Subject: To back or not to back...that is the question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As the project nears its end, I find myself still undecided about whether to back this or just wait for it to come out in retail. Help! What would be the benefits of buying now vs waiting? Are there disadvantages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you want to wait? Support a small company, get the limited special edition (they are really limited) and additional:

Quote:
Within one month of receiving your copy of Between Two Cities, you can send it back to us for a full pledge refund, no questions asked. We’re in St. Louis, but we have ambassadors worldwide, so the return shipping cost will be minimal (and we’ll reimburse you for it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
And the fact that you'll help unlock artwork stretch goals that will be included in every retail copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on what shipping would normally cost for you. The price in the Kickstarter is less than what it will retail, and shipping worldwide is really good. For me, living in Thailand, backing is a must. For you, it depends.

This game will retail, and unless you are really wanting to get the special edition with the extra wooden bits (which, from the sound of your original post, you aren't), you could just as easily wait for this to release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corina Cretu
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally didn't hesitate when backing the project. I got to play a prototype last year and loved it! My boyfriend and I mostly play 2 player games, and I would've backed it even if it didn't come with the 1-2 player options in the box. It is that good! The semi-cooperative aspect of building the cities is unique and very satisfying in my opinion. The decisions you need to make when there is no 'best tile' for one city and how you sometimes need to favour one city over another... it's all quite exciting!
So, if I may, I'd suggest you back the game and support a great company which is running an awesome campaign (and has a great track record). Or if not, do play it after it gets published. It's really worth it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
and shipping worldwide is really good. For me, living in Thailand, backing is a must. For you, it depends.

The $9 for Thailand is really good, sure. But "Worldwide" is the "Everywhere else" category, which is $30.

I mean, sure, MM or CSI would cost more for a single not-tiny boxed game, but for many games on eBay shipping can be much lower, and on Amazon I can usually combine 2-4 games (depending on weight/size of course) for ~$30-40 shipping.

I really like what I'm seeing on this game, and it's absolutely going high on my wishlist for the future, but it's very hard for me to justify it as a $60 game.
It does seem like a very attractive deal on the lower shipping rates options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yarondav wrote:
I really like what I'm seeing on this game, and it's absolutely going high on my wishlist for the future, but it's very hard for me to justify it as a $60 game.
It does seem like a very attractive deal on the lower shipping rates options.
I feel for your shipping cost

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaron, hopefully someday we'll have better shipping rates for Israel and the Middle East, but that's the best we can offer for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it could had been three Special edition copies for $129 though?

So $43 each if one found three others interested?

May be very hard locally and among friends though. But with the borders of the nation and national shipping maybe?

But then again if that would had cost like $50-55 and people could had backed the regular edition themselves for $59 that likely feel safer.

Also quite expensive at $50 too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dora Emon
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all your replies. I did decide to back it. Looking forward to playing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yaron Davidson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
Yaron, hopefully someday we'll have better shipping rates for Israel and the Middle East, but that's the best we can offer for now.

I did eventually decide to back, for 2 copies, so the price per-copy became more reasonable. Second copy will either go as a gift, or I'll use the set as a contender in the extremely small range of games that could work well with 14 people, some of which non-gamers, without being a party games (which makes it an expensive game, but close to the only game that hits this need I know of)

aliquis wrote:
I assume it could had been three Special edition copies for $129 though?

That can be reasonable for many countries, if possible to find other buyers, or people to gift them to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.