Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

For those of you who don't check their homepage religously, FFG has already posted a FAQ here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/PDF/descentfaq.pdf

Most notabley, Furr got leashed! He can't attack unless his master has LOS to him AND is within 5 squares. Also, he has a melee attack for those of us who were wondering about the white die.

Named monsters can no longer be penned in by runelocked doors. And thankfully, there are now official rules for big monsters and Knockback. I always though it was weird that Demons got flung as far as Kobolds, didn't you?

Lets help em out guys. What did they miss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if FFG ever publish a set of rules that was clear and accurate, they wouldn't need to post a FAQ a week after releases. Good grief.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are clear and accurate. My sense is they didn't consider some of the ramifications of those clear and accurate rules, and thus needed to change them only a week after release.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you notice though that this FAQ states:

Errata and FAQs for The Well Of Darkness Expansion are on page 5 of this document.

The FAQ only has 4 pages...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew DiGregorio
United States
West Babylon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a scary clown!
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
Did you notice though that this FAQ states:

Errata and FAQs for The Well Of Darkness Expansion are on page 5 of this document.

The FAQ only has 4 pages...

so, the Errata is going to need errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Errata clearly states its a BETA so... Don't be too hard on it.

No official fix for 2-player balance which is unplayable without house rules, but otherwise the FAQ is very welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I just thought of one they didn't get. Larurel of Bloodwood's hero ability reads:

"After rolling a Ranged attack, Laurel may spend 1 fatigue to convert any extra range she rolled into damage on a one-for-one basis."

Is it supposed to read "1 fatigue = convert ALL range extra into extra damage," or is it "1 fatigue = convert ONE extra range into 1 extra damage."

It's a nit-pick, but I play with rules lawyers :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:
"1 fatigue = convert ALL range extra into extra damage,"

Pretty sure it's this one.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the key part is "one-for-one basis"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Octavian wrote:
The rules are clear and accurate. My sense is they didn't consider some of the ramifications of those clear and accurate rules, and thus needed to change them only a week after release.

-MMM

Well, fine. Throw "Comprehensive" in and you see the problem. I agree FFG makes neat games, and I know your a fan Matt, but you have to admit their propensity for lighting-fast FAQ releases is a bit on the silly side. I'm just the tinyest bit sick of it, as it can be a right pain to figure out which rule is what in something like Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Champie
United States
Eureka
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C.H.A.D. wrote:

Here's the nit pick that came up in our game, though.

Is the one-for-one basis applied to

a) range to damage

b) fatigue to conversion

where 'conversion' is one range to one damage. Rules lawyers :<

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Well, fine. Throw "Comprehensive" in and you see the problem. I agree FFG makes neat games, and I know your a fan Matt, but you have to admit their propensity for lighting-fast FAQ releases is a bit on the silly side. I'm just the tinyest bit sick of it, as it can be a right pain to figure out which rule is what in something like Arkham Horror.

Just for reference, my post wasn't meant to excuse them. It was meant to focus the criticism in the right place It's playtesting. Shock and horror, I know.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:
Octavian wrote:

-MMM

Wait...are you complaining that they post their FAQs quickly?

Remember that, even though the FAQ came out right after the expansion, the rules have been done, finalized, and sent off to the printers for at least a month now, probably more. It's not quite as amazing a turnaround as it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
The problem here is the fact that FFG, after so called periods of "extensive play testing", consistently produces games with flaws that the average consumer can spot by briefly flicking through the rules. No ones complaining that they managed the incredible feat of producing a pdf in under a week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
When did I say that?
In general I tend to feel their games have a lot of potential, thats what makes the half assed jobs they tend to push on us all the more frustrating. Otherwise i wouldnt bother bitching about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Wraith
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan (MI)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mateybob wrote:
The problem here is the fact that FFG, after so called periods of "extensive play testing", consistently produces games with flaws that the average consumer can spot by briefly flicking through the rules. No ones complaining that they managed the incredible feat of producing a pdf in under a week.

Actually, no one brought up the problem with Furr until the expansion was actually released. The rules were on FFG's website a couple months prior to release. Some things don't occur until you see them in action. Granted, playtesting should have revealed the possibility of tossing Furr inside a rune door and letting him whittle the monsters down to nothing. But, in my experience, game designers frequently play and test games for the joy of playing the game (i.e. does this work? Is it fun?), as opposed to finding out how they can win by the letter of the rules rather than the spirit. Every game company I've ever purchased from has had these problems (the Urza block for M:TG comes quickly to mind...) FFG is no exception.

