Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wayne Targo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like the title says.....

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/ae/7c...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Von Deekin wrote:
Dude, do you sit on FFG and hit refresh repeatedly?

Anyway, cool news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Targo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OrangeCat X wrote:
Von Deekin wrote:
Dude, do you sit on FFG and hit refresh repeatedly? :D

Anyway, cool news.

DANG! Ya caught me! :D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Reference is posted too:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/8c/86...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We now know the Victory is a medium sized ship, and that the Neb-B is small. Which means we are waiting to see a large ship...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mikael mordai
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a lot of x-wing stuff and i played the game 2 times so far so i dont know if i can justify buying this...at least until better ships then the ones in wave 1 comes out..like with x-wing i think they should do boxed campaigns instead of the random "kill the other guy"story..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm reading the rules right (doubtful) critical effects resolve regardless of shields. So unlike x-wing, shields don't prevent crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
tranenturm wrote:
If I'm reading the rules right (doubtful) critical effects resolve regardless of shields. So unlike x-wing, shields don't prevent crits.

I don't think that's correct. Re-read page 15 on Ship Damage. You knock shields down first, and then apply cards for hull damage. If you've scored a critical, then the first card is a face-up critical damage.

It doesn't work exactly like X-Wing, but it's close. You can only do one critical per attack, but you have to knock down shields first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

I don't think that's correct. Re-read page 15 on Ship Damage. You knock shields down first, and then apply cards for hull damage. If you've scored a critical, then the first card is a face-up critical damage.

It doesn't work exactly like X-Wing, but it's close. You can only do one critical per attack, but you have to knock down shields first.

Card was the word I was missing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The large ship base is listed as 76mm x 192mm. So almost twice as long as the medium ship 102mm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Monson
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that is only correct for dealing the face up damage card. Other Critical effects given by upgrade cards take effect regardless of shields, like those given by the Ion Cannon upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players can measure with the range ruler (either side) anytime they want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shriek shriek
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
think its safe to assume the large ships tag is reserved for the imperial star destroyer and mon cal cruiser. although im still waiting for that armada epic format 2 foot long executor. :-) lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
Do the rules change anything about one core being enough? I'm currently planning on supplying the game for my wife and me by buying one of everything (with a dice pack and extra maneuver tool), and I remember reading that the lone unknown was whether a second damage deck would be needed, and that there may be issues with the objective cards (unless you just draw one randomly as suggested in the rule book).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything that suggests a second core is needed. As objectives go, just write down on a slip of paper your three objectives (instead of selecting a physical card) and you don't even have to do the random objective. I believe the random objective aspect is simply FFG realizing that you can't both select the same set of physical cards in secret. It would never be their position that you can proxy cards. But of course you can proxy a card at home so normal objective selection is not a problem.

The damage deck MIGHT be a limitation, but I doubt it and as such I've only ordered a single core. Obviously for tournament play everyone needs their own damage deck, but I see no problems at all for casual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not have to build 300 point fleets. Try 150 pointers for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
tranenturm wrote:
I didn't see anything that suggests a second core is needed. As objectives go, just write down on a slip of paper your three objectives (instead of selecting a physical card) and you don't even have to do the random objective. I believe the random objective aspect is simply FFG realizing that you can't both select the same set of physical cards in secret. It would never be their position that you can proxy cards. But of course you can proxy a card at home so normal objective selection is not a problem.

The damage deck MIGHT be a limitation, but I doubt it and as such I've only ordered a single core. Obviously for tournament play everyone needs their own damage deck, but I see no problems at all for casual.

Those are good points. I'm still leaning toward getting a second core though; it's roughly $49 for a set after you factor in the cost of the dice pack and extra maneuver tool, and that nets you $51 worth of ships (VSD, Corvette, Nebulon-B).

I recall reading that you're unlikely to use 3 VSDs (though I'd love to try it at least once!) or 3 Nebulon-Bs (this is assuming you're getting one of each expansion), but the Corvette may be a ship a Rebel player may want to field three of. If you only value the extra Corvette then, you're at $36 (for kicks I could arbitrarily place a value of ~$16 or whatever on the third VSD as a desk ornament).

