Subject: Casualty reduction question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Patton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am struggling with the ASL SK1. While for the most part I have been able to figure things out just by reading and rereading the manual (I'm assuming that these manuals are as they are simply to be a rite of passage into the ASL world) until I notice the crucial word I misread or missed.

Sadly, I am at a loss with casualty reduction. My specific confusion is: when a squad goes through casualty reduction and is reduced to a half squad, what does that mean? Do I just call it a HS from now on, and know that the next time it takes a casualty it is killed? The rules only state that it becomes a HS, yet the Prep Fire sample seems to indicate that when a full squad becomes half squad, there is some sort of actual counter change and loss of force / statistics. But I can't find anywhere that explains this rule if it is one, and how to apply it.

Also, when does a Pinned counter come off of a unit? 3.2.1 seems to imply that a unit which fails a PTC is only pinned for a turn, but is not clear. Is the effect of pinned retroactive? The rule says the unit can't move in the turn, but they could easily have already moved. I've been assuming it means move further, but the manual is so literal in general I thought I'd check.

Please, if anyone can answer at least the first question I'd be very grateful, I can't get through even a turn of this game because I can't resolve any sort of combat.

Thanks! Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For casualty reduction, replace the squad with the appropriate HS counter (on the back of the rulebook is a diagram showing all of the squads with their representative HSs...you will also use that diagram to determine what counter to use when a unit ELRs).

For pinned units, they may no longer move for that turn ("no longer" means they may have already moved some or all of their movement allowance). A pinned unit cannot advance, either (for that is also movement). Broken units cannot be pinned (think of it as their overriding sense of self-preservation kicking in...so they are prepared to run rather than stay hunkered-down), and a pinned unit that becomes broken will have the pinned marker removed (and a DM marker placed on it). All pinned markers are removed at the end of the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven richard
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Full Squads have three soldiers represented (i.e. 6-6-6) while the half-squads have only two (i.e. 3-4-6). Hence, when a full squad is reduced to a half squad, remove the 6-6-6 and replace it with a 3-4-6, for example. Which counter switches to which depends on the type of unit (E, 1, 2, G, etc...) and a handy chart for this is on the back of the rule book (the Nationality Chart).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Patton
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies, I believe I understand better now. I had seen the chart on the back of course, I assumed it was just describing the various units, there was no mention of any relationship between the units shown. And for the pinned question, thanks for clarifying. The manual says "during that turn they may not move", and I was just making sure I had the right interpretation of that.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Swan
Australia
Randwick
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome, Rob! It does take a while to internalise the ASL SK rules and TLAs, but once you get over the hump, it's a lot better.

rpatton wrote:
Also, when does a Pinned counter come off of a unit? 3.2.1 seems to imply that a unit which fails a PTC is only pinned for a turn, but is not clear.

From the SK#1 RB, page 10, end of section 3.8:

"Remove all Pin counters at the end of the CCPh."

Also, as Sgt Moody said, the Nationality Chart serves two purposes:

1. Casualty reduction: shows you which HS a squad would become if reduced, e.g. a German 5-4-8 (E) becomes a 2-3-8 (E); this is worked out by finding which HS is in the same row and column of the HS table that the original squad was in in its own table (I don't feel I've explained this very well, but if you check my example, you should get it).

2. ELR: shows you which crappier squad a squad will become when it suffers ELR, e.g. our friend the 5-4-8 (E) would become a 4-4-7 (2) if he ELRed; just follow the diamonds in the chart one column to the right (it would have been clearer if they'd used arrows pointing right instead of diamonds).

N.B. both these effects can happen at once: if our 5-4-8 rolls a 12 on an MC and if this is enough to invoke ELR (taking all modifiers into account), he will:
- break and have a DM counter placed on him (because he failed the MC)
- be ELR'ed down to a 4-4-7 (2) (because ELR applied)
- the 4-4-7 (2) will then be casualty reduced to a 2-3-7 (2) because of the original 12 on the MC DR.

HTH,

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: Phases are color coded in the rules. The colors of the various status counters match the phase AFTER WHICH they are removed.

desperation morale AFTER rally phase
residual fire AFTER movement phase
first-, subsequent first-, final-fire AFTER defensive fire phase
prep fire AFTER advancing fire phase
pinned AFTER close combat phase

etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.