GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,551 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Up Front» Forums » Variants

Subject: Scouts in Up Front rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen several version of Scouts, but did not like them very much so this is my take on using Scouts in Up Front. This has only been play tested 3 times and 2 of those the scout was KIA’d early on. This might work better as a SSR. Take a look and see what you think.

Scouts in Up Front
Any nation can designate one man as a Scout if he is armed with a Rifle, Machine Pistol, Assault Rifle, or Carbine with a minimum moral of 4 and is not a SL, ASL or Commissar.
There can only be one Scout per side in any scenario. He cannot have any secondary weapons of any kind. The Scout can set up and be in a group of only 1 at start or later by transfer.
If the Scout is 1 or more ranges in front of any group, and that group is moving and gets terrain discarded on them, they may discard and ignore it on a random number check of a black 1-6 on that players next turn. This counts as an action for the Scout group.
When alone and unpinned in front of any friendly group by 1 or more, and at RR3 or closer to any enemy group the Scout may try to gain intel on the enemy by passing a morale check or playing a movement card to the discard tray. If he uses the morale check and fails he is pinned. If he passes or plays the movement card he then checks the next card under the column 4 and if it is red he can look at the opponent’s hand. All left and right movement to the column are the same as for infiltration.

Thanks for any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
topman1 wrote:
I have seen several version of Scouts, but did not like them very much so this is my take on using Scouts in Up Front. This has only been play tested 3 times and 2 of those the scout was KIA’d early on. This might work better as a SSR. Take a look and see what you think.

Scouts in Up Front
Any nation can designate one man as a Scout if he is armed with a Rifle, Machine Pistol, Assault Rifle, or Carbine with a minimum moral of 4 and is not a SL, ASL or Commissar.
There can only be one Scout per side in any scenario. He cannot have any secondary weapons of any kind. The Scout can set up and be in a group of only 1 at start or later by transfer.
If the Scout is 1 or more ranges in front of any group, and that group is moving and gets terrain discarded on them, they may discard and ignore it on a random number check of a black 1-6 on that players next turn. This counts as an action for the Scout group.
When alone and unpinned in front of any friendly group by 1 or more, and at RR3 or closer to any enemy group the Scout may try to gain intel on the enemy by passing a morale check or playing a movement card to the discard tray. If he uses the morale check and fails he is pinned. If he passes or plays the movement card he then checks the next card under the column 4 and if it is red he can look at the opponent’s hand. All left and right movement to the column are the same as for infiltration.

Thanks for any feedback.

A few questions:

What does "in front of" mean?

- Since you can't have two groups with the same letter, I presume this means something like this:

A B C D (Moving)
Scout 2men 2men 5+ men
RC2 RC0 RC0 RC1

Can group D take advantage of the ability to discard enemy placed terrain--even though the Scout is not currently scouting in this area? Or did you mean the Scout had to form an adjacent group?

- Can the moving group still reject the terrain (if allowed) if they fail the Scout RNC? Presumably the Scout warns of irrejectable terrain.

- Can the scout cause terrain to be discarded even though he is pinned? Or wounded?

- Can a lone man group become a Scout if the rest of the group he started with was eliminated?

Not necessarily a bad idea, but tends to help the attackers more than the defenders--since they more often on the move and in need of the auto reject ability. Also I don't know if I'd use the "Intel" feature--I king of assume the worst whenever I am forced advance for the win in a danger our situation (like reach RR3 or 5) If there are dangerous cards there--they aren't going away if I decide to delay the attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Brown
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
topman1 wrote:

Scouts in Up Front

Thanks for any feedback.

A few questions:

What does "in front of" mean?

- Since you can't have two groups with the same letter, I presume this means something like this:

A B C D (Moving)
Scout 2men 2men 5+ men
RC2 RC0 RC0 RC1

Can group D take advantage of the ability to discard enemy placed terrain--even though the Scout is not currently scouting in this area? Or did you mean the Scout had to form an adjacent group?

- Can the moving group still reject the terrain (if allowed) if they fail the Scout RNC? Presumably the Scout warns of irrejectable terrain.

- Can the scout cause terrain to be discarded even though he is pinned? Or wounded?

- Can a lone man group become a Scout if the rest of the group he started with was eliminated?

Not necessarily a bad idea, but tends to help the attackers more than the defenders--since they more often on the move and in need of the auto reject ability. Also I don't know if I'd use the "Intel" feature--I king of assume the worst whenever I am forced advance for the win in a danger our situation (like reach RR3 or 5) If there are dangerous cards there--they aren't going away if I decide to delay the attack.

Questions about Scouts in Up Front

“What does in front of mean?”

Yes the example you gave would be what was meant.

Group D question:

No the Scout needs to be in a group adjacent to the group getting the scouting help.

“Can the moving group still reject the terrain (if allowed) if they fail the Scout RNC?”

Yes per all normal rules regarding terrain. The Scout is warring of irrejectabel terrain giving a heads up to that group.

“Can the scout cause terrain to be discarded even though he is pinned or wounded?”

No for pinned, if wounded subtract 1 from the RNC needed and 2 if wounded 2 times.

“Can a lone man group become a Scout if the rest of the group he started with was eliminated?”

No Scouts have to be designated before start of game. (I have been using an Infiltrator chit to mark any Scouts.)

I thought it was an idea worth putting out there and if you don’t like the intel part just don’t use it.

Up Front is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.