GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Rules

Subject: Prey on Doubt Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if the subversive tactics deck card "Prey on Doubt" can be used on Rebel Allies?

And if so, since allies cannot take strain, presumably the only option they get is to give away a free evade to the target of their attack?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Allies are rebel figures, so yes, you can activate it. While allies can not have strain due to not having endurance, any strain suffered is converted to damage. The rebels players may thus choose either option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. So unlike heroes there is no limit on an allies choice of whether to take strain.

There goes my plan to use "Anti-Ally" Nexu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with Pasi on this one. An ally cannot voluntarily suffer strain. Thus, an ally should not be able to choose to suffer strain for Prey on Doubt.

These definitions of 'choice' and 'voluntarily' are consistent with other FFG games, such as Eldritch Horror.

Consider also a mythical ability that allowed a target to choose to become Stunned or suffer damage. If the target were already Stunned, they surely must choose to take the damage. In a similar way, the ally target must choose to take the evade option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Clipper. No Endurance (left/at all) = no voluntary strain.

- Kez.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch Kez, I agree that a hero that has suffered strain equal to their Endurance would need to choose the evade option too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the RRG should read:
A figure can not choose to suffer Strain if the amount of Strain he has suffered would exceed his Endurance.

(Instead of Hero.)

I think that selecting strain as one of the choices is not voluntarily taking strain (maybe not even for a hero figure, but being not able has more support from the RRG). It is selecting which kind of handicap you are taking for the attack.

The strain is a consequence, not a cost that you need to pay.

I consider the choice between the bad and worse akin to any other choice (like in other FFG games), where you can choose an option even if you can't fulfill it completely.

(Fortunately/unfortunately the choose to encompasses both choice as a cost and choice between forced consequences.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
... I think that selecting strain as one of the choices is not voluntarily taking strain (maybe not even for a hero figure, but being not able has more support from the RRG). It is selecting which kind of handicap you are taking for the attack.

The strain is a consequence, not a cost that you need to pay.

It's an interesting point and certainly seems a valid way of looking at it.

I personally prefer the interpretation that
- Heroes cannot voluntarily take strain over their endurance and therefore may be forced to give away the free evade

because otherwise "Prey on Doubt" appears to be a much weaker card than e.g. the Military Might equivalent "Show of Force".

A Hero who only ever chooses to take 1 damage/strain per round seems to be in a much better position than one receiving a focused attack each round. The green dice doesn't just give damage and accuracy but more significantly may give surges. Not to mention "Show of Force" is often the critical difference allowing the Imperial Player to wound a Hero before they can rest.

That a Hero can potentially be forced to give away the evade (opening up a lot of tactical options for the Imperial Player) helps keep "Prey on Doubt" on par with "Show of Force."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regarding Allies the only relevant rule I could find is:
- Allies taking strain take one damage instead

The rules seem to be silent on allies choosing to take strain.

May I ask e.g. Clipper and Kez to explain further their thinking around allies not being able to voluntarily take strain? We can infer from the rule for Heroes but there doesn't seem to be an explicit rule for it.

The surges for most allies are powerful, so it's probably detrimental for an Ally to have to give away an Evade. It's additionally bad versus a Nexu owing to its Cunning ability.

On the other hand, most Subversive tactics cards can only be used on Heroes, so perhaps it balances out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RRG pg. 23 - Strain wrote:

* A hero cannot choose to suffer [Strain] if the amount of [Strain] he has suffered would exceed his Endurance. This includes suffering [Strain] to gain movement points or using abilities with a [Strain] cost.

This thus also covers choosing to suffer Strain from Prey Upon Doubt. "...The Rebel figure chooses to either suffer 1 [Strain], or apply +1 [Evade] to the defense results."

But yes, it does not separately mention allies. But I'll rule in my games the same principle applies. Allies not being mentioned in Strain rules is most likely due to them not usually having an option to voluntarily take Strain - Prey Upon Doubt unfortunately breaks this "rule".

So, to paraphrase: Prey Upon Doubt lets you choose between taking 1 strain or giving 1 evade, and you cannot choose the former if your Endurance doesn't allow it.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit it is not explicitly codified in the rules, especially as the relevant sentence only mentions heroes. But it seems like common sense that the same rule would apply to allies.

Thus, I think it's perfectly acceptable to play either way, until we get the next FAQ from FFG addressing the point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is of course possible that FFG deliberately used the word Choose in Prey on Doubt to cover the strain case. (Although, what other word could you use for choosing..)

The card's purpose really is to punish heroes who have too much strain. If they don't, the card can be used to deal them some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on that part that its purpose is to punish heroes with too much Strain. +1 damage isn't much of a punishment, though. Having to apply +1 Evade as you don't have a strain available, on the other hand, is.

- Kez.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked by Jacenat of the FFG forums

Quote:
Hi Stephan,

The restriction on optionally suffering strain is only on heroes who have maxed out their Endurance stat so an ally could choose to suffer the strain for Prey Upon Doubt and take it as damage.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reserved 89
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting that.

It makes sense (apart from fitting the rules) because 1 damage for an Ally is much more significant than for a Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.