Subject: 1835 Unit 3 - Starting city for N.B.R? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules Table states that the starting station for NBR is Edinburgh, yet the board indicates (white circle with NBR in it) that the starting town is Glasgow.
Did I miss something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have the rules here, but it's definitely Glasgow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amelia Tharme
United Kingdom
Eastbourne
flag msg tools
mbmb
http://www.fwtwr.com/store/1825003.asp

I found the errata mentioned now. The 3 main companies start in Glasgow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

May I ask another? If I buy NBR in the beginning of the game, the rules state that a route must start and finish with a Large town, which indicates that NBR cannot run any trains until a 3 train is available and bought - in which case, there is no point buying NBR shares in the beginning of the game. Is that correct?

Sorry...it's my 1st run-through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can run two 2-trains together as one 3-train... which NBR will generally be doing right at the start. (Rule 4.5.5)

So, NBR will generally build up to Perth and buy two 2-trains, and then run them together as a 3-train Glasgow to Perth.

If you have more questions, go ahead and ask - me and tinykitty used to play this game lots!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent - thanks. I did actually figure it out a while after I posted...am now playing quite smoothly but if something comes up will post ya!

Actually there is one thing...is it really possible that a one-town hex can be promoted to a two-white-circle green hex?

Thanks ever so much for your help!!

Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible in 1825. (Some other 18xx games don't allow towns to upgrade to cities... but 1825 does.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again....have got thru the game and had a lot of fun. Now I need to play it again, quick!

Did someone mention PBEM? Is that with graphics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For PBEM, I would recommend "For Whom the Web Rocks" ( http://www.fwtwr.com/fwtwr/index.asp ), which has 1825 as well as a few other 18xx games. There is a small fee for playing in a game, but you get graphical map and such, and a dedicated moderator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.