Tal der Abenteuer: Die Schatzsuche im Himalaja» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on gems and spaces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Sim
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
We played this light, fun game recently, and had quite a blast, playing three games in a row! We had however a couple of questions:

Gems - Are the gems of limited supply, or are they suppose to be unlimited? We ran out of gems quickly in one game because several gem counters occured very early in the track (side 1), so all players simply moved every adventurer onto the space to receive one gem. We ran out of gems by the time the second board was played.

Spaces - Is each space limited to 1 adventurer or can they share a single space?

Much appreciate any help!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Bleasdale
United Kingdom
Windsor
Berkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I was involved in the design of this game, and can confirm that there are supposed to be an effectively infinite number of gems. I'm also pretty sure that adventurers are supposed to be able to share spaces; however it's been some time since it was put together so I can't tell you that for certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally played this after buying it second-hand several years ago. We, too, had issues with the ambiguity of these rules.

We also ran out of gems fairly quickly, and had trouble coming to a consensus: when the Gems run out, are you out of luck, or do you get to simply take a Gem from whoever has the most? In the end, we all gave up 1 Gem from our collections whenever the gem reserve ran out. But these things need to be clear in the written rules!

The second issue for us was also the spaces, as the rules don't specify if only one adventurer can occupy a space at a time. We played that they could, but later wondered if that was correct, as we often had 3-4 adventurers on a gem space, and it usually took most of our hand cards to complete a round, which meant very little points for the positions of the adventurers. If I played the game again, I would not count occupied spaces in movement. An adventurer simply skips any spaces occupied by others, thus allowing some to advance quicker (but possibly missing the valuable tiles) and giving the players more cards to score at the end of the round.

And I would play with the "stealing gems" rule, since there is a limited supply. Unless I'm playing with my wife

All in all, not a bad game, but really just an expanded version of Knizia's simpler "Honeybears" with the same "having to sacrifice a card in a color to make that color more valuable."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the half-official answer by Christopher Dearlove and the rules originally submitted to Hasbro,
- you don't have an infinite number of jewels. You collect jewels as long as there are jewels available.
- there can be any number of adventurers on the same space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
According to the half-official answer by Christopher Dearlove and the rules originally submitted to Hasbro,
- you don't have an infinite number of jewels. You collect jewels as long as there are jewels available.
- there can be any number of adventurers on the same space.

Unofficial I said, I haven't discussed with anyone. And I also hadn't seen Sebastian's comments above on gems, and Sebastian's credentials ate the best. But then (as I noted) there's a terminology problem between what I have and the official rules - what's limited on the rules I have are artefacts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.