Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is being designed for the 2015 Two-Player PnP Game Design Contest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"This is astonishing!", the scientist said as he looked, perplexed, at the multicolored flame behind the security glass. He stroked his long beard nervously and added, "I've never seen anything burn like this... matter. It's almost unnatural. Like... hellfire."

"Well, I guess they don't call it 'Grimspark coal' for nothing", said the man in the black jacket from under his wide brim hat. "People tend to be amazed, even scared, when they see it bur. But let me tell you, it's going to usher in a new era of scientific progress. The society I work for has a couple of ideas already."

"Just imagine the possibilities!", exclaimed the old scientist, rubbing his hands on his lab coat. "The sheer power of the machines we could build! The more I look at it, the more I believe that my analysis falls short on several points. I should have been dreaming bigger!"

"Speaking of which, is the report in the dossier on the table?", asked curtly the man in the black jacket.

"Huh? Oh, yes, yes, do feel free to take it. My, my, I imagine every society will want to have a piece of the cake. Can you imagine the breakthroughs in transportation? In manufacturing? In..."

"Weaponry?", said the man in the black jacket. The old scientist turned around, confused, and then he realized that, for the first time since he entered the room, the man was smiling. He also realized that the man was holding a strange clockwork device pointed directly at his chest.

"Thank you, doctor. You've been of great use to us", said the man, and pulled the trigger that started a revolution.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Grimspark Societies is a 2P, fast-paced, card-based microgame of deception with a steampunk aesthetic. It consists of 16 cards and it plays in 5-10 minutes.

Every player starts the game with an "Intel" card and three other random cards drawn from the deck. The goal of the game is to steal the Intel of the opponent.

Every turn, you...

-May attack your opponent if you have a card in the reserve and choose to discard it.
-Draw a card.
-Decide whether to play a card OR place a card face-down in the Reserve.
-End your turn.

The Reserve can only hold one card, and storing cards in the Reserve is one of the few ways you have to attack your opponent.

Marking cards is another interesting mechanic. Whenever you mark one of your opponent's cards, you turn it around so your opponent is holding it facing you. This gives you an advantage on subsequent attacks, since it improves your chances of nabbing your opponent's Intel. Marked cards are also rendered innocuous - they can't be played or placed in the reserve.

========================================

I'm pleased to announce that The Grimspark Societies is contest-ready!

As you can see below, the game has received a full visual upgrade from the crude prototype that will hopefully make it a bit more appealing.

Here are the download links:

Cards:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRRUVOUW9HNHBURXc...

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6QEJ0uMUUXRMW80Zldyc1VQWlk...

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first drafts of the components and the rules are up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martin
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pleased to announce that The Grimspark Societies is contest-ready!

As you can see below, the game has received a full visual upgrade from the crude prototype that will hopefully make it a bit more appealing.

You can find the download links in the first post of the thread.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls