Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Grose
United States
Olmsted Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On March 13 & 14, I was game master for Memoir'44 at the Cleveland Concoction. After setting up Sword Beach, I played a guest named John who won 5-3 as the Germans. No one stopped by for the next 2 hours. As I was packing to leave, two teenage girls stopped by. Ali is a 9th grader who likes history. Her 8th grade friend, Cassy, declared that she likes "strategy". I began to explain Sword Beach. Cassy had never heard of D-Day, but Ali reminded her that she will study it in History next year. Now I began to explain the units, starting with infantry. Cassy asked, "What is infantry?" An old grognard like myself is rarely asked this question!

Cassy and Ali began to play and remarked from the beginning how much they liked Memoir'44. They were a quick study on understanding the rules and their card play was good from the beginning. Upon explaining the importance of "cover", they quickly learned to put their units in forests or did not move units recklessly into the open. I was impressed. Cassy won 5-0 with the Germans. Ali and Cassy loved Memoir'44 and talked about how they wanted to buy it. They promised to return on Saturday.

On Saturday, I introduced an experienced gamer named JJ to Memoir'44. We played two games and he indicated an interest in coming to our weekly Memoir'44 game night at WarZone. Ali and Cassy stopped by and assured me that they would come back later. I said I had a surprise for them.

When Ali and Cassy came back, I had them play Pegasus Bridge and Cassy read the historical background for us. Ali won as the Allies 4-0. They then played Sainte Mere-Eglise and although Ali had a very bad drop, the game was very even. Unfortunately, they had to go before finishing. Ali remarked to Cassy that "We've got to get this game!" The last few turns I wasn't helping them and they did fine.

When they were ready to go, I announced that the surprise was that they could take home my almost new 2nd Memoir'44 game. They were very excited. Cassy said to Ali, "Now it will not be so boring when I come to your house!" Priceless. As they were leaving to go, they started negotiating who will keep the game and it was agreed that that they would exchange the game every month. "One month at my house, the next at yours." They thanked me again and left. If I had two games, I would have given them both one. What a great weekend!

• [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time writing how happy your story made me. That you would take the time--no, make the time, since you were getting ready to go--to teach the game to those girls pleasantly surprised me. Then it turns out you gave them the game? That was just wonderful.

I'm pretty sure that the reason I'm so pleased is that the target of your proselytizing wasn't just another adult gamer, but teenage girls. I've got a daughter myself, and even at three years-old my wife and I can see how her interests and preferences are being shaped by forces outside of our control. It's so nice to hear that these girls were open-minded enough to go after something that they thought they might enjoy, and that you were open-minded enough to help them find it.

That is just about the best thing I've read on this site in a while, and I'm sure it'll stay the best thing for a while longer.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, very nice story all around. 3-cheers for you and the 2 awesome teenagers. And a weekly M'44 night! Out of sight! I like playing online, but in person is even better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grose
United States
Olmsted Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow-up to Cassy and Ali's visit at the Cleveland Concoction, they purchased the Memoir 44 strategy guide and told the store owner that they might come up and play with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.