Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Smith
Netherlands
Helmond
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally write session reports, but I had so much fun with this game that I decided to make an exception.

It was a solo game with 3 heroes (Ra, The Scholar and Nightmist) fighting against the Ennead (advanced mode) in the Realm of Dischord. I knew going into things that it was probably going to run long, but even I wasn't prepared for the massive battle that commenced.

Everyone had fantastic opening hands (including the Ennead who smashed all three of the heroes badly before we even had our first turn). Ra launched straight into damage dealing (as the only hero with little to no healing, I hoped he could whittle down the opposition as much as possible before his inevitable death), the Scholar alternated back and forth between healing and dealing small amounts of damage relying on Mortal Form to Energy to do both at once and Nightmist went straight into Mist Form and spent the first third of the game collecting cards (a strategy I'd never tried before, but which I think turned out wonderfully).

The environment wasn't a major factor early in the game, but some unfortunate combos in the villain deck meant that the entire Ennead made it into the field before we could kill the first villain and Ra was sadly forced to change targets and take out Nuit, allowing many of the others to heal most of their damage. Not long after that, Ra finally succumbed to the overwhelming damage combos of his nemeses.

From that point on, the Scholar permanently switched from Mortal-Energy to Flesh to Iron, relying on his Truth Seeker to continue dealing damage and drawing cards and healing primarily through card play. Meanwhile Nightmist abandoned her Mist Form after amassing a hand of I think 20+ cards. Her first play was Amulet of the Elder Gods, which unfortunately was immediately destroyed by a villain card, but she then launched into a series of multiple Oblivions dealing a massive amount of damage across the board - the Scholar was mostly safe from these attacks, but she did unfortunately injure herself quite often (not to mention several heavy attacks from the Ennead that also primarily injured her) and had to go through 2 Mist Fueled recoveries.

Working together, the two valiant heroes managed to bring down the majority of the Ennead, relying on Ra's incap abilities to repeatedly get rid of the devilish Ethereal Bonds. She recovered her Amulet of the Elder Gods and seemed well positioned to deal out ever more damage, but a series of Claustrophic Delusions made her Oblivions almost useless. And, eventually, Nightmist, too, fell prey to the enemy's attacks.

With an extra power from Ra's incap abilities and an extra Cardplay from Nightmist's, the Scholar suddenly became a healing and damage dealing machine - that is, until all his ongoings were wiped from the table. He recovered Flesh to Iron fast enough to prevent any serious damage, but his Truth seeker remained out of reach for more than a full cycle through the deck, leaving only very limited damage dealing opportunities (mainly Grace Under Fire, which had unfortunately become significantly less useful now that most of the Ennead were dead).

In his fight against the final three members of the evil gods, the Scholar was repeatedly shackled by Ethereal Bonds and lashed by spinning vortexes and even had his Truth Seeker destroyed a second time (due to an ill timed Imbued Vitality), but (with a little help from Portal Fiends and Exploding Bubbles who tended to deal more damage to the Ennead than the Scholar) he slowly managed to bring Nephthys to her knees, then Tefnut, and at long last was able to turn loose on Set. From the time Nightmist fell to the final breath of the Ennead, he had cycled through his entire deck at least six times.

Here is the aftermath:

All told, the game took at least 3 and a half hours from start to finish. And even though the outcome of the game probably wasn't ever really in doubt (the Scholar never dipped below 10 life, and once the Ennead fell below 4 members, their damage dealing capabilities became nearly non-existent) it was the most epic feeling game I have ever played. It's not a combination I ever intend to play again, but I am so glad I did it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how did the ra player feel about the game? depending on what time he went down i can see that being a pretty unrewarding experience. if he died 3 hours into a 3-1/2 hour game, that would be one thing but if he had nothing but his incapicitated abilities for more than an hour i'm pretty certain i'd find that pretty awful.

the ennead is definitely rough. i had a really memorable game against them where defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory when the leaky room showed up for a second time in Atlantis. it was pretty hilarious actually. a superhero team undone by a two leaky rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Thurston
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
how did the ra player feel about the game?
First line of the report says it was a solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dthurston wrote:
colinmarsh wrote:
how did the ra player feel about the game?
First line of the report says it was a solo play.

yes it does. i need to read better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.