been seriously down about all the changes to my lifestyle I need to make but boardgaming (and the 'Geek especially) has gotten me over the worst of it (I've contributed slightly to some BGG threads since I joined and have been delighted in feeling welcome).

BUT!! I've got a lot more spending money now and just bought MK and the two expansions. I only just discovered MK this week through the geek after I googled 'games like Magic Realm' and it came up in discussions. I know its probably nothing like Magic Realm but I've been after a really deep, heavy solo gaming experience for awhile and after research on this ol' website MK sounded soo good. I had always assumed when I saw MK on the shelves of my 'FLGS' it was something to do with Heroclix, some kind shallow boardgame on collecting a ton of plastic mini's. How wrong I was!

I've recently been lucky enough to get Cthulhu Wars and Pathfinder ACG, I think they are both great (though I would have probably skipped Pathfinder if I'd found out about MK first). CW's for the multiplayer game sessions and Pathfinder for the 'have a bit of fun dungeon bash' times, but I am more than thrilled to be a new owner of a game I'm dead set on mastering and will give me loads of awesome gaming times. Seems like the proper deep, hardcore fantasy adventure game I've been longing for.

The game just arrived at work this afternoon and I'm anxious to get home. I've spent the last few days printing out a ton of the player made files (thanks to all who made these over the years, they are great). Going to watch Ricky's video's after I'm done here then setting up the game tonight for walkthrough.

I've booked three days off work next week so I can learn this beast and enjoy some R&R with it.

Its thrilling that some of the designers post on these forums too, I'm in esteemed company.

I'm just introducing myself here as I will most likely be asking some questions in the future and saying Hi to fellow MK players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Villeneuve
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that MK is the best solo experience I've had in a board game. And I've tried a few at this point.

Don't hesitate to post your questions in these forums. There's always someone quick to answer. And you WILL have questions lol

I hope you enjoy MK as much as I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Izzy Marsh
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much indeed Al. OK, here's a question for you:

I opened my Lost Legion pack last night and had a skim over the tokens. I had a query that I couldn't find the answer too, it's about token icons. Have I got this right...

Top number = Token Units Armour. I must meet or exceed this in range attacks or other combat. This unit IS open to range attacks as it doesn't have a little castle icon to the left of the armour.

Fist icon = Units attack rating. My block skill must be equal to or higher or I take damage.

Skull Icon = ouch! this is a brutal unit and doubles any damage it gives out.

Bottom number = Experience points gained for beating it? Is this an addition to my Reputation?

THE thumbs up?? Does this mean I can interact with and Hire this token if I visit a village?

Just basic questions about this particular token.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi back! And three days off is a GREAT way to get into the game as a solo player. I remember the first 24 hours with my game very fondly -- mostly because I played straight through it!

Ricky's video is a great resource for starting players with this game and so is this community. Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The +1 means you get a reputation boost of 1 when you kill them. You'll see some others that are a -1. So if you find them in a keep, you lose 1 for attacking the keep and 1 for attacking a hero. In this case you lose one and gain one so no reputation hit for the keep because these are thugs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Peterson
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
I can read lips.
mbmbmbmbmb
You got that all more or less correct except the reward icons on the bottom. If you defeat the enemy token pictured you would get 2 points in fame and 1 point in reputation. None of the units from the base game have the reputation bonus, if I recall. This would be in the expansion rule book, page 6.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the fun!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iskaral Pust
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Put the expansion away and just play the base game for a few months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Duran
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iskaral Pust wrote:

Quick disagreement. I put in the expansion right away and never looked back. Love the way it individualizes the characters a bit more and there were also a few card revisions that meant I never had to deal with whatever issues the originals initially caused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Medlock
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard! I hope your health issues improve now and you can focus on gaming.
I've recently purchased the base game of MK and played a few games (while trying to finish painting my War of The Ring miniatures) and found it extremely fun! I do recommend Ricky Royal's videos, they definitely help me to learn the nuisances of the game and I believe he has them for the two expansions as well. It might be worth playing a few of the base games first, just to learn those nuisances but you could be like the Jayded One and jump right in with all.
Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:
Iskaral Pust wrote:

Quick disagreement. I put in the expansion right away and never looked back. Love the way it individualizes the characters a bit more and there were also a few card revisions that meant I never had to deal with whatever issues the originals initially caused.

Putting in the card revisions and the basic card for each character is fine. I would recommend against adding the new enemies, tiles, and others. Obviously, it's not a huge deal, but the enemies and tiles all add more difficulty, less determination, and more complexity. Something the base game is not short of when starting out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaydedOne wrote:
Iskaral Pust wrote:

Agree, throw the expansions in. Enhances gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read the subject, I thought you were proposing a variant MK scenario where Cthulhu is the boss enemy. Now that’s got my creative juices bubbling again!
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin wrote:
When I read the subject, I thought you were proposing a variant MK scenario where Cthulhu is the boss enemy. Now that’s got my creative juices bubbling again!
devil

Actually... I'd rather not have Him as a boss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.