Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
The flurry of rules questions has been coming so furiously that I've almost been tempted to unsubscribe from this page (even as I still await my copy here in the Great White North) because it clogs up my feed if I'm off-line for more than 24 hours or so.

The list of rules questions is now up to six pages and the game has only been out a couple of weeks. So I'm trying to assess whether: (a) the rules contain an inexcusably high number of ambiguities; (b) a game of huge scope such as this one covering the entire European theatre at strategic level is simply going to have a lot of bugs to iron out; or (c) people are being somewhat lazy and not interpolating on relatively trivial issues by themselves.

Or maybe the game has generated a particularly high degree of interest from less experienced wargamers? What's going on here?

FWIW I have not had the motivation to start looking at the rules until my game comes in the mail, and I'll no doubt eventually be thankful to all the intrepid souls who started playing it out of the box and have contributed to the various errata, living rules and FAQs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rice
Scotland
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also been following the threads whilst awaiting the game.

As to which of the factors has caused the flood of rules queries,
I would say some of all of them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's all of them

it doesn't take more than half a second to click "read" or whatever on your subscriptions.

But if you really can't do that, unsubscribe. The questions are going to keep coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hatcher
msg tools
mb
Perhaps we will get a new Q&A soon from Columbia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Griffey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can safely ignore a rules thread with zero thumbs up. Such a thread probably deals with a trivial question. C) People aren't carefully reading the rules. It's possible too the game has attracted D)less experienced wargamers (not that there's anything wrong with that).

The rules are actually pretty tight, as most wargames go.

I would feel comfortable reading the rules once and diving into a game.

There are/were a few areas where the rules were problematic, but they have been dealt with here.

The biggest issues are:

5.7. Army Retreats. It turns out that all units, not just Armies, are subject to a one step left if they scoot rather than shoot in the first round. The rules for Air Retreats (6.4) and Naval Retreats (7.4) still apply to those types of units.

7.1 Sea Zones It appears Air units can no longer be used to attack vacant sea zones to cut Supply, so the bit about Air units retreating to base after the Supply Phase no longer applies.

USSR Neutrality Issues
The rules about USSR's ability to attack minor neutrals, and German rights to defend those neutrals while still abiding the terms of the Nazi-Soviet Pact, is a bit confused, including the matter of Finland. My contention:

--Neutral USSR may attack Minor Neutrals, which instantly become Axis Allies. Neutral Finland also becomes an Axis ally if attacked by Neutral USSR (contrary to Gazeteer entry on Soviet Union.)
--Neutral USSR may attack any Axis Ally as long as there is not a German unit in the area attacked. Neutral USSR attack on a German unit is a Declaration of War on Germany.
--Axis dispatch of a German unit to Axis ally Finland violates the Nazi-Soviet Pact, and amounts to a Declaration of War on USSR.

11.31 Build Factories. It turns out there's a further limitation than is mentioned here. No more than one Factory per turn may be built in a given Major City. The biggest impact of this will be on USA and USSR Factory build-up, as USA and Siberia are treated as one big super-area with one super-Major City each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ralph waldo
msg tools
John, Bill Powers, one of the original playtesters who has playtested the game for years replied to the "RON Can you verify the factory build rules?"
by indicating that there has never been a 1 factory pip per area limit, per turn, for building factories.

If you have heard differently from Ron Draker or the Columbia staff let us know. Grant did originally tell me over the phone (tentatively) that he thought there was a 1 pip per area limit, but Bill Powers assertion seems to trump this. Let me know if you have additional information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMother wrote:
You can safely ignore a rules thread with zero thumbs up. Such a thread probably deals with a trivial question.

I have recently given every zero-thumb rules thread on BGG a thumbs up so that it is now OK to read these threads. Just FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
msg tools
The rules are to my reading full of inconsistencies, things left unmentioned, or important rules mentioned only in a sidebar. I HATE having rules in sidebars - they should be for examples (and the Battle of Portsmith example is not in compliance with the RAW) and historical commentary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.