Craig Foster
United States
Malibu
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I'm confused by which die goes where after an attack. Please check me to see if this is correct:

1) Unblocked attack -> Used Pile
2) Blocked but not KO'd attack -> Field Zone
3) Successful block -> KO/Prep Area
4) Damaged -> KO/Prep Area
5) KO'd -> Prep Area

Is that right? Did I miss any permutations?

The problem I have is I don't understand the meta of this. What's the principle behind where the dice go?

Thanks!

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Simple Rules Question
1-2: right
3: not sure what you mean. If you block a guy or are blocked and your character lives, it goes to field. If it dies, it goes to prep.
4: no. If not ko'ed, it goes to field.
5: yes.

Edit: because autocorrect sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GARY SEVEN
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Zxqueb wrote:
1-2: right
3: not sure what you mean. If you block a guy or are blocked and your character lives, it goes to field. If it dies, it goes to prep.
4: no. If not ko'ed, it goes to field.
5: yes.

Edit: because autocorrect sucks.

This seems right.

A core principle of attacking/blocking is for instance that you may not want to attack with everything if you can not kill your opponent with this attack. The reason being is that they might just let all your attackers be unblocked. They would not take fatal damage and all your dice will go to your used pie. You then would have no characters in the field and on your opponents turn they can first field some new characters and then attack you with all their characters which you will have to let through since you have not characters to block. This may allow them to deal you enough damage to win the game.

Also, sometimes you might want to block characters so your blockers get KO'd and go to your prep area so that on your next turn you will have 4+ dice to roll, thus giving you potentially more energy, thus allowing you to buy more/more expansive dice.

There are a lot of other things to consider but this is just a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sias Mey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The principle is this...

Deals damage to opponent after not blocked? Moves to used.
Knocked out by being damaged beyond D score? Moves to Prep.
did not get enough damage? ... Moves back to field. The attack zone is still technically part of the field zone. So basically the dice never leave it. You just push them into the attack zone to indicate which ones attack and which ones dont.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CHF_90265 wrote:
The problem I have is I don't understand the meta of this. What's the principle behind where the dice go?

There is no thematic reasoning to it, if that's what you mean, though I'm sure one could be argued.

Rather it is one of the purely mechanical aspects to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foldedcard
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Presumably the rule to put uncontested hitters in the used pile is for both balance (slows a runaway leader) and to make the decision making more interesting. E.g. If I do an unblocked attack now, I lose a potentially strong defender or give up an even stronger attack later (also gives you opponent an interesting choice to let an attack go through or to use a blocker).

Thematically, I think of it as the character hitting the player with everything he's got and so needing time to recharge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d schout
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Stupid questoin:
If a sidekick gets knocked out, where do you move the die to? Nothing I have read says whether it goes to the prep area or used area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tenchu98 wrote:
Stupid questoin:
If a sidekick gets knocked out, where do you move the die to? Nothing I have read says whether it goes to the prep area or used area.

In short, he goes to the Prep Area(every character die does in a normal case if they where KOd)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d schout
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thank you, w bought the yu-gi-oh version for my son and are still trying to learn the gameplay.

I did by avenger v xmen and we played avengers againt yu-gi-oh. That was an interesting game.

1 more question, about spiderman. I don't remember which on it is, but there is one that you pay a fist and raise his defense +4. I am wondering if this is a permanent effect. I guess Harpy Lady would have a similiar question. I assumed, that since they don't say until the end of the turn it is permanent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All effects end at the end of the turn, unless stated (i.e. "While Active" effects, which last as long as said character is active).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d schout
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
pk2317 wrote:
All effects end at the end of the turn, unless stated (i.e. "While Active" effects, which last as long as said character is active).

Thank you, that clarifies alot for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.