Mike Z, of course, has been organizing an external playtest program for FFG for some time now. Everyone involved is hoping that it leads to cleaner releases. But, in all honesty, that doesn't concern me so much (and, IMO, it shouldn't concern other people as much as it does.) I'd rather the games simply be fun to play, rather than competitively perfect. In the past few years, FFG has been releasing some great games and I'm a firm fan, even if there are niggling little problems here and there. As always, if there's a minor problem, just house rule it. Even if it's not a genuine 'problem', go ahead and house rule it if it makes the play better for your group (we've now split the massive Market deck for Runebound into two- allies and items -and draw from both for each visit to town. It makes for nice variety.) If your group is so concerned about the competitive balance of every game you play, I think you're missing out on some of the better aspects of the experience (and I play GW games religiously, so I know of what I speak in all permutations of that statement...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Just to be clarify one thing:

Well of Darkness was already completed before I took over the external playtest program. It just took forever to actually get published.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jackwraith wrote:

Actually, no one brought up the problem with Furr until the expansion was actually released. The rules were on FFG's website a couple months prior to release.

You are kidding, right? I didn't even menage to download the rules when they were released before someone was already posting that Furr was broken on the FFG board. Just noone official was listening/commenting/fixing it until this FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
kilrah wrote:
Just noone official was listening/commenting/fixing it until this FAQ.

To be fair, nothing needed to be fixed until the expansion was actually released.

Mike Z

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right. However at least in the case of Furr I kinda expected a revised rulebook as it was noticed so early. Not a big deal all in all of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Rodriguez
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'm glad to hear that Well of Darkness wasn't externally tested. That gives us hope that things will be better in the future. Hopefully these external tests are using different people counts (2,3,4,5) too so future releases can be balanced.

And like someone above said. If it was a bad game, there would be less bitching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Walton
United States
Springfield
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scuzball wrote:
C.H.A.D. wrote:

Here's the nit pick that came up in our game, though.

Is the one-for-one basis applied to

a) range to damage

b) fatigue to conversion

where 'conversion' is one range to one damage. Rules lawyers :<

The term "one-for-one" refers to what is being converted which in this case is extra range into damage. If it was meant the other way why would they say "one-for-one" instead of simply stating she may spend one fatigue to convert all extra range into damage? I guess they could possibly mean she can convert all the extra range into damage for each fatigue she spends but that is really stretching it (and that is more of how they would have stated it). Besides if that were true she could walk up and blow away any monster in the game with a store bought bow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The criticism and invariable rapid defence of the latest FFG release is taking on the feeling of something like a long running play. All the same players with the same well worn lines.

While those who don't like to hear criticsm of FFG are clearly satisfied, Its evident from reading the boards here that many people who have bought a FFG game have been left with a bit of a bad taste in their mouths. That reaction obviously doesn't worry them but it would me if I worked for FFG.

Does anyone even actually disagree that their weakness (to date) has been rules clarity and playtesting? The issue seems simply that some don't see it as a problem to their enjoyment of the game while others do.

IMO its a bit rich to take the "if I don't have a problem with it then you shouldnt either line". Similarly, the "well don't buy it if you don't like rules that aren't 100% right" is pretty silly as well. No game (particularly games with complex interactions like many ffg games) is perfect but who ever asked for perfection?

I love FFG games and I think a lot of the people who post critical things about individual games and the company do as well. I've posted critical things about FFG's playtesting and some balance issues in the past because I wanted them to improve. I think overwhelmingly others have done so for the same reason. What I've found personally frustrating in the past is that it seemed like these issues could be fairly easily fixed with a bit of focus. The core of the games are great.

It certainly sounds like thats a general message that FFG has received and the changes to their external playtesting seem positive. Would they have done that without their customers's feedback?

I'm certainly happy to wait and see how FFG go with their new releases given their apparent change in focus to give more attention to playtesting issues. While I doubt they will ever get to the point where they don't need errata, Im hopeful that as they refine their procedures over time more issues get resolved prior to release rather than after.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say I've ever had to look up a FAQ for any Fantasy Flight Game. We have added things and made amendements from FAQ but these were things just discovered from general browsing, not through specifically looking for rules clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.