GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,336 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Wir sind das Volk!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stasi is founded (card #5) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, and if that's the case, please let me know where to find the answer.

In the event section of the Stasi is Founded card, there is a police power symbol. My understanding is that any card with this symbol in the top right which has been played as an event is given to the East player to use as a police power card for the rest of the game, but I couldn't find what this sumbol meant when it is in the event section of the card - does it provide a one-time police power when the event is played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
It is just the other way round:

The symbol in the event part of the card tells you to hand the card to East's open display when the card is played as an event. -- The symbol in the top right is just a repetition of the big one in the event part. And it is needed to calculate the flight from the republic (Is it red or pink?) -- It might also be useful when East wants to shift her collected cards together in order to save table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Fooled you!
badge
Click to edit.
mbmbmbmbmb
rsivel wrote:

The symbol in the event part of the card tells you to hand the card to East's open display when the card is played as an event. -- The symbol in the top right is just a repetition of the big one in the event part. And it is needed to calculate the flight from the republic (Is it red or pink?) -- It might also be useful when East wants to shift her collected cards together in order to save table space.

Ahh, okay got it. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
rsivel wrote:

Hi, Richard!

So why put it in the top right?. If I remember correctly, East only collects police cards, so at most they'll collect... 6?. So every card that East collects is a police card, no need to distinguish them from anything else.

Having the red police icon in the top right might make sense, since those are the ones you do count when calculating flight, but they also can confuse you if they are not in front of East: do they count when in the bottom or the board or not?. We had to re-read the rules to find out (and also decide if pink added flight or not).

In the end, in our admittedly only play, we felt that the top right police icons confused way more than what they helped. The way the iconography is now, it seemed to suggest that you added 1 flight for every red police in front of East (every decade until the disolution of Stasi), plus 1 flight for every police card (red or pink) at the bottom of the board (for just the current decade).

We felt that it would be much better to just have the flight icons top right and remove the police ones. Just adjust flight by the red police event icons in front on East and that should be it.

Thank you for a magnificent game, looking forward to a lot more plays and that rumored expansion.

Edit: Engrish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it's to save space: East puts the cards in a column where only the top edge is showing. So with the little icon there, you can (easily) see punk vs purple without having to spread all the cards out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
snoozefest wrote:
I assume it's to save space: East puts the cards in a column where only the top edge is showing. So with the little icon there, you can (easily) see punk vs purple without having to spread all the cards out.

Hmmm, I'm not convinced. Look at the sides, if you have space to put one card on your side, you will have space to put 4-6. Besides, it's easier to just have one blue cube per card than counting how many you have (in the end, of course).

If anything, it's the flight cards that always have a bit of the problem at the end of the decade, when you have to reshuffle a bit so they don't occupy that much space.

Sorry, everyone, I feel like I'm making a mountain out of nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
fiomtec wrote:

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
fiomtec wrote:

whistle

Will take that as a yes and let you all maintain your living standards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Hi fiomtec,

thank you for your feedback.

Quote:
In the end, in our admittedly only play, we felt that the top right police icons confused way more than what they helped. The way the iconography is now, it seemed to suggest that you added 1 flight for every red police in front of East (every decade until the disolution of Stasi), plus 1 flight for every police card (red or pink) at the bottom of the board (for just the current decade).

I have never thought of it that way, neither did any of these problems show up during play test. But, I understand that it can be interpreted that way...

There were several reasons to put the police icon top right. One was like Snooze pointed out:

Quote:

I am a big fan of minimizing table space, so this was one reason.

Another reason was that you can easily distinguish a police card in the open display. The icon top right makes them so special that they differ from the other cards immediately.

Furthermore, we wanted to show the similarity between flight cards and red police power cards: Basically, both add to the flight (although only the former do when laying in the bottom display). --- it is true, that with that rationale the pink police icon could have been deleted from top right. However, it did not feel good that only 1 police power card type has the icon top right, while the other has not.

I hope that helps,

and thank you very much for your nice words on the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fiomtec
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
Watcha looking at?
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer, Richard.

I can see your reasoning. Perhaps it's that it was our first play and it was a bit overwhelming, and all our energy went into correctly understanding east & west berlin, export, maintaining living standards, etc.

I'm sure that the next play (hope to get my friend to play again soon) will be easier for us and won't take another 5 hours, rules explanations included
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.