Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: rpg [+] [View All]
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
This is not a trick attack on Eurogamers or anything. I'm very curious though how many people who considered themselves Eurogamers role play.

Please answer yes or no.

Table Top Role Playing or Larping

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Leventhal
United States
Unspecified
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Yes - Table Top.

No - Larping

Why are you curious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a eurogamer, and I also play RPGs.

Of course, I also consider myself a wargamer, an american gamer, a sci-fi gamer, an abstract gamer, a historical gamer, a simulation gamer, a puzzle gamer, a dexterity gamer, and a card gamer (and a few more that I have merely overlooked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Every euro gamer I know personally (not on the net) is a big RPG fan. Many realling like LARPS. Weird huh? or not just thought I'd put it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Esarel wrote:
Yes - Table Top.

No - Larping

Why are you curious?

At this point I don't want to say why as it might skew the outcome. But thanks for the responses. When we get a good sampling I'll explain my theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPG's actually led to my Eurogaming.

My game group started as an RPG group, moved on to Herclix, and then Eurogames.

I consider myself a RPG player, but I haven't actually played them for a few years. More of a lifestyle issue than a loss of interest. I recently bought one for younger players, so i hope to get my kids into it soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until a few years ago, "gaming" to me WAS RPGs. The only time I played board games was when we didn't have enough people for a regular RPG session.

But I got tired of RPGs, and I noticed that I enjoyed and looked forward to the board gaming sessions than I did the RPG sessions. In particular, I seemed to get tired of elves and fantasy long before anyone else in the group did. Eventually I just put RPGing aside and went wholly into boardgames.

That was about two years ago, and I don't really miss RPGs. I enjoyed them when I played them, but I think I'm kind of "done" with it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
I used to play rpgs mostly, but nowadays I prefer boardgames because they require much less preparation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sinister
United States
Unspecified
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Ok I need to change the question a little bit:

if you have role played but given it up, I need that info as well.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Interestingly, of all the types of games I play (card, CCG's, miniatures, CMG's, Euro, abstract strategy, wargames, racing, family, party, and even dexterity games) I have never had an interest in RPG, TTRPG, or LARP games. I did try D&D once or twice in college but it never really took off with me.

I'm curious to see where you're going with this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sinister wrote:
This is not a trick attack on Eurogamers or anything. I'm very curious though how many people who considered themselves Eurogamers role play.

Never.

Caveat: I will sometimes act as if I'm roleplaying in order to help me win, but this is a deliberate manipulation of the other players, not an attempt to assume a character or participate in a shared story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Sinister wrote:

Nope. I've played many so-called RPGs for years (ie MUDs in the early days of the Internet and the years before), but I never roleplayed in them. Simple min-maxing for the goal-bsed games and programming fun (ie social engineering) for the Tiny-* user-programmable games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I roleplayed actively for about ten years, and stopped only because I didn't have a group anymore. If I could find a group, I'd start again in an instant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Sinister wrote:

That's me. But sooner or later, I'll start again. I consider my RPG gaming as being in a (very long) hiatus.

EDIT: it was (and will be) always Table Top (zero LARP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Toups
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3.5 D&D and video games exclusively...until I found Ticket to Ride a couple months ago...
-Zach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Vogel
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. I've been playing RPGs for 30 years and expect to play them until I'm mentally incapable of doing so. As for type of role playing, entirely table top.

As a side note, much as I love playing board games, no board game or card game has ever come close to matching the fun and excitement of a good RPG adventure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even before Eurogames, table top RPGs were (as today) my 2nd choice behind boardgames. I have played RPGs (mostly D&D) off and on since AD&D 1st edition came out. I am not currently involved in an active RPG campaign, but I never made a decision to give up RPGs. I fully expect that I will RPG again at somepoint in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Olson
United States
Auburn
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I quit for 2 reasons...

1) Our game group messed around too much to get anywhere in an adventure. That's why I found Heroclix. We could laugh and talk and make fun of each other and still play.

2) Family. I work days, my wife works nights, and we hve 2 children. I host game night at my place a few times a month, and have no time to go play RPG's with anybody. Nobody in my current game group GM's. I am hoping with the newly bought Faery Tale, that I can GM with my wife, 8 yr old son, and 4 yr old daughter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Sinister wrote:

Please answer yes or no.

Table Top Role Playing or Larping

Thanks!

I have never played in an RPG. Primarily because no one has ever invited me to play. It's something that I think I would enjoy and be good at. Most of the others in my (primarily Euro) gaming group have played RPGs in the past, and several still do.

I suspect Eurogamers who participate in BGG forums are not representative of Eurogamers in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My shift to boardgames came about in part because RPGs were just too hard to continue past college. It was too hard to commit to a regular schedule that would continue for a year or two. Thus I switched over to boardgames because of their modular nature. You just come to that one game session and then your done, not need to commit to long sessions or a whole series of sessions.

However in the last year my wife and I discovered D&D Living Greyhawk, which solves the scheduling problem I had with RPGs. Because it's a "living" campaign I can do it as freqently as my schedule allows without impacting a dedicated home game of players. We've been busy the last couple of months and I haven't been able to play, but tomorrow we'll be going back for another session at our FLGS and the system easily allows us to jump back into the campaign.

LARP I tried once and never went back, horrifying experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hvogel wrote:

As a side note, much as I love playing board games, no board game or card game has ever come close to matching the fun and excitement of a good RPG adventure.

I have to agree with that. I've spent the last 10 years playing boardgames of all kinds trying to find something that is as engaging as RPGing. Boardgaming is fun, certainly a passion of mine, but it still doesn't go as far as an RPG in that "magic" quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Prysock
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During High School/College I was an avid RPG (Table Top) player. Then I transitioned into hex-n-counter wargames and stopped playing RPG games altogether. In the last two years I've gotten fairly heavily into Euros, but still love my wargames. Never had the urge to LARP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a GAMER. That, to me at least, means that at one time or other I have role-played, painted and played with miniatures, spent too many hours at my computer and stand-alone video game systems, and have purchased way to many CCGs.

That being said, in the past few years, I have pretty much restricted myself to board gaming, however I have been trying to get a group together at our Club Games Days to play TORG (which, in my opinion, is close to the perfect multi-genre RPG).

Our Club still has events in all types of games, from card games, to role-playing (including an ongoing LARP), to Warhammer Fantasy, 40K, and Ancients, as well as board gaming every month.

I don't think of myself as a "Board Gamer"... just a person who plays board games 85% of the time. I still keep my finger in RPGs and miniatures, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play RPGs. Indeed, one reason I dislike the pseudo-RPG style of American games is that if I'm going to roleplay I want to do the real thing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yollege wrote:
RPG's actually led to my Eurogaming.

My game group started as an RPG group, moved on to Herclix, and then Eurogames.

I consider myself a RPG player, but I haven't actually played them for a few years. More of a lifestyle issue than a loss of interest. I recently bought one for younger players, so i hope to get my kids into it soon.

I'm similar. I have roleplayed. I would roleplay again. However, board games take a lot less work, scratch many of the same itches a RPG session does, and my wife will participate in a board game night.

Yollege, Paul Tevis recently did a podcast on RPGs for kids. Have you listened to it? He talked about Faery's Tale and the Prince's Kingdom and despite my own child being only a week old, I found it pretty interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.