Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Amerigo» Forums » Variants

Subject: Use diagonal connection of islands as "Canals" and pay a "Toll" to cross rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I'm a meeple person!
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem:

The rule forbidding diagonal island connection limits considerably the amount of possible map configurations and reduces their randomness. And not to mention the hassle of replacing and rotating the tiles again and again until no diagonal connections remain.

The solution:

Lets turn this bug into a feature. Allow diagonal island connections and treat these connections as Canals. These Canals can be used as a shortcut, that allows a ship to cross to the other side, after paying a Toll to the Canal Owner (like the Panama Canal). The Canal Owner is the player that built a village tile (not a landscape tile) in one of the land spaces adjacent to the Canal. The Canal Owner can use his own Canal for Free.

More details and cases:

1. Two islands connected by a Canal are always two different islands.

2. If there is no Canal Owner, the Toll goes to the Bank (i.e. The payer loses the gold but no other player gains it).

3. If two different players build village tile adjacent to the Canal (i.e. on both sides), they share ownership of the Canal. Both can use it for Free.

4. The movement cost of crossing a Canal is 2 sailing (blue) action points (APs) . This is reasonable since it would always require 2 movements to move to a diagonal space in the ocean.

5. The Toll for using a Canal is 2 gold. This is reasonable since usually it would take a ship multiple turns and lots of blue APs to go around an island in order to get to the other side.

6. If the Canal connects two Big islands (with treasure chests), then the Toll is 4 gold. This is reasonable since the traveling distance around a big island is much bigger than around a small island.

7. If a Canal ownership is shared between two players, they split the gold equally.

8. The Canal Owner can give a discount, if he wishes, to all or specific players, in order to attract more clients to use his Canal, or to gain some benefit in return. For example, two players owning different Canals can agree to allow free passage to each other. If one Canal has two owners they must agree on any discount given.

9. The Canal Owner may not increase the Toll above the original price or refuse passage to other players that are willing to pay.

10. In the rare cases of Lakes (a closed body of water accessible only by Canals), the Toll is 4 gold to enter a Lake and 2 gold to exit a Lake. If you exit from the exact same Canal you entered from, then there is no exit fee.

Closed Lakes:

There is an extremely small chance that a Closed Lake (a Lake with no Canals) would form in the middle of a gigantic island during setup. Here are some options:

A. Open the Closed Lake by rotating one of the tiles. A single Canal is enough to allow entrance.

B. Keep the Closed Lake but don't use it (i.e. it is a non-accessible area of the map, much like the volcano is, in the first mini expansion).

C. Keep the Closed Lake and allow players to build a Shipyard on one of the trading post spaces on the lake's shore. The Shipyard (which is not a trading post and does not grant VPs when completing the island) can be used to build new ships inside the Closed Lake. In order to build the Shipyard the player must be able to build on that trading post space according the normal game rules (i.e. build village or landscape tiles connecting the one of your trading posts). The cost of the Shipyard is 6 building (green) APs (use gold if necessary). The cost of each new ship is also 6 green APs. The new ship spawns in any water space adjacent to the Shipyard. Use custom markers for the Shipyard and the ships. Ships inside closed lakes can never exit to the ocean.

These variants are not tested, and I would love to hear your thoughts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think this is brilliant, as it solves a problem using the theme of the game as it's only tool.

To simplify, I would perhaps say that the cost could be covered by AP:s. So if player A has 5 AP:s to sail with, he may use 3 of them to go through a canal that belongs to Player B and C. One to move, and two as toll. They then get one of them each, converted to gold. This allows player without gold to use them more frequently.

When not built, you still pay 3 (to no-one) wich translates to the canal being rough to sail through as it has not been dug out properly by anyone yet.

I don't think you should get more for large islands as this would make them even more attractive then they already are.

I like the Lake idea, but maybe it's a bit to intricate for new players. I think I'd rather play it as a swamp, that requires to overlapping tiles to be considered built. That also balances it a bit.

Good work, have you tried it out since?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a meeple person!
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ripcordian wrote:
I think this is brilliant, as it solves a problem using the theme of the game as it's only tool.
Thanks

Ripcordian wrote:
To simplify, I would perhaps say that the cost could be covered by AP:s. So if player A has 5 AP:s to sail with, he may use 3 of them to go through a canal that belongs to Player B and C. One to move, and two as toll. They then get one of them each, converted to gold. This allows player without gold to use them more frequently.

When not built, you still pay 3 (to no-one) which translates to the canal being rough to sail through as it has not been dug out properly by anyone yet.
Good idea!

Ripcordian wrote:
I don't think you should get more for large islands as this would make them even more attractive then they already are.
I'm not sure about this, but you do have a point.

Ripcordian wrote:
I like the Lake idea, but maybe it's a bit to intricate for new players.
When playing with new players I think it's better to use the official setup rules. An untested variant might cause a new player to dislike the game altogether.

Ripcordian wrote:
I think I'd rather play it as a swamp, that requires to overlapping tiles to be considered built. That also balances it a bit.
Can you elaborate on that?

Ripcordian wrote:
Good work, have you tried it out since?
Unfortunately no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rickard Örtegren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Idanonstop wrote:
Ripcordian wrote:
I think I'd rather play it as a swamp, that requires to overlapping tiles to be considered built. That also balances it a bit.
Can you elaborate on that?

Yeah, no you're probably right. When I read it at first I thought of small bodys of water, perhaps two or three squares in total. I thought it might be cool to be able to lay double landscape-tiles over it, as a sort of terraforming. And then consider the squares as being part of the island for small/big island counting purposes.

But when I tried out different layouts of tiles, I see now you probably mean larger areas of water, i think your solution is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.