Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, now that this game is in easy to find, I wanted to get into this game but wasn't sure what to buy. Should I buy both starter boxes (Avengers vs X-men and Uncanny X-men). Do I need both starters? I was thinking maybe getting getting the Avengers vs X-men starter and Uncanny Xmen setup box to have a nice box to store everything in. But would I miss something if I didn't get the 2nd starter box? And in addition, I was going to buy a box of boosters for each. Thanks for any input.

Is it worth it/better to buy lots off of ebay? I probably don't need rares, since I'm only going to play casually or with my kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vanek
United States
Twinsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You would miss out. The starter is better to get than the setup box as it doesn't have the contents of the starter. You miss out on all the starter characters and dice. Setup box is a pretty bad deal. Invest in a Plano instead and get the starters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You need at least one starter box for sure in order to get the sidekick dice. After that, it's really pretty open for whatever you want to do. If you buy two copies of the same starter box, the advantage is that you get the full number of dice for the heroes. Most heroes can bring 3 or 4 dice with them, but the starter box only comes with 2 and it would take a while to get them all through boosters. The game is totally playable with only 2 dice per hero, but it's nice to have a core group of heroes that you can max out.

I haven't looked very hard into buying second-hand stuff online, but I would be wary. People tend to have an over-inflated sense of what this stuff is worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most economical way to get a large amount for casual play is both starters + common/uncommon sets on eBay. You might want to get 2 common sets + 1 uncommon set for each, to get some more dice. Make sure the lots you bid on include the dice.

That will give you 2 of each character plus dice to support. Plenty enough for casual play/options and about the cost of a normal game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input. I'll take a look at ebay, but it does seem like the prices aren't that cheap. I may just get 1 starter each of the x-men vs avengers and uncanny x-men and then buy 1 each of the gravity boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That would also get you plenty of variety, and you'd get some rares as well (and more than likely a few super-rares you could sell to recoup some costs).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat as you. Here's what I'm doing

Buying each of the starter boxes (Uncanny, AvX). I'm also buying DnD but if I do end up getting that set it'll be in addition to Uncanny or AvX.

Then buy a complete set of uncommon/common for $25-30 off of ebay for Uncanny. Due to rarity AvX is like $40-50 so I'd rather buy a gravity feed for that one. However, I think I'll stick to just doing uncanny for now. By the time I'm ready for more cards DC will be out and i'll get that starter and sets.

That's probably your best deal for non competitive gaming. However I love opening packs so I might throw some money into the feeds depending on how much gameplay I get out of my starters and uncanny set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Lee
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I bought a gravity feed, would I get a complete common and uncommon set? Then I could sell of the rares and have my set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone has the kickstarter game "Fallen", I'm offering my Dice Masters "cube" for trade in the Trade forum.

It includes two starter set, a bunch of additional cards and dice from my collecting, some promo items, and some additional custom-made swag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tlee33 wrote:
If I bought a gravity feed, would I get a complete common and uncommon set?

Complete common set for sure, complete uncommons if you're lucky.

It is probably more cost effective to just buy complete commons and uncommons sets off ebay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Larson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
tlee33 wrote:
If I bought a gravity feed, would I get a complete common and uncommon set?

Complete common set for sure, complete uncommons if you're lucky.

It is probably more cost effective to just buy complete commons and uncommons sets off ebay.

How many dice of each character should one get? I see most of the commons and uncommon sets on ebay just have one die. I also see auctions with people just selling the dice. Is it cost effective to get a common and uncommon set (with 1 die for each character), then stock up on dice from a dice only auction? I've also been looking at CoolStuffInc.

If you can't tell, I'm looking to get into this as well. I'll be picking up one of each Marvel starters, maybe a set or two from ebay, and then favorite characters. This is just for casual play for me and my 8 year old son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theoretically, most cards allow you to have a maximum of 4 dice. So you'd want to have 4 of each die to allow you to have the maximum.

Realistically, the only ones you'll actually want 4 of while playing are the "cheap" ones that only cost 1-4 to buy. You're not going to be able to buy 4 7-cost dice during the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.