Subject: Moving the Omen rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
The basic instructions for the game say to move the Omen one space clockwise if you draw a Mythos card with the corresponding symbol, yet the detailed reference sheet says to move the Omen the number of spaces indicated, moving Doom forwards based on the number of Gates matching each symbol passed along the way. I see no other references to moving the Omen more than one space, so was this mechanic perhaps removed before the game was published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Number of spaces indicated where?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Scotts getting confused between the Omen Track and the Doom Track?

The Omen Track moves clockwise by one (normally!) and the Doom Track advances depending on the gates matching the Omen Track,

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horner
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a mythos card has you advance the omen, you move the omen clockwise one space, then advance the doom track one space (toward 0) for each gate on the board that matches the new omen symbol. The idea is to encourage you to close gates to keep doom under control, but still give you *some* expectation of when doom will advance and by how much.

Of course some encounter cards and mythos effects can advance the omen in a counterclockwise direction or by more than one space at a time (in such a case, you advance doom based on each symbol you pass, not just the final one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Reference Guide, page 9:

When the Omen advances, move the Omen token the indicated number of spaces clockwise around the Omen track one space at a time. For each space it enters, advance Doom by one for each Gate on the game board that corresponds to the current Omen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmw90 wrote:
Reference Guide, page 9:

When the Omen advances, move the Omen token the indicated number of spaces clockwise around the Omen track one space at a time. For each space it enters, advance Doom by one for each Gate on the game board that corresponds to the current Omen.

Yeah, their two diff things on the gameboard.

You need to look hard at the gameboard where the text is written for the Omen Track (top-right corner) and the Doom Track (top section with numbers) to understand what's written in the quote above, but the Doom ref is always the Doom Track that it's talking about, the topmost of the board with the numbers 19 -> 0.

Any ref to Doom, i.e. advance, retreat, etc, is always a ref to the Doom Track (numbers at the top of the board),

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
I know the difference between Doom and the Omen. My question is that the Reference Guide states that the Omen token can be moved more than one space at once, yet I see nothing on the Mythos cards to indicate how many spaces to move it. The Reference Guide clearly specifies that it's talking about the Omen track, i.e. the four constellations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottmw90 wrote:
I know the difference between Doom and the Omen. My question is that the Reference Guide states that the Omen token can be moved more than one space at once, yet I see nothing on the Mythos cards to indicate how many spaces to move it. The Reference Guide clearly specifies that it's talking about the Omen track, i.e. the four constellations.

OK, I don't think any of us got that from the original question you asked.

P10 of the main Rulebook states you move the Omen by one if the Mythos Card effect is an "Advance Omen" element, but that's not the only thing that moves the Omen Track in the whole game.

Other cards and Events can also force the Omen Track to move, i.e. Move the Omen Track two Spaces or Move the Omen Track anti-clockwise by three spaces to blah-de-blah, so the ref your talking about is to cover everything that causes the Omen Track to move, not just the Mythos cards. The more you play the game, the more you'll come across these other effects,

Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott W
United Kingdom
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Aaah, that has to be it! Thanks for clearing it up. Sorry for being unclear in my original question; it was late at night and I was half asleep when I posted the question before I forgot about it gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorlab wrote:

Other cards and Events can also force the Omen Track to move, i.e. Move the Omen Track two Spaces or Move the Omen Track anti-clockwise by three spaces to blah-de-blah,

Walts

And per the ref guide, you should also update the doom track accordingly, or that's what I'm doing. However, a mythos card event that moves the track anticlockwise specifies that you should check for portals and move the doom track. Wondering if that's to clear up that anticlockwise rotation also counts or if non-mythos omen advances do not affect the doom track by default.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
And per the ref guide, you should also update the doom track accordingly, or that's what I'm doing. However, a mythos card event that moves the track anticlockwise specifies that you should check for portals and move the doom track. Wondering if that's to clear up that anticlockwise rotation also counts or if non-mythos omen advances do not affect the doom track by default.

The mythos card specifies that you advance doom because normally, if you set the omen, it doesn't advance doom. They were making sure you knew that this backwards movement of the omen didn't count as "setting" it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Spain
Coruña
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:

The mythos card specifies that you advance doom because normally, if you set the omen, it doesn't advance doom. They were making sure you knew that this backwards movement of the omen didn't count as "setting" it.

Ummmm. I think it's the opposite:

Quote:

No matter how you set the omen (I.e., by event text instead of the black Icon), doom progresses according to opened gates. If you are instructed to move it twice from, say, green comet to Blue and red, you'd have to advance the doom token once for each blue and red gate.

They probably specify that the backwards movement also triggers doom because anticlockwise movement technically isn't "advancing"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zosete wrote:
Xelto wrote:

Ummmm. I think it's the opposite:

Quote:

No matter how you set the omen (I.e., by event text instead of the black Icon), doom progresses according to opened gates.

Sorry. "Setting" is the local shorthand for "move the omen token to the space of your choice without advancing doom." I forgot that it wasn't a universal definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.