The evaluation for me then is whether or not the second range ruler, objective and damage decks, and (to a much lesser extent) squadrons are worth the leftover cost. That's a bit iffy for me right now, but what's muddying things a bit is the fact that the expansions won't be coming in until several weeks later; this adds an immediate-gratification element of sorts that is highly tempting to give in to.

EDIT: Read through my post and thought it was important to caveat that this line of thinking is specific to my situation as someone that is looking to play casually with his wife and has previously decided to buy one of each expansion, the dice pack and extra maneuver tool.

EDIT 2: This is using current Cardhaus preorder prices. Also, It will likely become cost-prohibitive to keep up two identical objective decks, so I'm more okay with the random-draw method. It becomes mostly about the damage deck then, and I could see that being released separately if demand is sufficient (and if it's even needed - I didn't see an indication in the rulebook that it was, even with the two-core setup).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember FFG posting a 5 corvette, Rebel "swarm". Also, with an extra Nebulon-B, I can try my hand at a repaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EternalVendetta wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

Those are good points. I'm still leaning toward getting a second core though; it's roughly $49 for a set after you factor in the cost of the dice pack and extra maneuver tool, and that nets you $51 worth of ships (VSD, Corvette, Nebulon-B).

I recall reading that you're unlikely to use 3 VSDs (though I'd love to try it at least once!) or 3 Nebulon-Bs (this is assuming you're getting one of each expansion), but the Corvette may be a ship a Rebel player may want to field three of. If you only value the extra Corvette then, you're at $36 (for kicks I could arbitrarily place a value of ~$16 or whatever on the third VSD as a desk ornament).

The evaluation for me then is whether or not the second range ruler, objective and damage decks, and (to a much lesser extent) squadrons are worth the leftover cost. That's a bit iffy for me right now, but what's muddying things a bit is the fact that the expansions won't be coming in until several weeks later; this adds an immediate-gratification element of sorts that is highly tempting to give in to.

EDIT: Read through my post and thought it was important to caveat that this line of thinking is specific to my situation as someone that is looking to play casually with his wife and has previously decided to buy one of each expansion, the dice pack and extra maneuver tool.

EDIT 2: This is using current Cardhaus preorder prices. Also, It will likely become cost-prohibitive to keep up two identical objective decks, so I'm more okay with the random-draw method. It becomes mostly about the damage deck then, and I could see that being released separately if demand is sufficient (and if it's even needed - I didn't see an indication in the rulebook that it was, even with the two-core setup).

I'm confused about the bolded part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie L

New Jersey
msg tools
monkeykins wrote:
EternalVendetta wrote:
tranenturm wrote:

I'm confused about the bolded part.

As I understand it, the objective selection at the beginning of each game involves each player coming in with three objectives that they've selected, one each of three different types. In doing this, you may want to have two objective decks so that each player has the full pool to choose from,unless you have each player just write their three down or proxy the cards (as had been suggested earlier in this thread IIRC).

My concern is if one does want to have two identical objective decks (as I would prefer to do over the other two methods), that you'd have to buy two of any future expansions that come with objective cards. If that's the case, I'm probably okay with just randomly drawing an objective at the start of each game (or maybe each player selects three objectives from a random hand given out at the beginning of each game).

EDIT: ordered a second core after seeing wave 2 pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn aobut the objectives as well. I only plan to uae this for casual play with friends and family, so if I only have one core, I will always be doing the random objective draw. But, given cost, etc. that might still be the best way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the desire to not use proxies of some sort, but objective cards is an easy one for me. So long as the selection is made in secret and somehow recorded, you still have the physical card for actual game play. For cards used DURING the battle, yeah its nice to have the real thing. But there will only ever be a single objective present and active during the actual game. Its not like the non-picked objectives serve an purpose at all. So they go back into the box. Or back into thin air.

Buying a $100 MSRP box to get a second set of objectives, that is FAR down my list of benefits. If you use the rest of stuff and get a decent price, then great. But if cost control is an issue, skip the second core and never look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hanson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and I are each purchasing one core set, with the intent to swap faction-specific cards/ships for individual games to allow us to build larger fleets. We'll see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting observation: you can go speed 0. That's a big difference from X-Wing and Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:
Interesting observation: you can go speed 0. That's a big difference from X-Wing and Attack Wing.

Comes with a pretty huge drawback though: You can't spend defense tokens if you are at speed 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.