United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Big weekend for me. I bought a few cheap DVDs of movies I haven't seen in quite a while. Let's talk about the 10th entry into the Friday the 13th franchise.

1993 brought what was supposedly to be the final installation in the series (it wasn't). They even brought back the original producer and composer to try to make something special. Well they did, but not the kind of special I think they were going for.

At this point, even in the movies themselves, Jason is kind of a joke. I do need to say the initial setup was kind of clever: pretty girl shows up at the camp, does normal things like stripping down the her very 90s thong and taking a bath. Jason shows up, chases her around and then floodlights and a horribly, horribly inept special forces team of some kind put themselves into harms way by shooting in a large circle around Jason and then from somewhere some sort of explosive seems to completely miss Jason and then he blow up anyway. High fives!

Fast forward to a super-duper secure facility in Ohio where the unluckiest coroner ever gets to make jokes about Jason's corpse bits. Jason's heart starts to beat a few times and apparently that's what it takes to make coroner man eat it. Yup, he chows down on the big, slimy heart of Jason.

Get your own!
Apparently Jason can posses people because why the hell not? We then introduce a bunch of otherwise annoying characters including Erin Gray who must have run out of that sweet, sweet Buck Rogers money. Erin plays Diana, who is Jason's sister because why the hell not? Jason needs a blood relative to come back as his normal, svelte self and resume his teenager killing duties.

He tries to posses her, screws up and she gets killed instead. Not to worry, she has a daughter and grand daughter! Yay! There is more possessing going on including some weird shaving/bondage thing that will forever haunt my dreams.

50 shades of WTF?

Anyway, lots of pointless bullcrap later and we have the two main characters, What's-her-name and Scrawny-Dipshit, running from Jason with little baby Plot Device and scrambling for the very convenient magic, Jason-killing Voorhies knife in the Voorhies estate. Because, why the hell not?!!?

Jason gets stabbed, there are lots of crappy light-thingies all over the place and Jason gets dragged (literally) to Hell. Yay, we win because this F'in thing is over! Not quite yet!

Wow... where to start? Acting sucks. A plot so dumb that is's an insult to the word dumb. Silly special effects. Honestly the most offensive part of this whole crap-fest was the music. From the opening notes of the credits until the fade to black I kept daydreaming about flying to wherever Mr. Manfredini lives just so I can kick him in the junk.

I give this movies no stars and I know that I am now a worse person for having sat through this. If only they had stopped here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate these posts so I don't have to watch the film, but I was wondering, can someone watch and compare Friday the 13th VIII: Jason takes Manhattan and Jason Goes to Hell: the Final Friday?

I want to know which is worse, Hell or Manhattan.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
I really appreciate these posts so I don't have to watch the film, but I was wondering, can someone watch and compare Friday the 13th VIII: Jason takes Manhattan and Jason Goes to Hell: the Final Friday?

Thanks!
I do not currently own Manhattan or I would be willing to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Laudwic wrote:

Thanks!
I do not currently own Manhattan or I would be willing to do so.

They are both terrible. But at least in part 8, you do get to see Jason in action whereas in JgtH, since he's possessing people, the hockey mask clad Jason isn't in the movie much. Part 8 is unintentionally funny sometimes at least. I can't even watch JgtH because it's so bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been working my way through the Friday the 13th Complete Collection BD. (Currently on Freddy vs. Jason).
I actually liked Goes to Hell.
Acting was pretty darn bad, but there were some movies in the middle that totally lost all logic (yes, i understand the paradox in saying that.) The original motivation for Jason's rampages disappeared for a few movies till JGtH.

I liked GtH more than Manhattan.

I also really liked Jason X, it was crazy stupid and even more ridiculous but it definitely did something different.

Not to go too far afield, but the worst movie I've seen this year is Hot Tub Time Machine 2. (One of the best/most fun I've seen is Kingsman.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.