GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,336 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Giant Robot - Clarify usage please. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Giant Robot can use 1 Alien Menace Token to prevent himself from being destroyed or to add +1 Strength to himself until the end of the current Fight.

I can only ever see using the Strength option if it is to win the fight (assuming no Crushing Victory from either side), in which case this would always be during Fight round one of the Fight (assuming no Crushing Victory ties).

All other times, would use the prevent destroy option. So on Fight round one and you lose, select this option, don't lose any aliens and start Fight round two. If you lose again, Giant Robot is still protected, so lose no Aliens and start Fight round three etc.

Have I got this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
...So on Fight round one and you lose, select this option, don't lose any aliens and start Fight round two....

Why do you not lose any aliens if you lose the fight? The Giant Robot can only save itself. It would only be in jeopardy if it was the last alien in the fight, others can still be destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking, when you lose a fight round, an Alien is destroyed, so if you target the Robot, he would prevent his destruction. So each loss, you would target the Robot. The Robot is like a tank sucking up all the hits and the Humans would target it as it would be the biggest threat.

But, reading what you have said, only if he was last Alien in the fight can he protect himself makes a lot more sense.

Only played the Robot for the first time towards the end of the game last night, luckily only used the prevention ability when he was by himself anyway. Afterwards got to thinking about it and obviously confused myself!

Thank you for clearing that up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil DeKoning
United States
Bozeman
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(I'm far from an expert in this, but I'll take a shot anyway.)

My understanding of the rules is that, assuming a loss, you can target anything of yours you want. Yes, this means that, if you've got the Alien Menace Tokens to shield the Giant Robot, he is effectively invulnerable. Therefore, so is the rest of your force.

If you were fighting a Barrage weapon or getting shelled by something in another space, then hits are rolled against each individual unit and the robot couldn't "choose" to take the hits.

Under Allies, the rules say that "Ally aliens count as one of your aliens in every way," (pg 15) with an exception for powers that your race has. And, as far as I can see, it doesn't say anything about priority in losses for ships, allies, or anything else.

Worst case, randomize which ship takes the hit and, if it's the robot, shield it if you want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BozemanPhil wrote:
(I'm far from an expert in this, but I'll take a shot anyway.)

My understanding of the rules is that, assuming a loss, you can target anything of yours you want. Yes, this means that, if you've got the Alien Menace Tokens to shield the Giant Robot, he is effectively invulnerable. Therefore, so is the rest of your force.

If you were fighting a Barrage weapon or getting shelled by something in another space, then hits are rolled against each individual unit and the robot couldn't "choose" to take the hits.

Under Allies, the rules say that "Ally aliens count as one of your aliens in every way," (pg 15) with an exception for powers that your race has. And, as far as I can see, it doesn't say anything about priority in losses for ships, allies, or anything else.

Worst case, randomize which ship takes the hit and, if it's the robot, shield it if you want to.

I suppose you could play it this way. It's a matter of taste perhaps. Sure seems like no fun to me. It would be over-powered pointlessly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, now that I think about it more, the choosing method of targeting the robot takes all the fun out as you would just keep rolling until you won that Fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another question popped with the Giant Robot in out latest game.

As already established, you can spend multiple tokens unless a limit is specified. So, could you say for example, during a Fight, use 3 Tokens to give the Robot +3 Strength? I think yes, at least at this point

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Droideka_D84 wrote:
Yet another question popped with the Giant Robot in out latest game.

As already established, you can spend multiple tokens unless a limit is specified. So, could you say for example, during a Fight, use 3 Tokens to give the Robot +3 Strength? I think yes, at least at this point

I agree. That would be unlimited since it doesn't state a specific limitation. Compare to Taskmater Kol, for example, where it states "Limit once per turn."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I think I am finally getting a grasp on the "language" of these cards now. Played 3 co-op games last night, won the 1st with one game round to go, lost the 2nd by a couple of TP and was totally decimated in the 3rd. But did not play the Giant Robot with the multiple strength in the 3rd....that may have changed things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.