Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play Attack Wing with friends using my figures, and I've got a bunch now so it's cumbersome to try and build a legion on the spot. I've been contemplating some drafting rules, and here's what I've come up with.

Basically, it's a modified Rochester draft for units, and then a Winchester draft for upgrade cards. With the added rule that restrictions on upgrade cards don't matter.

Step 1: Drafting creatures

Shuffle together the unnamed card for each of your figures to form a deck.

Deal out 6 characters. Find their corresponding named cards and put them out as well.

The 6 pairs of cards will be drafted ABBAAB; that is, the first player will get first, fourth and fifth pick; and the second player will get second, third, and last pick.

Deal out 6 more characters as before and draft again, but this time reverse the order of picks so that the second player gets first pick.

Each character should now have 6 pairs of cards.

Step 2: Drafting upgrades

Shuffle together all upgrades and then create a deck of 80 upgrade cards.

Players will alternate drafting one of four stacks of cards. On a player's turn, he first deals 4 cards out onto 4 different stacks (all 4 stacks will be empty in the first round; after that, one stack will be empty each round until the end). The cards are always dealt to the stacks from left to right; the player doesn't get to pick which card goes where.

Then the player chooses one stack and takes all cards in that stack.

His opponent then takes a turn, dealing 4 cards and picking a stack. Continue until all 80 cards are drafted.

Note that players will probably not end up with the same number of upgrade cards.

Step 3: Legion building

Finally, each player takes the units and upgrades he's drafted and builds a 200-point legion. Follow the normal legion building rules, with one exception: ignore all restrictions on upgrade cards. Only the slow of the upgrade matters. For example, any dragon can use Devotrix of Tiamat for one of their dragon upgrades (normally only Esheadra can equip it), but a Wraith could not equip it because the Wraith doesn't have a dragon upgrade slot.

This includes campaign artifacts; any number of campaign artifacts that a player has drafted may be used.

Step 4: Fight!

Fight a battle using any appropriate rules or scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I only play Attack Wing with friends using my figures, and I've got a bunch now so it's cumbersome to try and build a legion on the spot.

Interesting idea. Personally, I prefer to make characterful or even game-winning combinations. But I know what you mean by building legions 'on the spot'. We build in advance, and keep records of what we build so that we can use them again. We have about 20 usable builds, but lack of enough popular cards prevents using all 20 at once!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mjölnyr .
msg tools
mb
The poroblem I see with this is the ownership of the cards and minis... do you mix everybodies? I have enough minis to do this with 2-4 people (not hard sinde this game uses arround 3 minis per player) but for an entire tourney... that's at least 8 people, which means you need to mix minis and cards wich can lead to confusion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own one of everything. I don't know anyone else who owns any at all.

My intention with this is strictly for 2-player games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.