Popular Tags: dice [+] [View All]
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Ok,

I'd admit that LCR is not a favorite game of mine but we sell 4 copies of it a day. So why is rated so low yet sells so much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Off the top of my head:

It's bought by the vast majority of gamers in this country who are not folks who come to BGG and rate games.

It makes a nice stocking stuffer / quick gift for someone who is looking for an inexpensive game to give to someone.

It looks like a game. And the clear packaging helps. You can see poker chips, dice....that must be a game.

It is very easy to explain. I watched a game store owner try to explain Blokus as a nice game to give. But the customer's eyes just seem to glaze over. I can imagine LCR hits several "I know what you mean" points.

Price is very attractive compared to the other games out ther.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McGeehan
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jerry Springer show was for a while one of the most popular daytime shows on television - and it lost that popularity when it tried to clean up the show.

Dancing With the Stars is a highly profitable TV show. Joe Millionaire was on top of the ratings, long ago.

etc. etc.

I'm glad that the game helps my local FLGS (not that I really have a local FLGS) stay afloat, that said, popularity != quality. Never has, and never will.

Not a bad game while inebriated though. Everything has its place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blush What is LCR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably assuming it is an abbreviation, when in fact it is the name of a simple dice game:
LCR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a ridiculously simple gambling game one can play drunk. Don't tell me there's no market for things like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the time I left Spencer Gifts a couple of years ago, LCR had been consistantly in their top 10 profit making items for about 1.5 years running. Imagine the number of units they sold conisdering it was a top profit making item at a $6.99 retail price.

Yes, I believe all its selling points have been hit on already. It's very easy to learn (like, when your drunk). It's a gambling game (something that's a "fad" right now). It can very easily be turned into a drinking game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
well one thing this thread points out that I didn't know. Lots of boardgamers like to get drunk...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
W0tever wrote:
You're probably assuming it is an abbreviation, when in fact it is the name of a simple dice game:
LCR

Left Center Right

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John So-And-So
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
You and the Cap'n make it hap'n
mbmbmbmbmb
Because people are dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
CapAp wrote:
Because people are dumb.

and drunk!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick B
United States
Sunnyvale
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's a ridiculously simple gambling game one can play drunk. Don't tell me there's no market for things like that.

Yup. The only time I've played it was at a party. Two tables of 8 people each, and going strong. It would be a complete bore if not for the pile of dollar bills in the middle of the tables...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Switch the first two letters and you get a cleaner that'll eat rust and bathtub deposits...C.L.R. (Calcium, Lime, Rust)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
bookgnome wrote:
Switch the first two letters and you get a cleaner that'll eat rust and bathtub deposits...C.L.R. (Calcium, Lime, Rust)

Or you could listen to C.C.R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny that someone already mentioned Dancing With The Stars. I'll provide my example anyway.

It's the same reason why Dancing With The Stars is continually in the top 10 of the weekly Neilsen ratings in the US while a show like Smith is cancelled after three episodes.

Incidentally, I refuse to get even remotely interested in a television show because it's the kiss of death. The last 3 shows that actually intrigued me didn't last a single season.

Smith
The Handler
Keen Eddie

No wonder I'd rather be gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Seddon
United Kingdom
Congleton
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I know, LCR doesn't really sell much in UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I've sold 3 copies of it just between now and the start of the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American Public. H.L. Mencken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bren Mayhugh
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister wrote:
Ok,

I'd admit that LCR is not a favorite game of mine but we sell 4 copies of it a day. So why is rated so low yet sells so much?

As it has been said, it is used by a lot of people in college for a great (and quick) drinking game. Also, as a side note, it works wonderfully for those who love gambling, but can't find a weekly poker game in their area.

Those being said (and I would say that's about 80-90% of the buys right there), the other 10-20% are games for gamers bought by non-gamers for Christmas/birthday gifts. You would be surprised how many times I have to be rude and ask a relative if they kept the receipt so I can take dog-poly, boggle or sequence back. I always get the same look, the shrug and the statement: "Well, I heard you like boardgames, so..."

-B

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Matusiak
United States
Farmingville
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrozenHoHos wrote:
Funny that someone already mentioned Dancing With The Stars. I'll provide my example anyway.

It's the same reason why Dancing With The Stars is continually in the top 10 of the weekly Neilsen ratings in the US while a show like Smith is cancelled after three episodes.

Incidentally, I refuse to get even remotely interested in a television show because it's the kiss of death. The last 3 shows that actually intrigued me didn't last a single season.

Smith
The Handler
Keen Eddie

No wonder I'd rather be gaming.

I liked Smith too. I had thought it got put on hold the first two weeks it wasn't on. Then I checked online and saw it was cancelled. I hate when they do that. I enjoyed Threshold also, but at leaat that lasted several episodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
jygro wrote:
Sinister wrote:
Ok,

As it has been said, it is used by a lot of people in college for a great (and quick) drinking game. Also, as a side note, it works wonderfully for those who love gambling, but can't find a weekly poker game in their area.

Those being said (and I would say that's about 80-90% of the buys right there), the other 10-20% are games for gamers bought by non-gamers for Christmas/birthday gifts. You would be surprised how many times I have to be rude and ask a relative if they kept the receipt so I can take dog-poly, boggle or sequence back. I always get the same look, the shrug and the statement: "Well, I heard you like boardgames, so..."

-B

Yes having ran more of mall store setup I get people say "You have the strangest boardgames. Where's life and monopoly?"

Most of the world doesn't understand the real boardgame movement. That's not suprising, they didn't understanding D&D for years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
I've heard just today...

"This game is the best game ever"

From about 5 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a game that I'd NEVER bring out to play at one of our Club sessions, but I would bring it to the bar or play it with family as a VERY light filler.

It's cheap... easy to teach... and gamers and non-gamers alike can play because it's ALL luck based.

One of the simplest games I've played in a LONG time... and with the right people at the right time with the right amount of alcohol, it can be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.