Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Barringer
United States
Rushford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Acquire, published in 1962, has withstood the test of time. It predates most of the games still played by people on this site, and yet retains a ranking of 43. This clearly states to me that it has some outstanding qualities and is worth owning and playing. The question I want to address in this review, however, is with how many people Acquire should be played. Is it good with 3, 4, 5, and 6 players, or is it better with certain sized groups?

I have had the opportunity to play Acquire 20 or so times in the past few years, with varying numbers of players. I thoroughly enjoy the game with 5-6 players, I like it with 4, but I find 3 to be too few. I will elaborate. With 5-6 players the game can take many turns. You as a player are trying to keep track of the number of stocks each player has in seven different corporations. On top of that you have a greater number of people constantly adding to the board, making each of your own plays more significant. If you are only adding one tile for every 6 going on the board, it stands to reason that your play becomes more intense.

With 4 players this starts to diminish, but can still be satisfying depending on who you are playing with. My real problem comes when I play a 3 player game. Every 3 player game I've played has been dominated by one person. They end up holding all of the crucial tiles while the others try to salvage what they can from the wreckage. It is also much easier to remember how much stock each person has in each corporation. This detracts from the general brain-buzz experienced by trying to focus on a lot of things at once. Some people might consider that a good thing, but I am not one of them. I want to be forced to think when I play a game. Each of my actions should be crucial and a mis-step should have me on the precipice of disaster. I have not experienced that in the three person version of the game. Perhaps I have just been unlucky, but I don't think I will be playing with less than 5 any time in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is better with 4 or less. You have a lot more control over what the board ends up looking like with less people placing tiles.

If you are only afdding 1 in six tiles the play is more random, that may increase intensity, but it lowers the amout of control and planning you can have over a game. I do not think i would even entertain playing this with 6 people.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teacher Fletcher
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the NetAcquire system, where a few dozen fanatics play online regularly, the games are only ever played with 3 or 4.

For whatever that's worth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.