BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: [WIP] Behemoths - 2 Player PnP Version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Behemoths is a miniatures combat game based around the idea that giant monsters can use their entire bodies in combat, just with varied effectiveness depending on the facing. Each unit has different stats for each side, so while a dragon might have very strong jaws, its wings will be relatively susceptible to attack.

It's up on Google Docs for easy updating. Make sure when you print you do so in landscape. I've had some people waste ink.

Right now I'm debating on the scope. I've had a lot of fun with doubling the size, but the dice rolling mechanics don't lend themselves to the larger scale and the units themselves start to feel less "massive" when there's a lot of them. Not sure yet which direction to go in.

EDIT: I've finalized the ruleset for the 2 player PnP contest and created a separate Doc for it.

Contest Build
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I changed flying to only work in a single direction, but be less expensive. Let me know what you think of the new flying!

Instructions for how to handle first time play have been added to the introduction, as well as instructions on how to scale up the game to larger battles.

I've included tracking cards that you can use tokens to track if you have trouble seeing the pieces under tokens, but I still recommend just placing them on the units. People have been asking for them though, so here they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Updated the visuals for the pieces. The old ones are still up until I get the behemoth pictures on the new layout.

EDIT: Pictures are on the new pieces, but I'm not sure I like how they look with that transparency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've got several experimental units up in case people want to fiddle with them. I'm really anxious about both the triceratops and jelly.

The triceratops seems like it'll be too complicated with the extra attacking. If it causes issues let me know and I'll rework it.

The Jelly doesn't have numbers on the piece. Up till now I've avoided any ability that effects the number of dice rolled because it messes with your ability to eyeball scenarios. I'm not sure how it'll pan out.

A scenario with an alternate win condition has also been added. Haven't gotten to play it much, I might end up shrinking the pool.

As always, let me know what you think if you get a chance to try it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Reverted the Crab to its original, more interesting, design.
Added more create-your-own unit hexes.
Gave the experimental Jelly unit some art.

EDIT: Enabled comments
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nithya Nagarajan
msg tools
Just watched your Meet n Greet video. Looked at your game on google docs. It looks really cool! Love the cute behemoths artwork on the hex cards. It's on my print and play wishlist now. Will let you know how it goes after I print it and play.

Also love the idea of making our own behemoths!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
nithyanaag wrote:
Just watched your Meet n Greet video. Looked at your game on google docs. It looks really cool! Love the cute behemoths artwork on the hex cards. It's on my print and play wishlist now. Will let you know how it goes after I print it and play.

Also love the idea of making our own behemoths!
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what you think after playing, as well as whatever behemoth designs you come up with! Feel free to make your own terrain as well. I made a bleeding blank board in case anybody wants to make multi-board giganto-maps.

Today I realized I could fit pretty much my entire game in a large pill bottle. I had to ditch the double map and a second set of units, but the rest fit including the rules(sans the intro page) and dice. That's awesome.

I'll work on making the rules more compact so I can fit in another map or get it into a smaller bottle. The tokens and boards fit fine, just wanna get those rules in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I've edited the OP to reflect the state of the 2 player PnP contest entry.

I plan on continuing to fiddle with the game, but until voting or the contest is done I'll keep it on the down low.

If you have the old link bookmarked and are playing Behemoths for the contest, I recommend using the more recently added contest entry version. Unless you already printed it out, then go ham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Petroziello
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
Downloaded. I'll try and read the rules this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Funniest thing happened as I was making a version to send to a store owner I know to test.

Printed in monochrome accidentally. Now it's playable with three people: blue, red, grey. I'll have to try that at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Robertson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Some absolutely amazing changes have been made to Behemoths recently that I can't wait to share.

Several new units, an additional terrain type and focal point, and an amazing 3 person map with an associated ruleset.

I can't wait to post it after the design contest is concluded. If you want a taste of what it's like make sure you play by the experimental "longer games" rule, which will be the new default damage system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls