GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,439 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Small World Race PDF - Frost Titans rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf Calderon
msg tools
Hey guys, I'm posting a second custom Small World race PDF - the Frost Titans.

Rules: 4 Tokens base, 9 total

Frost Titans place a Frost Rune token in the first region they conquer, and may conquer any Mountain region using a single token. A minimum of one Frost Titan token is still required. The Frost Rune token makes the region immune to enemy conquests and racial and special powers while the Frost Titans are active, and is not removed if you abandon the Region (but you must still occupy the region to score Victory coins). The region containing the Frost Rune token may be conquered by Frost Titans using a single token. A minimum of one Frost Titan token is still required. When the Frost Titans go into Decline, the Frost Rune token remains on the board - it no longer grants immunity but adds defense to its Region for the rest of the game.

You can download the PDF for Frost Titans here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/e6ywvd40kxsb3e8

The Frost Titans specialize in taking over mountain regions, so Giants beware! They are, however, not a very populous race so they may be played defensively by taking advantage of their Frost Rune region and the additional defense of Mountain regions. On the offensive, their Frost Rune negates a region from your opponents while you set up shop on Mountains effortlessly. In decline, the Frost Titans effectively add another Mountain to the board, as their Frost Rune stays on the map granting defense to the Frost Rune region for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one seems relatively balanced, although not sure about granting offensive ability AND one space immunity. Do not think any race exists like that. Possibly it is counter balanced with the 4 race tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
Cool idea.

Do they conquer empty Mountain regions with a single race token? Do they still pay extra tokens if there are race tokens in the region?

The frost rune might be confused for an immunity token while in decline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
They conquer any Mountain region with a single token, empty or not. In testing, this was pretty balanced with them at 4 tokens base. And yeah, the frost rune region is immune while active, so it's in the shape of an immune token.

The back side has the +1 Defense icon and is monochrome to try to make the difference clear. If it's confusing, one thing I could do is change it so it's the size of a regular race token, with the front having the image in the shape of an immunity icon, then the back would take up the whole token so it's clear its not an immune region.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
Just want to add my thoughts for what they're worth. Maybe it's all rubbish, or maybe it helps. Just trying to help out with constructive criticism.

At my first glance, they still seem a bit overpowered at 4 base tokens. I'm curious if they'd still be good at 3?

I'm considering the pros:

1. Mountains are best terrain for defense (auto +1).
2. Your first mountain is immune to all other players. Only 1 race token needed to retain it for scoring.
3. Empty mountain costs 3 to conquer normally. All maps except for 2-player map has two adjacent mountains on edge of board for first conquests. Your first two conquests give you a 4 race token discount, minimum. Later stages of game, those mountains are likely occupied. Then the discount is 6 race tokens (minimum) for the first two conquests. This doesn't count a 3rd or 4th mountain conquered on the next turn, and those race token discounts.
4. Frost rune provides additional +1 defense while in decline.

The cons are:
1. Less base number of race tokens
2. power is restricted to mountains

The first con seems like one way to balance it out, as you're implementing. The second con doesn't seem so bad since mountains are prime real-estate for defense, and that the Frost Titans' power makes them cheap to conquer, when normally they're more difficult to conquer than the other terrains.

Maybe there is some other interaction going on which balances it out which I'm not seeing. You can speak to that since you've played with them and I have not.

About the immune/defense token. What if you had one of each? Use the immune token while they're active, then swap it with the defense token while in decline? Then you can make the defense token any kind of interesting design you wish (rune-shaped?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
Hey casual thanks for taking the time to give such good feedback and thoughts. I did try them out at 3 base initially, but decided they were underwhelming at that number, to the point where their ability to take over mountains so effectively didn't compensate for their low number of regions in a game, rune token or not.

3 felt like a number better suited to races that manipulate or generate bonus currency, so I went with 4 for the Frost Titans, since my exercise in making races did involve other races at a 3-base and 2-base.

Part of their vulnerability lies in taking over other regions, because they will have to - even on maps where there are two mountains next to one another they will want/have to spread beyond the mountains and rune token region (also, there is no special power that will give them bonus coins for mountains, so turtling on three or so regions is less likely).

Their power does make them the undisputed kings of mountains, but in practice they will be attacked at their non-mountain regions since they won't have the benefit of being able to take those back with one token, and as this goes on, they won't have the numbers to conquer or re-conquer non-mountain regions, becoming thinned-down to a point where opponents may begin attacking them even on mountains.

So with these I'm trying to create a race that is lower population but that can fight back against more offensive races or may be attractive and viable even when there's a popular offensive race on the list (like Amazons or Ratmen who tend to get picked regardless of special power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
Hey no problem. I like figuring/balancing out these sorts of things.

I like that point you bring up about their weakness to conquering other terrain. I may have focused too much on their strength of taking over a mountain with just 1 race token. I pictured a player having just conquered a couple of mountains on their first turn, with 2 or 3 race tokens in each for defense, then the next player taking the titans and taking over those mountains at a massive discount. Though thinking about it more, maybe that's just something to be aware of, as far as available race/combos on the side. (Don't invest too heavily in defense of mountains if Titans are afoot).

They seem like a race where you can burst-conquer a fair number of regions over 1 or 2 turns, go in decline, and let other players pay a premium to kick them out. Taking a non-mountain terrain as a first conquest seems like they way I'd play it.

Nice job, and the artwork looks sharp!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raf Calderon
msg tools
Definitely! everyone can see the list of race/powers so investing your race heavily onto mountains when you see there's Frost Titans in line would be unwise play. And I agree with not taking a mountain as your first conquest.

Cool well I really hope you get a chance to try them out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.