Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
It occurred to me that I don't actually have a copy of Monopoly. I have in the past. I actually used to have a really nice wooden edition in a sweet box. Didn't make the game any better, but it was really nice to look at. whistle

This realization made me think. Monopoly is, supposedly, ubiquitous. You hear about well-meaning friends and family buying themed copies of it as gifts all the time.

But I'm curious how many copies of it BGGers actually have access to, right now.

For the purpose of this poll, only copies in your primary home count. Not copies in storage, your parents' basement (unless that is your home), or your lakeside cabin's rec room. And certainly not copies that you own hypothetically but you haven't seen since you moved...

Poll
How many copies of Monopoly (any theme, including knockoffs) are in your home right now?
3-5
6+
      736 answers
Poll created by Asmor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Star War monopoly and and some copy I've owned since the 70's(My mom has given me all the my childhood boardgames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GeekGold...
badge
...and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
One. And if I ever need the room, buh-bye.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Monopoly Junior count? If so then 1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Need More Coffee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Monopoly City at a thrift store for $1.99. It's interesting because of all the different building miniatures it has so you can get all simcity with it. I originally got it to use the buildings for Battletech scenery but it's actually a pretty tolerable game as far as Monopoly goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Black Bart
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly Deal Card Game and Monopoly Express Dice Game

Fine little games and no complaints about time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:
I got Monopoly City at a thrift store for $1.99. It's interesting because of all the different building miniatures it has so you can get all simcity with it. I originally got it to use the buildings for Battletech scenery but it's actually a pretty tolerable game as far as Monopoly goes.

I've also ghouled Monopoly City, U-Build Monopoly, and Monopoly: Tropical Tycoon DVD Game for the plastic buildings.

People have done some neat stuff with Monopoly buildings - check out this OGRE layout:

As for actual games, all I have is (the very fun) Monopoly Deal Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Jacobson

Omaha
Nebraska - NE
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Star Wars Monopoly. I don't think I ever enjoyed the game that much even though my family always used to play it. I like Star Wars though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old 90's deluxe edition with "gold" tokens, wooden houses & hotels and 2 sets of money, so you never run out. I also have the Stock Market Expansion. I play it once and a while wth the kids, tryng to warm them up to gaming and eventually the better games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kratochwill
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I need to change this now that it's not football season.
badge
Almond crusted halibut, lemon crown, thin sliced radishes, parsley
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: Powerpuff Girls is where it's at. Saving the world before bed time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put 1 but I'll be honest and say that I'm not even sure that answer is correct.

Hidden away in a separate cupboard is an old and tatty copy of Monopoly that belongs to my wife. I have never actually opened the box so I don't even know if all the components are there. I have no idea where she got it from as it suddenly appeared one day after we got married and moved into our own home (and it looked old and tatty even then). I have no real interest in Monopoly so didn't ask her about it - she has also never mentioned it in all the years I have known her. I don't store it with any of my own games and I strongly suspect that my wife has long forgotten about it.

Also worth mentioning that I don't particularly hate the game. I just don't have any real interest in playing it anymore (used to play it a lot as a kid).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
Also worth mentioning that I don't particularly hate the game. I just don't have any real interest in playing it anymore (used to play it a lot as a kid).

Barring the 'house rules' that have most kids playing the game wrong (as in, everyone I've ever known including myself):
- Get rid of free parking money
- Make sure to auction off properties immediately if nobody buys them
- MORTGAGE RULES

...it's actually not a bad game. Certainly not a great game, but most people pan it as a result of remembering the overly-simplified version they played as a kid, which really IS pretty dreadful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 1 at home right now, but somewhere in a closet or a box are at least 2 more....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Party Hats wrote:

Oh man, I've been looking for something to pimp out King of New York and that looks perfect! Shame it appears to be out of print and really expensive. >_>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chip Gunnell
United States
Lilburn
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err... Does Deal actually count as well? Then it's 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars
Monopoly City (The buildings are nice)
Monopoly Deal (My wife likes it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Hockin
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Two too many. Which is two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Jokemeister wrote:

Barring the 'house rules' that have most kids playing the game wrong (as in, everyone I've ever known including myself):
- Get rid of free parking money
- Make sure to auction off properties immediately if nobody buys them
- MORTGAGE RULES

...it's actually not a bad game. Certainly not a great game, but most people pan it as a result of remembering the overly-simplified version they played as a kid, which really IS pretty dreadful.

Oh yeah, just like literally everyone else (at least, that's what it feels like), I played with the same "house rules". What's fascinating with Monopoly is how pervasive these house rules are especially when you consider that they seem to have crossed international boundaries without any issues!

Anyway, unlike some, I also don't hate the game. I have lots of fond memories of playing this game as a kid especially as I didn't have the ability to discriminate against good or bad game design at the time (and I certainly had the spare time to play with the incorrect house rules!). It was one of the rare occasions I had as a kid to spend time with my parents in a fun activity together. The biggest laugh I get when thinking of Monopoly is how my brother threw a massive hissy fit and stomped all over the "Move to Mayfair" card which cost him the game. That card was marked forever more.

The main reason I'm not interested in the game anymore is simply because I've already played the game a ton. Granted, all of my plays were with the wrong ruleset but the idea of playing Monopoly now just doesn't hold much appeal to me - particularly when I think about all the great games which I own (and don't own yet) which I could be playing instead.

With all that said, if my wife or kids ever wanted to play - I would absolutely play with them. Family time is much more important to than the specific game I am playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great question! meeple

mb The classic, plain white square box. Somehow I think that box should belong to every collection ...
mb I own the one from my childhood - Austria.
mb My wife has the one with the federal state of her birth - Lower Austria
mb I have one, where the money is a facsimile of our old currency, the Schilling.
mb I own a New Orleans Monopoly, which I bought there as a souvenir.
mb I got a Perry Rhodan Monopoly as a gift in Essen.

Looking at the list, I'd say I have too many! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
What's fascinating with Monopoly is how pervasive these house rules are especially when you consider that they seem to have crossed international boundaries without any issues!

I had no idea they had - wow! Certainly, I've lived in a lot of the US, and from coast to coast here, pretty much every person I've met has always played with that 'Free Parking' cash pile (amongst other oddities).

I wonder where the heck that idea came from? Did the game show up on some TV show or something, with the characters playing it wrong in that way? Did some well-meaning-but-clueless magazine columnist suggest it as a way to reduce the impact of player elimination in the game (which it obviously doesn't)??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have Monopoly: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition. It never gets played but it's too cool-looking to get rid of, so on the shelf it stays.

Oops - didn't realize Monopoly Deal Card Game counted either. Then I have 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wünsche
Germany
Minfeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: Alan Turing Edition

Only this one, only because i am a software engineer, only for the geek factor.... will never play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Monopoly Deal, which I enjoy
the Deluxe edition from the 90's
A newer version with the "speed die"
Monopoly City (which is awful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Um, I think its one, but forget me, I want to hear from the 7 prople who own 6 or more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A copy the kids play.
A new-in-shrink copy someone received as a gift (which I should give away, but I just can't bring myself to do it).
A Seinfeld copy that my wife picked up.
A copy of Monopoly Deal, which gets enthusiastic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.