Mike Renegar
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a game in the works. I have most of the pieces, but I need a game board. I bought some of the prototype ones, but I need to get an idea of 2 things.

How much does it cost to print(commerically) the game boards in low runs?

and

How do you go about finding a good graphic artist with this kind(game board) of expirence?

I know there are alot of varibles, I am just looking for some base numbers if possible. Thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
you may have already done this but I recomend

make the board the cheapest and eaisest way possible ( I drawn on posterboard) and make sure the game works. Even if the game seems to be completly flawless keep trying to break it. Once it works make a slightly better copy by printing and sticking to an old board (us MS word, publisher or similar program). Then try to submit it. Unless you plan to self publish it don't worry about fancy graphics and professional looking boards. Most likey the publisher would change these anyway. The most important thing is to playtest over and over again, and then some more. Have people play weird and dumb strategies find out why the game doesen't work. It is a long process (note the absence of the designer badge from my username ) So now that I said that how much have you played it, by saying in the works I got the impression that it wasn't done yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebelminis wrote:
I have a game in the works. I have most of the pieces, but I need a game board. I bought some of the prototype ones, but I need to get an idea of 2 things.

The lowest price I've seen was $3.00/unit for a run of 1,000 20x20 inch posters; that's just the paper. For boards to mount 'em to, lowest price I've seen is $4.95 (from http://barebooks.com)

Quote:
and

How do you go about finding a good graphic artist with this kind(game board) of expirence?

I know there are alot of varibles, I am just looking for some base numbers if possible. Thanks for any help.

For sure, contact Mark Mahaffey (username West2). He's top end, though. Might also look here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/77177

Sure wish this one was pinned!

-Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ta-Te Wu
United States
ALHAMBRA
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rebelminis wrote:

and

I can help you design the board. Check the graphics I have done for my games ... http://tatewu.spaces.msn.com.

or www.key20.com > board game > then look for ...
Catch the Bingo, Sudoku Taisen and Wolf in Disguise.

I can also help you making your mount board, or even your entire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Von Cover
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Never done it myself (thereby confessing ignorance in the first sentence of this reply), but...

The creator of Viktory II (full disclosure: never met the guy, don't have the game, never played it) has documented his entire game creation process on his website at http://www.viktorygame.com/viktoryiihistory/. He writes about everything from getting the pieces made to working out the rules. You might find some insight there.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.