8 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions regarding rule-details rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy this game very much, however there are a few things I quite don't know how to play.

Is there a rule in the rulebook that says you reset your damage/grit after town and before the adventure? We play that you take over damage/sanity wounds from the town. Perhaps you can point me to a specific page of the rulebook that supports your perspective on this.

Is it true that 1hit=d6 damage, because I think it's just 1 damage you can use your defense to block.

Slashers (or their otherworld counterpart) have the elite ability to target the one with the most darkstone first. Does this mean all 3 slashers target the same hero? or just that the one with the most darkstone is guarenteed to be targeted (highest prirority target).

Critical strike immunity:
In regards to the sermon "weaken", do slashers count as immune to critical strike because of their chitin ability?
In regards to skills that give you more damage on critical hits: Is the bonus damage still applied, while you can't ignore the defense, or do these shots/hits simply not count as critical hits and thus are treated like regular attacks in every regard (not getting any bonuses).

Does poison stack (swamps)? In the swamps otherworld you often get poisned when taking damage. So if you take damage and would have to apply poison because of it, do you get another poisned condition if you already have one?

superfluous elite abilities:
If for instance elite void spiders ambush attack you and their elite ability is that they ambush attack you, do you reroll the elite ability or do you basically get free XP for an elite ability that does nothing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) damage from town events stays till the start of the next adventure, your health only resets after an adventure, not after a town visit.

2) enemies and heroes deal damage differently, a hit from a hero deals 1d6 damage, a hit from an enemy deals x damage where x is listed on the enemy's information sheet. hits for which nothing is listed only do 1 damage. a succesful defense roll blocks 1 hit, regardless if that hit represents "1 damage", "x damage" or "1d6 damage".

3) I think they will indeed swarm that player until either he loses some darkstone or is killed.

4) cant say now

5) the poison counters stack, I think its worded as such in the swamps adventure book, while the void spider venom from Targa doesnt stack.

6) indeed, you dont need to reroll, though if you like your games tougher you can still do it by choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek VDG
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior is correct for all his answers.

Regarding #4 ... Slashers are not immune to critical hits. Their ability simply reduces the benefits of critical hits (i.e. the Slashers still get some Defense to apply against a critical hit). Only Enemies with TOUGH ignore critical hits, at the moment.

and yes, bonus damage still gets applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clark
msg tools
I don't think 3 is correct. Nothing in that ability says the targeting rule overrides the general rule of not doubling up until all eligible targets have one creature of that type. That rule just replaces the random targeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apesamongus wrote:
I don't think 3 is correct. Nothing in that ability says the targeting rule overrides the general rule of not doubling up until all eligible targets have one creature of that type. That rule just replaces the random targeting.

The confusion is rooted in the not so well written rules:

-) You can interpret the random targeting and the not doubling up as the standard targeting rules that get as a whole overwritten by the special targeting role.

-) You can interpret random targeting as the standard targeting rule that gets overwritten by the special rule, whereas the not doubling up can be seen as a more general rule that can't be overwritten.

Nevertheless nothing like this is explicitly stated, so I guess both is legit concerning the rulebook. However I was wondering how everyone else is playing this and as noone ever had asked about this thing on the boards I thought maybe there is a silent consent I'm not seeing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm.... guess there is not a silent consent

we play as.. e.g.
character #1 has 6 DS; c#2: 4; c#3: 1 c#4: none
so if 3 slashers appear, they would attack #1-3
2 slashers c#1&2 and so on...

About the critical hit on slashers.. how you guys play this situation. lets say that a slasher have the weaken sermon on (defense -2) and I get a critical hit on it. Per definition critical hits get slashers only down to defense 2.. but with the weaken sermon on.. we are playing that is is Zero defense... correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kell zilla
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chang_1910 wrote:
About the critical hit on slashers.. how you guys play this situation. lets say that a slasher have the weaken sermon on (defense -2) and I get a critical hit on it. Per definition critical hits get slashers only down to defense 2.. but with the weaken sermon on.. we are playing that is is Zero defense... correct?

This is the way we played, but it could also be that it does nothing to it. It depends on the order in which you apply the effects. Personally, we always apply crit effects immediately, then any buffs/reductions after that.

Crit first to take defense down to two, then weaken takes it down -2 for zero defense.

Weaken first to take it down to two, then crit reduces it to two, which is wasted. Two defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Søndergaard
Denmark
Kgs. Lyngby
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kellzilla wrote:

Weaken first to take it down to two, then crit reduces it to two, which is wasted. Two defense.

I guess it could be argued that this is the order in which the effects are actually applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.