GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,497 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
13 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Small World» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Race - Ninjas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pub Meeple posted a new race in the files section: PDF with tokens/race card and a nice video link on making tokens!. But, I wanted to add it to the forums as I hate it when discussions get lost in the files section.

Ninjas 5 (10):
"Any time a region controlled by your active Ninjas is conquered, you may roll the reinforcement die to attempt an assassination on one of the conquering tokens to that region. If a 1, 2, or 3 is rolled, the conquering race must return one of that region's conquering tokens back to the storage tray. In the event that the only token being used to conquer the region is assassinated, the region becomes empty until it is reconquered."

New Race - Ninjas!

Pub Meeple

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was reading it again, and you might want to add a comment that the region is still conquered even if the assassination attempt is successful. Caveat to this would be your last sentence (ie. if no enemy token is available post-assassination, the region is left empty).

Maybe something like:

"Any time a region controlled by your active Ninjas is conquered, you may roll the reinforcement die to attempt an assassination on one of the conquering tokens to that region. If a 1, 2, or 3 is rolled, the conquering race must return one of that region's conquering tokens back to the storage tray. The conquering race still takes control of the region. In the event that the only token being used to conquer the region is assassinated, the region becomes empty until it is reconquered."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
msg tools
If I may add my thoughts.

By the way its described, it does seem that the empty region would go down in the books as a conquest, even though the lone race token was assassinated.

However, post-assassination, the region is empty of tokens, and therefore I think it should not be considered under any player's control.

The distinction being that a conquest would count toward Skeletons, Orcs, etc.

But lack of control would negate a region bonus (Forest, Swamp, Mountain for Giants, etc)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pub Meeple

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Good work clarifying, and you are correct. Conquests should get their bonuses, where points for controlling regions would not count since they do not control the territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Nice work on this Ninja race!
When I read its power description, I wonder if it's not too powerful though. For those who tested it, how did it fair compared to other races?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
McDonough
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had it come up a few times. It was well balanced. Probably because opponents tend to look for other targets, combined with the "luck" factor that may cause no tokens to be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
Hello,

Nice work on this Ninja race!
When I read its power description, I wonder if it's not too powerful though. For those who tested it, how did it fair compared to other races?

Thanks!
I've played with several races/powers that kill/chance to kill an attacking token and they are almost universally bad. They effectively become a "don't attack me" race because given the choice between using 4 guys to conquer 2 Ninjas and [possibly] losing 1 vs using 4 guys and not losing any to conquer 2 of someone else, the attacker will always choose the race that doesn't cost them a token. For further discussion see this post on how not to create a custom race/power

Basically, these kind of powers are just not fun. It disappoints me in fact that there is now an official race with such a power (Skags) although there at least it is risk/reward as the attacker could get a bonus or be assassinated.

If you really must include such a race/power then the assassinated token should go back to the attacks hand or be put aside for this round, rather than returned to the box. In this way, the ability is defensive but doesn't become a universal "don't attack me"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that you're mentioning it, I have played against the skags, and even though I really love the video game from which they came, but the random kills from those tokens can be frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.