Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Hoctor
United States
Independence
KY
flag msg tools
Gurus,
We have been playing Marvel Dice Masters for a few weeks and just started playing D&D Dice masters this last weekend. Our experience with both (mostly basic parties; 6 cards, 15 dice) has been that games end so quickly that we rarely get an opportunity to purchase, let along use a 6 or 7 cost die (even when we boost to 20 life.) We have tried quite a few different teams both our own and internet recommended and find games end very quickly. D&D only has one expansion so far but it seems even faster than Marvel. I am all for a quick fun game but it seems that many of the dice won't get to see play. Just wondering if this is everyone's experience.
Peace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Bump it up to 8 cards, 20 dice, 20 life. You'd be surprised how much that 5 life can extend a game.

2. Combine the sets. Get Professor X Global from UXM rolling and you can buy a 7 cost die on turn two.

3. Thin your bag - figure out a way to keep sidekicks/NPCs out of your bag, that way you will be drawing more non-NPC dice, meaning more potential energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoctor
United States
Independence
KY
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick response Unfortunately we have been playing with 20 life boost. We have found a few ways to lengthen games a bit but they tend to be very dependent on a very few available card mechanics, e.g. your Prof X suggestion. I was able to work out a Beast: Genetic Expert combo that slowed game down a bit. When we build 8 card (tournament style) it seems to just give us more ways to kill the opponent even more quickly, lol. But all in all it seems that 20 life goes pretty darn quickly no matter what we try We are thinking of House Ruling 25 life . Definitely love the game (esp D&D version) just wish we found a way to utilize the higher cost dice more.
Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
1. Bump it up to 8 cards, 20 dice, 20 life. You'd be surprised how much that 5 life can extend a game.

I agree, a 6/15 and 8/20 are practically 2 completely different games in how they tend to play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is meant to be played at 20 life. And yeah, it can go quick. That's why tournaments are usually best-of-three wins.

Higher-cost characters being hard to use is sadly a known issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor MacLeod
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Our experience with both (mostly basic parties; 6 cards, 15 dice) has been that games end so quickly that we rarely get an opportunity to purchase, let along use a 6 or 7 cost die (even when we boost to 20 life.)

Yep, after 3-4 games Friday night, we were thinking the same thing. Not an exhaustive test; we need to try a few where at least one of us is focusing on bringing out the big guns, but I strongly suspect that 20 life is not enough to make that strategy work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ravenwolf64 wrote:
Gurus,
We have been playing Marvel Dice Masters for a few weeks and just started playing D&D Dice masters this last weekend. Our experience with both (mostly basic parties; 6 cards, 15 dice) has been that games end so quickly that we rarely get an opportunity to purchase, let along use a 6 or 7 cost die (even when we boost to 20 life.) We have tried quite a few different teams both our own and internet recommended and find games end very quickly. D&D only has one expansion so far but it seems even faster than Marvel. I am all for a quick fun game but it seems that many of the dice won't get to see play. Just wondering if this is everyone's experience.
Peace!

There are a few tricks built into the D&D set to get the big guys out. The Red Dragon's global ability makes things cheaper by two. When the uncommon Elf Wizard blocks she moves action dice to the prep areat, which can give two energy. The Resurrection action global ability allows an extra shield to be spent to add a die to the prep area.

Kobolds can also be effective. At a one cost, you can get them in your bag quickly and then roll them for energy.

Still though, as others have said the big cost guys are your end game condition, not your opener.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't already, try drafting cards or something similar, instead of building teams. The way I typically play, we each take turns drawing three cards from one stack of all of them shuffled together and choosing one, then discarding the other two. If anyone draws a character that's already been chosen, discard and draw a replacement (because we play off of one set). You lose out on the chance to build specific synergies into a team, but there's a lot more opportunity to get the larger creatures out and find interesting combos and uses for abilities you might not have considered.

That style of play may not be your cup of tea, and it doesn't solve the issue completely, but it can make for some more varied and interesting games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trumboliscious wrote:
If you haven't already, try drafting cards or something similar, instead of building teams. The way I typically play, we each take turns drawing three cards from one stack of all of them shuffled together and choosing one, then discarding the other two. If anyone draws a character that's already been chosen, discard and draw a replacement (because we play off of one set). You lose out on the chance to build specific synergies into a team, but there's a lot more opportunity to get the larger creatures out and find interesting combos and uses for abilities you might not have considered.

That style of play may not be your cup of tea, and it doesn't solve the issue completely, but it can make for some more varied and interesting games.

So each player draws 3 cards and only the player that drew them gets to draft from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Helland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Trumboliscious wrote:

We've been doing a similar thing based on MTG's Solomon Draft: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/18666758#18666758

With D&D, weve added an equipment option we are testing. If you draft an equipable character, you can axe a team member at the end of the draft to get a random equipment card/dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Trumbo
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okami31 wrote:
So each player draws 3 cards and only the player that drew them gets to draft from them?

That's the way we do it-- we find it takes the focus off "What card should I deny my opponent?" and instead puts it on "What do I want to play with?" That way you can pass up a "better" card for something you wouldn't normally play and not worry about it coming back to ruin your fun later.

And really it's just an example-- find something that's fun and works for you and the people you play with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fortune
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I started playing this game recently and I noticed the game seemed a little too short for my taste. Actually I noticed the game being too short more so with the super hero version.

We played a couple of games to 40 life points and totally enjoyed it. It gives you a nice channce to really develop your better creatures.

I would love to see this system be adapted to some kind of co-op adventure system where you go through a dungeon or something. That would be a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E S
msg tools
galathonredd wrote:
If you're going to be playing D&D pure and not mixing in other sets, max out on one or two Cost-2 dice, pick a Cost-3 and/or Cost-4 you like, and maybe two dice on a Cost-5 or two. You should rarely have more than one or two dice at or above Cost-6, since you can't reliably buy them often. And don't be scared to get close to any global or effect that increases your draw, since that means faster cycling and more energy per roll - Resurrection's global, Swarm effects, etc.

If you want to get big D&D critters out fast, pick Resurrection and Charm as your Globals and Red Dragon as one of your creatures (you only need put one die on it; you're mainly using the global). Purchase a Charm die in round 1 and possibly round 2. This gives you a pretty good shot at having 6 available energy on round 3 or 4, possibly 7 if you play the Res global right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.