Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Collins
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just cracked open my copy of well of darkness, started to add and remove appropriate cards as directed by the instructions, and about half way through I noticed that the new expansion cards are slightly larger then the cards from the base game, at first I thought this wouldn’t be a problem, but when I tried to shuffle them, it is nearly impossible to get the cards to mix properly, the larger cards stay in bunches by themselves, and the smaller cards stay together too.

Has anyone else noticed this problem or is it just my copy. And has anyone heard if FF is aware of this and do they have a plan to fix this problem by either replacing the new or base game cards?

This really sucks!!!

~ Ed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been reported elsewhere. I would be surprised if FFG felt it was a big enough deal to reprint and replace every card in the expansion.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. For the price of that expansion, it seems a big deal to me that they didn't bother to make the cards the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like FFG is printing their own stuff. Maybe they should have rejected the final samples. Still, would you rather have the expansion delayed by 2 weeks while the cards are reprinted? Would you rather have the price increase as FFG scraps tens of thousands of cards because they're a half-millimeter too long?

I'm not saying we should excuse them totally, but I think the comment of 'they didn't bother to make the cards the same size' is unfair. Do you really think, out of all the things they did for the expansion, they intentionally decided to ignore that one detail?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
We will move from victims to survivors and conquer as we go.
mbmb
Two weeks? More like two months when you look at their production- and "on the boat"-times. yuk
Maybe they should reconsider having their games produced in China...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are diferent sizes? Ouch. That's a lost sale then - I was about to buy it when it arrived over here, but if the cards can't be shuffled together properly, it's a deal-breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
This is hardly the first time that FFG have failed to deliver matching components in their expansions. Take a look at Game of Thrones for instance, the base game and its two expansions are each produced using totally different materials! At least they got the cards vaguely the right size this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They did the same thing with Doom!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
shred121569 wrote:
I noticed that the new expansion cards are slightly larger then the cards from the base game, at first I thought this wouldn’t be a problem, but when I tried to shuffle them, it is nearly impossible to get the cards to mix properly, the larger cards stay in bunches by themselves, and the smaller cards stay together too.

Maybe one can use opaque card sleeves to solve the problem... or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
You can shuffle the cards together. I agree, cards of similar size tend to clump, but they can still be shuffled. I am annoyed with the card size issue too, but I do agree with the others, cards size difference or not, the expansion is worth it!!!

A couple options ways around the issue:

1) Shuffle the decks traditionally, but then as a last step for each deck, "shuffle" the deck by making several seperate piles (one card at a time until you get through the entire deck).

2) We just shuffle the decks traditionally, then when drawing a card, roll a die and count that many cards down putting the top cards on the bottom. Works fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Boll
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be using card sleeves for the overlord deck, its the only one that you actually have to shuffle mid game(and nicely enough, are the ones you handle the most in the game) the other ones you just have to make sure are shuffled well at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crusher Crancko
Spain
Granollers
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is that true? More people that has the same problem in his copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Moore
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Gotcha!
mbmbmbmbmb
Reality check here...the new cards are about 1mm longer than the older, if even 1mm. It's bare perceptible. There's no way that a player looking at the overlord's hand or deck could tell the difference. I can't see how this could affect game play in the slightest. This is no reason not to get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not an issue at all. The new cards are about a half mm 'taller' than the old cards, if that. You certainly can shuffle them in the traditional fashion if you make an effort at it. However, traditional shuffling sucks for genuine randomness (this coming from an old M:TG tourney player.) Try pile shuffling: deal out six separate piles and then re-pile them into one in a random order. Works much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Considering how much better the expansion cards are, why complain?

I don't have the first edition but the card quality for my GoT base game is far higher than that in the expansions. Regardless of that I would have preferred all components to match, or at least be the same size, even at a lower quality all round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the cards a different size on both dimensions? If not just turn the deck by 90 degrees before shuffling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I card sleeved all the OL cards to avoid the problem. Annoying, but in all honesty the OL cards were getting worn from use so I should card sleeve them anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanakor wrote:
Two weeks? More like two months when you look at their production- and "on the boat"-times. yuk
Maybe they should reconsider having their games produced in China...

Hey. Stop knocking on FFG. They have one of the best customer service around. A couple of months back, I wrote to inform them that my set of TI3 has a deformed dreadnought. The next day, I got an email reply from them that they will send me a replacement ship. The next week (I live in Malaysia) I got the ship in the mail, postdated to the day after I wrote them the email. thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
drew woodworth
United States
wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Well, it appears that only the earlier copies of Descent are affected by this. I bought my copy of the base game when it was released and the expansion cards are noticeably larger. However, my brother in law got his base game in the middle of last year. His cards are the same size as the expansion.

In any event, the problem is easily fixed with card sleaves for the OL deck. People considering this isssue a "deal breaker" will really be missing out on a great expansion. Sure, it's slightly annoying, but with such an easy fix, why deprive yourself the gameplay experience?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The different sizes make the new cards difficult to shuffle with the old, smaller ones.

So I spent some time today trimming the tops off of all the skill, treasure, and OL cards. Worked like a charm.

For anyone interested, all you need is some scissors with a long, sharp blade. Take about a dozen of the smaller cards (I suggest using the creature cards from the base game) and one of the new cards. Rest the top blade of the open scissors on top of the base created by the smaller cards and carefully clip off the top of the other card.

Didn't take too long to get all the cards done and now they shuffle fine.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.