Subject: Session Report - Bassen Rift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this past Sunday a friend of mine and I decided to get in a round of Attack Wing, and chose the Bassen Rift scenario that came with the Scimitar. The scenario has 60 points of Fed/Rom (1 Fed Ship, 1 Rom) fighting off against a 70-point Scimitar.

My friend chose to play the Scimitar, grabbing Shinzon as captain, 4 ET’s, Admiral Hiren, Tom Paris, Secondary Shields, Polarized Hull Plating, a Dorsal Weapons Array (Dom) and a Plasma Torp.

As has already been noted in other posts for this Scenario, 60 points is not much for the Fed/Rom player when it has to be split between 2 ships. I was disappointed to realize very early on that there was no way I could take either the Ent E or the Valdore, but decided to make do. For my Rom Ship, I grabbed a generic Vo and threw Donatra on it. With only 42 points to spend on the Feds, I realized opted to field the USS Defiant. It’s a little lacking in the offense category, but it’s a tough little ship I decided to work from that. I grabbed Ahab Picard, Troi, Data, Reinforced Hull Plating, and a Mirror Dorsal Weapons Array for 42 points exactly. The plan was to shoot 4 Dice each turn, with some quality coming from Picard’s ability, and roll 3 defense each turn with Data’s evades and the Reinforced Hull as backup.

The initial pass went relatively well for me, with our ships engaging at Range 2. I scored a hit on the [cloaked] Scimitar’s hull, and despite throwing 7 dice at the Defiant, the Scimitar scored no hits (my friend hadn’t chosen to target lock). I then had both ships pull hard left turns, and used Troi to disable Shinzon. The Scimitar, flying straight, collided right into Donatra’s ship, and took 2 damage from the Scenario effect (Donatra took 1). I then scored another 3 hits to the Scimitar's hull thanks to a DWA roll that was all hits. Unfortunately, the Scimitar’s turn to attack came up, and it took a 7-die (after disabling Paris) point-blank shot at Donatra, this time rolling quite well and destroying it.

The Scimitar then chased the Defiant around a bit, with me doing my best to maneuver out of arc and fire back with the DWA when possible. The Scimitar is surprisingly maneuverable, however, so I had a hard time trying to both turn around and keep out of arc. (My "fly circles around the big slow ship plan" not working as I had hoped). Eventually, the Scimitar scored a solid hit, stripping all of the Defiant’s shields as I was nearing a corner. I had the Defiant pull a come-about (very close to the edge), hoping that my friend would expect me to turn-—unfortunately he knows I like to take risky maneuvers, so the Defiant found itself right in front of the Scimitar at range 2. I came out with only 2 hull remaining, taking only 1 shield off the Scimitar in exchange.

My options at this point were to continue playing the maneuver game, hoping to somehow remove all the Scimitar’s shields and remaining hull while taking only 1 hit, or to take a chance. I dialed in a 4 forward on my maneuver dial, listening to Worf yell "Ramming Speed!" in the back of my head, and ploughed right in to the Scimitar. It wasn't a move that was likely to work-—the Scimitar only needed 1 evade result on 4 dice in order to survive the collision, and I needed 1 evade from only 2 dice—-and it didn't: the Scimitar took no damage and the Defiant took one more. The Scimitar peeled off to left (where my friend had expected me to go), fired back with the DWA, and sent Picard to join Donatra.

All in all it was a very fun match, and I would definitely play it again. Getting 2 decent ships in for only 60 SP though is REALLY tough for the Fed/Rom player, but I like the challenge it provides in both building and in the match. I’d also love to try the match with just a 60-point Defiant, or with enough points available to field an Ent E and/or Valdore, but that’s another matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the Scimitar been build in STAW to be able to handle 2 Valdore's and the Enterprise E in battle, it would have been quite a monster, and the game tones them down considerably (the same thing happened to Voyager of course when using ablative armor and transphasic torpedoes). This being the case, any scenario that involves the ships we saw on TV results in the Scimitar going down pretty quickly.

Even so, the Scimitar as built has an advanced cloak built in (but without the shields while cloaked upgrade it had in the movie) so it's really hard to saw through the cloak without at least 5 attack dice with good quality and it has lots of hull to absorb damage. In short I don't think you had a chance.

A light enough build to allow 2 Valdores and an E (which means a very powerful Scimitar) results in the Valdores and E being so lightly equipped that it doesn't have the right thematic feel but they do have a chance at bringing the Scimitar down eventually.

I'm not sure what the right formula is, I'm guessing maybe 1 Valdore with Donatra and the Enterprise E, decently equipped against the dreadnought version of the Scimitar?

Thanks for your session report, it was fun to read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.

I'm certainly not upset about them toning down the Scimitar relative to what we saw on screen, since obviously it has to fit within the design space for the game.

In terms of the scenario itself, I do think a 70 Fed/Rom vs. 80 Scimitar would at least allow the possibility of grabbing the E or Valdore (still not both though). That being said, while the scenario doesn't really allow use of the same ships we saw on screen, it does capture the feel of the on-screen battle really well (as in, "how the heck am I going to beat that thing we're all to die!?"). So in that respect I think the scenario does a great job, and I'm not sure you'd still capture that same feeling once you start throwing more points at the Fed/Rom player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.