Subject: Clarification on Leader Casualties, Seizure Negation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a MoI vet but medieval English personalities, politics, and military history fascinate me so B&R was a must have. I ran through the 1st St. Albans and Blore Heath scenarios last weekend with an opponent and despite losing both as the Lancastrians I thoroughly enjoyed it. My mounted charge blitz at Blore Heath was a complete disaster (exaggerated by the fact that we forgot the counter charge against missile fire rule) but the session was intended to live (or die) and learn anyway.

But I digress and want to air a couple of rule clarifications / confirmations.

1. Leader casualties - If more than one leader is accompanying a unit in a hex that is missile or shock attacked with a die roll that meets the "roll for leader casualty" criterion I assume the correct action is to roll separately for each leader present to determine if they are killed.
2. Replacement leaders - Rule (5.6) indicates that the replacement leader is placed at the end of that player's next activation phase. Confirming that the replacement leader is placed even if that leader's Battle is not part of the next activation?
3. Seizure - If a seizure attempt fails by die roll the continuing player gets a free activation (6.3). If a seizure negation chit is played however that section of the rules just indicates no seizure attempt can be made and the markers are discarded. Looking for confirmation that a seizure negation chit play does not result in a Free Activation but rather just allows the continuation player to proceed and attempt a continuation as per normal continuation roll.

Thanks for any replies and hope to get this back to the table again soon while the rules are still stuck in my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
manassas9570 wrote:
I am not a MoI vet but medieval English personalities, politics, and military history fascinate me so B&R was a must have. I ran through the 1st St. Albans and Blore Heath scenarios last weekend with an opponent and despite losing both as the Lancastrians I thoroughly enjoyed it. My mounted charge blitz at Blore Heath was a complete disaster (exaggerated by the fact that we forgot the counter charge against missile fire rule) but the session was intended to live (or die) and learn anyway.

Glad you enjoyed it!

manassas9570 wrote:

1. Leader casualties - If more than one leader is accompanying a unit in a hex that is missile or shock attacked with a die roll that meets the "roll for leader casualty" criterion I assume the correct action is to roll separately for each leader present to determine if they are killed.

Indeed, each leader should roll for their fate separately. Looking at those rules, that could be a touch clearer.

manassas9570 wrote:

2. Replacement leaders - Rule (5.6) indicates that the replacement leader is placed at the end of that player's next activation phase. Confirming that the replacement leader is placed even if that leader's Battle is not part of the next activation?

Yes, the leader is placed whether that Battle is Activated or not. In fact, it would be impossible to Activate that Battle via Continuation, since it would have no leader to roll for Continuation. The Battle could be Activated via a Free Activation.

manassas9570 wrote:

3. Seizure - If a seizure attempt fails by die roll the continuing player gets a free activation (6.3). If a seizure negation chit is played however that section of the rules just indicates no seizure attempt can be made and the markers are discarded. Looking for confirmation that a seizure negation chit play does not result in a Free Activation but rather just allows the continuation player to proceed and attempt a continuation as per normal continuation roll.

Yes, the game continues as if the Seizure Opportunity counter was not played. This means that the interrupted Continuation attempt would go forward.
I could make that clearer, right now it is implied, but not stated explicitly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich
United States
Northern VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, 19 minutes and a response already - thank you.

And seeing as how I was three for three based on studying the rules I don't think much editing is required. Being explicit on the multiple leader roll for death might help but the rest I think are good as written.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I think someone else asked the same about Seizure Negation, so it might not be a bad idea to be explicit.

Thanks! We worked hard on the rules, I am glad that paid off.

If you have other questions, I am happy to answer them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.