Popular Tags: [View All]
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Check out Update 35 - a hardback book with all the extra goodness some people were asking for. Includes a "painting tutorial". No price announced yet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it depend on its readers to fix plot mistakes and write the book themselves?

Sorry, I had to. I got nothing against the game, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's kind of odd is that this hardcover book is outdated as soon as the next expansion kickstarter launches a couple years from now. Otherwise, this sounds interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just not seeing the value in this. At least not if the price tag is in the $50 price range, which I'm guessing it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this is a strange idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:
What's kind of odd is that this hardcover book is outdated as soon as the next expansion kickstarter launches a couple years from now. Otherwise, this sounds interesting.

I'm being completely serious - what's outdated for next KS? Here's the list of contents:

At 209 pages I really hope the bulk of this is Lore, Tutorials, Keith's Art. I'm not too thrilled with this being a hardback rule book. I can see why they might have included those elements, however.

Maybe this started off as a lore/art/painting book and grew into something more. I hope they release more information about this, but I see the potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
I'm just not seeing the value in this. At least not if the price tag is in the $50 price range, which I'm guessing it will.

I am hoping for some more details that will educate us on the value. I agree, this is probably going to be a $50 add-on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone that owns the 1.0 MERCS tabletop hard cover rule book I'm definitely intrigued. The photos and layouts were invaluable for painting.

The actual rules of the game in that book was a pretty small proportion in terms of all the other content (stories, general art, etc...)

I seem to think that book was around $50 retail but sold for closer to $30 (at least, when I purchased it that was the pricing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Phantom Load wrote:
As someone that owns the 1.0 MERCS tabletop hard cover rule book I'm definitely intrigued. The photos and layouts were invaluable for painting.

The actual rules of the game in that book was a pretty small proportion in terms of all the other content (stories, general art, etc...)

I seem to think that book was around $50 retail but sold for closer to $30 (at least, when I purchased it that was the pricing).

Mike, can you elaborate on the painting tutorial section of the tabletop book? Did it cover all the different factions in MERCS, or just a single one? I suspect they'll borrow from that book when it comes to content, layout, etc.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally speculative estimate

2.0 rules = 36 pgs
expansion rules = 2/exp = 4 pgs
Novice/JM Heroes (29 classes per JS Update #34) = 2/class = 2*29 = 58 pgs
Your First Quest = 4 pgs
Slaughterfield = 2
Bar Fight = 2
Exclusive Module = 12 pgs (size of Fireborne pdf)
Painting Tut = 10 pgs

128 pages

So 80 pages for art, maps, lore, table of contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Phantom Load wrote:

Mike, can you elaborate on the painting tutorial section of the tabletop book? Did it cover all the different factions in MERCS, or just a single one? I suspect they'll borrow from that book when it comes to content, layout, etc.

Thanks!

There were no painting instructions in the 1.0 rulebook. He said that all of the pics of the individual figures helped him to paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The part that intrigues me the most is the painting tutorial. But I'm going to start painting these way before it comes, so I'll most likely pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
The part that intrigues me the most is the painting tutorial. But I'm going to start painting these way before it comes, so I'll most likely pass.

Why, when there are literally hundreds of these out there available for free?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:

Well I hope these painting tutorials are mainly for content in the Journeyman KS and not the original KS. That'd be a missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned. I realize the example showed something from the first KS - understandable given nothing's been made yet for this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
charlest wrote:

I'm being completely serious - what's outdated for next KS? Here's the list of contents:

At 209 pages I really hope the bulk of this is Lore, Tutorials, Keith's Art. I'm not too thrilled with this being a hardback rule book. I can see why they might have included those elements, however.

Maybe this started off as a lore/art/painting book and grew into something more. I hope they release more information about this, but I see the potential.

I assume the intent here is to create a one stop shop for rules. I imagine the next kickstarter would have a similar book that compiles the rules from the previous book into the new one, as opposed to just adding another Hardcover book with just the new expansion rules.

Also, 2.0 is just another build/version. I'm fairly positive we'll see a 2.1 and eventually a 3.0 possibly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:
I assume the intent here is to create a one stop shop for rules. I imagine the next kickstarter would have a similar book that compiles the rules from the previous book into the new one, as opposed to just adding another Hardcover book with just the new expansion rules.

Also, 2.0 is just another build/version. I'm fairly positive we'll see a 2.1 and eventually a 3.0 possibly.

I sure would encourage them to leave the rules out of this book. We are all getting the rules - why do we need another copy? It just wastes space AND like you said, will likely change after 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:

There were no painting instructions in the 1.0 rulebook. He said that all of the pics of the individual figures helped him to paint.

Yup. Sorry if that wasn't clear. No tutorials - just lots of great reference photos of both painted figures and sketches. The 1.0 MERCS TT rule book is about 170 pages with the rules taking up about 60 pages. There's tons of pictures and tutorials inter-spliced with those 60 pages worth of rules so I don't know how it would work out if it was just text and minimal diagrams. So the balance of the book is faction info, art and a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The MERCS book was pretty much what you get with any published miniatures game: rules, fluff, and lots of pics - some of the minis, some fluff-type art. The key part of that book though is that you needed it in order to play the game. The full rules aren't available anywhere else.

In this case, everyone should already have the rules, so you've got to decide whether the extra fluff will be worth the price tag. I'm disappointed b/c the unnecessary rules just increase the price tag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marianne osborne
United States
morgan hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The price in the KS is $40, well worth it for the lore alone and of course Keith's artwork!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davro33 wrote:
hatchhermit wrote:

Which I have watched many.

For this it's because I assume that it will help me get the coloring of the original art down easier. I'm a beginner and mixing isn't my strong suit.

Edit: But colors used being included might be too much to assume.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2.0 rules in hardcover, no thanks. Other stuff might be cool, but leave the rules out of it. Waste of space. I'd rather see 36 blank pages so i can write my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's the beauty of add-ons; no need to buy if you do not want to.

Also, what was update 39? Did you mean of some other KS or did you make a typo? (there are only 35 updates at this time on the Journeyman KS)

I, personally, am undecided. It isn't that I do not like it, but more so that there are so many other great add ons (All In especiallY) that I am not sure I'll be able to get the book.

I would like having a hardcover though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hatchhermit wrote:
davro33 wrote:
hatchhermit wrote:

Which I have watched many.

For this it's because I assume that it will help me get the coloring of the original art down easier. I'm a beginner and mixing isn't my strong suit.

Edit: But colors used being included might be too much to assume.

Mentioning specific colors/mixes would also require them to mention which brands of paints each painter is using. Something most companies are hesitant to do. Especially if the painter is mixing 2 or more brands worth of paints. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
they have said this book will be eligible for September shipment so not a terribly long wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
charlest wrote:

That and the $40 price tag are the main reason why I probably won't get it. Hopefully they'll make a PDF version available...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.